The RGM-79F Land Combat Type GM is a variation of the RGM-79 GM. It first appeared as a part of Kunio Okawara's Missing Mobile Suit Variations.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Similar to the Principality of Zeon's versatile MS-06 Zaku II, the Earth Federation made many mission specific variants of the mass-produced GM. Although its "cousin" the RGM-79［G］ GM Ground Type was being deployed in Southeast Asia, the Land Combat Type GM was also made for ground combat. However, this version was given thicker upper body armor to withstand damage from large trees and buildings. The armor could also better withstand fire from a Zaku machine gun.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits, it is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The Land Combat Type GM is equipped with one beam saber stored in its backpack.
- YHI YF-RC180 Railcannon
- A weapon that uses electromagnetic forces, rather than gunpowder, to fire solid projectiles at very high velocities. Manufactured by Yashima Heavy Industries. This equipment was developed in consideration of the problems that the early beam weapons had(decreased power due to attenuation in the atmosphere), and the basic structure is diverted from a battleship's main gun.
- BOWA BR-M-79F-1 Beam Spray Gun
- NF GMG-Type.37/100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation mobile suit ground forces, the Type 37 is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld machine gun. It fires a 100x450 millimeter round at a rate of 500 rounds per minute and is loaded with a 20-round box magazine. Features include a folding stock and swivel forward hand grip. Maximum effective range of 1.5 kilometers.
- A small shield mounted on either forearm, its pointed tips allows it to be used as a stabbing melee weapon.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-003 Shield
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
The Land Combat Type GM was mostly deployed in the heavily forested Eastern Europe region. It's development would later be the direct basis for the RGM-79F Desert GM (though the two units oddly share the same model number) and RGM-79FP GM Striker.
Notes and Trivia