Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Desert GM could be considered the Federation's response to Zeon's MS-06D Zaku Desert Type. As this GM was based off the frame of the RGM-79F Land Combat Type GM, they strangely carry the same model number. The Desert GM is equipped with coated joints and extra intake valves to better deal with the intense heat and dust of the desert. It also features reactive armor mounted on several parts. Similar to the Land Combat Type, the Desert GM is also armed with a beam saber, railcannon and an optional beam spray gun.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits, it is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The Desert GM is equipped with one beam saber stored in its backpack.
- NF GMG-Type.37/100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation mobile suit ground forces, the Type 37 is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, mobile suit handheld machine gun. It fires a 100x450 millimeter round at a rate of 500 rounds per minute and is loaded with a 20-round box magazine. Features include a folding stock and swivel forward hand grip. Maximum effective range of 1.5 kilometers.
- BOWA BR-M-79C-2D Beam Spray Gun
- YHI YF-RC155 Railcannon
- BLASH HB-L-03/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher it could fire several 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition.
It was mostly deployed in the Middle East and Northern Africa in the One Year War.
Notes and Trivia