|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit featured in Mobile Suit Variations; if you are looking for the article on RGM-79KC GM Intercept Custom featured in Mobile Suit Discovery then you should head to RGM-79KC GM Intercept Custom/Origin.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GM Intercept Custom is a late production version of the GM Sniper Custom. Its change in appearance is to reduce cost, for ease of production, and to facilitate the use of the "Fellow Booster" - a space-use assault booster unit that improves the suit's mobility, operational range and firepower. As its name implies, the GM Intercept Custom is meant to intercept enemy units, playing a role in protecting the fleet. The basic performance of the GM Intercept Custom is the same as that of the GM Sniper Custom's, so it has no problem fighting even if the Fellow Booster is somehow rendered inoperable. The main weaponry of the GM Intercept Custom includes a beam saber, a beam spray gun, head vulcans and missile launchers on the Fellow Booster.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing weapon built into the head. Though not powerful, its high rate of fire meant it was employed to intercept incoming missiles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The GM Intercept Custom has one beam saber stored on the rear waist armor. It is positioned so as not to interfere with the Fellow Booster.
- BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun
- A handheld beam gun with a lower focusing rate than a beam rifle and short range. The beam spray gun features three different firing modes: a basic single shot mode, a burst shot mode for area suppression, and a range shot mode that scatters the beam to cause damage over a wide area. Output 1.4 MW.
- E-2 Beam Spray Gun
- An improved version of the beam spray gun that was redesigned for the Sniper Custom series.
- BOWA BR-M-79L-3 R-4 Type Beam Rifle
- The R-4 type beam rifle was designed specifically for the Sniper Custom series, its range and output have been increased, but it has a smaller ammo capacity. The rifle's barrel, stock, and scope can be folded when not in use.
- 6-tube Missile Launcher
- A pair of missile launchers are mounted on each side of the Fellow Booster.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-007 Shield
- An improved model of the RGM-M-Sh-003. It has the exact same size as its predecessor, but its material was changed to Titanium-Ceramic composite. Its mount latch was made movable, allowing the shield to be positioned up or down when carried by a Mobile Suit manipulator or mounted on the forearm, increasing its usability.
- Balzak Type 380mm Rocket Bazooka
- An optional MS-use Bazooka developed for the GM Series. Besides having enhanced accuracy due to the sensor mounted on top of the weapon, it is also lightweight, easy to use and has high shooting performance.
- FXA-03M2 Hyper Mega Launcher
Special Equipment & Features
- Fellow Booster
- Following the successful development of the RGM-79 GM, the Earth Federation began working on armament unit that could enhance the mobile suit's operational range and firepower. Although there existed the G-Armor that served similar role for the RX-78 Gundam, due to cost and production issues, the Earth Federation decided on developing new armament units. The space-use Fellow Booster was developed after the development of the atmospheric use Lightliner and Corvette Booster. The Fellow Booster is armed with a pair of missile launchers and used the same frame as the Corvette Booster, thus it could be produced on the same production line. Thanks to its excellent performance, an additional 45 units were ordered during the post-war period.
The RGM-79KC GM Intercept Custom is assigned to SCV-71 White Base Jr.. It first appeared in the One Year War battling a squad of Zaku IIs and Doms. Ten GM Intercept Custom units were produced late in the war.