Technology & Combat Characteristics
A locally modified, ground use version of the RGM-79 GM, the GM Land Combat Type is primarily deployed in the European front late in the One Year War. The most notable modification is the enhanced armor on its upper body. This came about as obstacles on the ground, such as trees and buildings, resulted in mobile suits' upper body having an abnormally high chance of being hit by enemy attacks during battles. The enhanced upper body armor could withstand attacks from a Zaku machine gun, increasing the pilot's survival rate.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, the pair of shell firing weapons have a high rate of fire but little power and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits, it is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The GM Land Combat Type is equipped with one beam saber stored in its backpack.
- YHI YF-RC180 Railcannon
- A weapon that uses electromagnetic forces, rather than gunpowder, to fire solid projectiles at very high velocities. Manufactured by Yashima Heavy Industries. This equipment was developed in consideration of the problems that the early beam weapons had (decreased power due to attenuation in the atmosphere), and the basic structure is diverted from a battleship's main gun.
- BOWA BR-M-79F-1 Beam Spray Gun
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
- A small shield mounted on either forearm, its pointed tips allows it to be used as a stabbing melee weapon.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-003 Shield
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
The GM Land Combat Type was mostly deployed in the Europe region. It later served as the basis for the RGM-79F Desert GM.
Notes and Trivia