The RGM-79FP GM Striker is a ground close combat mobile suit and variation of the RGM-79C GM Type C. It was featured in the original design series Harmony of Gundam, the manga series Mobile Suit Gundam - Acguy: 2250 Miles Across North America, as well as the manga series Mobile Suit Gundam: We're Federation Hooligans!! and its sequel manga series Mobile Suit Gundam Katana.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
From the data collected by the RX-78-2 Gundam and the RX-79［G］ Gundam Ground Type, the Earth Federation Forces recognized the frequent occurrence of close combat during mobile suit battles, as well as the effectiveness of the Principality of Zeon's close combat-specialized mobile suit, the MS-07B Gouf. It was decided that the RGM-79C GM Type C, one of the general performance improvement variants of the RGM-79 GM still in development, would serve as the basis of a specialized close combat GM variant.
The GM Striker was equipped with a set of full body additional armor known as Wearable Armor, based on the reactive armor used by the RGM-79F Desert GM as well as existing research on Chobam Armor, designed to protect the mobile suit from the ballistic weapons used by Zeon mobile suits. It was also fitted with a high-thrust backpack and improved leg thrusters. Weapons wise, it is equipped with one to two Beam Sabers, two Vulcan Guns, a 100mm Machine Gun, as well as an experimental Twin Beam Spear, a weapons with twice the firepower and reach of the beam saber. Finally, it has a Spike Shield, which can serve as a striking weapon in addition to defense.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, the pair of shell firing weapons have high-rate of fire but little power, and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- Stored on the backpack, the GM Striker is compatible with both the 78-type beam saber and the 79-type beam saber. As an ace-use machine, the GM Striker can be equipped with up to two beam sabers.
- Twin Beam Spear
- A pole-arm weapon derived from the RX-78-2 Gundam's beam javelin, it is an extendable rod with a pair of movable beam sabers at its tip. When the two beam sabers are pointing straight ahead, the weapon is in 'Rod Mode' and 'Scythe Mode' is when the beam sabers are pointing sideways. The long reach of the weapon gives the GM Striker an advantage in melee combat.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
- Spike Shield
- A shield designed specifically for the GM Striker, this defensive armament can also be used as a striking weapon thanks to the two pile bunkers mounted at the tip.
- Grapple Shield
Special Equipment & Features
- Close Combat Visor
- Adds extra protection to the head-mounted sensors while not interfering with the use of the vulcan guns. It also contains additional sensors to support the suit's main cameras.
- Wearable Armor
- A set of add-on armor mounted all over the body of the GM Striker, it protects the suit as it charges towards the enemy and can be purged when not required. The wearable armor functions like reactive armor, it has internally-mounted explosive that would explode when hit to diffuse the impact of enemy's projectiles outwards. This armor is a further development of the RGM-79F Desert GM's reactive armor.
A small number of GM Striker units were deployed, mainly operated by ace pilots with high proficiency and combat experience. One unit piloted by Nemesis unit's Yuji Arcana featured performance improvements for data collection purposes. Taking advantage of his experience in boxing, Yuji defeated opponents with minimal damage in close-combat with his GM Striker.
- After the One Year War, a GM Striker variant capable of operating in zero-gravity was developed. Known as GM Striker Kai, its backpack and armaments can be interchanged with those of the RGM-79FC Striker Custom.
Notes and Trivia
- In Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (also known as 'Target In Sight'), the GM Striker's Twin Beam Spear keeps turning into a twin-bladed scythe similar to the one used by Gundam Deathscythe Hell from Gundam Wing. The GM Striker is also the GM variant with the highest total stats, having most of its points in power, speed, turning, and boost, but 1/8 in aim, which doesn't matter anyway, since the GM Striker only comes armed with the spear and its shield, while the 'aim' attribute determines how little recoil ranged weapons have.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield, the GM Striker's Twin Beam Spear can strike enemies up to 5 times with correctly-timed button-presses. However, the usage timing is tricky and it deals significantly less damage than the beam saber's standard three hits unless it is charged by holding the button. Moreover, the quick-draw technique (which switches to Weapon 1 or 2 after the beam saber's third hit, a skill unique to Melee units) cannot be used for the former.
- High Grade Universal Century 1/144 RGM-79FP GM Striker (2006) manual
|Harmony of Gundam Mechanics|
RAG-79 Aqua GM | RGM-79FP GM Striker | RX-78GP02A Gundam GP02A (Type-MLRS)
|Principality of Zeon/Delaz Fleet|
MS-05L Zaku I Sniper Type | MS-06V Zaku Tank Cannon Type | MS-09K-1 Dom Cannon | MS-09K-2 Dom Cannon | RX-78GP02A Gundam GP02A Beam Bazooka Type