Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Desert GM could be considered the Federation's response to Zeon's MS-06D Zaku Desert Type. As it was based off the frame of the RGM-79F Land Combat Type GM, they strangely carry the same model number. The Desert GM has covered joints and extra intake valves to better deal with the intense heat and dust of the desert. It also features reactive armor mounted on several parts. Similar to the Land Combat Type, the Desert GM is armed with a beam saber, railcannon and an optional beam spray gun.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits, it is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The Desert GM has one beam saber stored in its backpack.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
- BOWA BR-M-79C-2D Beam Spray Gun
- YHI YF-RC155 Railcannon
- BLASH HB-L-03/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher, it fires 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor can stop this weapon, but it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition.
It was mostly deployed in the Middle East and Northern Africa in the One Year War.
Notes and Trivia
- Some sources list the Desert GM's model number as RGM-79SP (same as the GM Sniper II) or simply RGM-79.