|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit featured in MSV-R; if you are looking for the article on RGM-79HC GM Guard Custom featured in Mobile Suit Discovery then you should head to RGM-79HC GM Guard Custom/Origin.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GM Guard Custom is a minor change variation of the GM Sniper Custom created during the final stages of the One Year War. It was developed primarily to defend allied units, and to guard the fleet as well as various military facilities. As the GM Sniper Custom served as its base machine, the GM Guard Custom maintains high mobility yet has enhanced defensive abilities like its huge shield - the "Guardian Shield". During combat, a movable visor on the head would be lowered and is equipped with composite sensor system. The high performance of the machine resulted in it being difficult to control, thus it is mainly used by skilled mobile suit pilots. This also contributed to many of the GM Guard Customs surviving the war.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing weapon built into the head. Though not powerful, its high rate of fire meant it was employed to intercept incoming missiles, etc.
- Shoulder Vulcan Gun
- Besides the head vulcan guns, the GM Guard Custom has another two vulcan guns on the top of its torso.
- Beam Dagger
- A weapon that emits a short beam blade for close combat, the GM Guard Custom stores two beam daggers in forearm-mounted cases. Capable of emitting their beam blades while stored, allowing for direct use, they can also be removed from their cases and used as handheld weapons.
- THI BSjG01 Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The GM Guard Custom stores two beam sabers in an unknown location.
- E-2 Beam Spray Gun
- A handheld beam gun that was redesigned for the Sniper Custom series, the GM Guard Custom can carry a pair that are stored on the side armor when not in use.
- Guardian Shield
- A characteristic custom armament created for the GM Guard Custom, the guardian shield is a huge shield that consisted of five layers made of four different metallic alloys. This design is meant to protect against penetration by and impact from physical projectiles. The shield also has anti-beam coating on its surface to defend against beam weaponry. The effectiveness of this shield can be seen by the high number of GM Guard Customs that survived the war.
- Vulcan Gun
- Two vulcan guns are mounted on the sides of the shield. They allow the GM Guard Custom to attack its enemies while hiding behind the shield.
During the One Year War, after the destruction of Solomon, a GM Guard Custom along with a RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom, a RGM-79KC GM Intercept Custom and several GM units pursued Dozle Zabi's Gwazine-class until they were intercepted by Zaku IIs and Rick Doms.
Notes & Trivia
- A basic description of the GM Guard Custom was first mentioned in 1983's GM Sniper Custom MSV profile. However, it was not till 2009 that its design appeared in the game, Mobile Suit Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield. Subsequently, more lineart and details about it was fleshed out with the release of MSV-R.