Technology & Combat Characteristics
Based on the late production type of the RGM-79 GM, the GM Type C features improved generator output and incorporates several new technology, such as sensor and devices from the D type and the G type. Its various components were all designed to maximize reliability, ease of production, ease of maintenance, and ease of modification. It was intended to achieve the goals originally set by Operation V.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing armament built into the head. These rapid-fire but low offensive power weapons are used for destroying lightly-armored units, restricting enemy movements, intercepting missiles, intimidation, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when deployed and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade. One beam saber is stored on the left side of the backpack. Units used by commanders are equipped with two, one on each side of the backpack.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun was a system weapon developed as a Space/Ground dual use projectile weapon. Though compact, it has sufficient anti-MS firepower while maintaining accuracy. Its muzzle velocity is increased due to the use of new gunpowder and this enables it to easily penetrate the armor of Zeon's mobile suit. A box-like sensor system incorporating a video camera and laser sensor is installed at the top, and when this system is used alongside the GM's targeting system, target acquisition capability is enhanced.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm GM Rifle
- A portable, mobile suit-use 90mm rifle built based on the 'system weapon' structure, its effective range and accuracy is superior to the HWF GMG·MG79-90mm machine gun. With the extended barrel, the GM Rifle sees a 15% increase in muzzle velocity, leading to increased armor penetration capability. Additionally, a newly developed caseless cartridge allows for a lightened ammunition load.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- First utilized by Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War, its use became less common after the war as the Federation switched to 90mm caliber weaponry. Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
- BLASH HB-L-07/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- An improved model of the HB-L-03/N-STD Hyper Bazooka with added targeting sensors, increasing its accuracy. The magazine has also been changed to be completely sealed/air tight, and this not only makes exchanging magazine easier, but also protects against debris intrusion, accidental explosion due to being hit, etc. Additionally, no special attention needs to be paid to the weapon during operation as the rigidity of the rib section connecting the carrying handle to the bazooka's rear has been enhanced.
- YHI FH-X180 180mm Cannon
- A cannon developed by Yashima Heavy Industries as a long range weapon for use in 1G environment. It has an alternate model number:"NFHI·GMCa-type.09/". Its design is thought to have referenced the Zimmad Corporation’s ZIM/M-T-K175C Magella Top Cannon. It uses a six-rounds box magazine that is inserted into the top.
- BLASH XBR-X-79YK Long-Range Beam Rifle
- A beam weapon originally used by the RGM-79［G］ GM Sniper during the One Year War, it mounts a high-powered scope, allowing the pilot to hit distant targets with pinpoint accuracy. When equipped with this weapon, the GM Type C's head would be retrofitted with a movable goggle, similar to the one of the RGM-79SP GM Sniper II, that contains an additional sensor system; this goggle would cover the suit's head visor during sniping.
- BR-M-79C-3 Beam Spray Gun
- An enhanced version of the Federation’s successfully BR-M-79C-1, the C-3 has an output of 1.5 MW and was introduced late in the One Year War. This model was shorter than the C-1 and featured a new sensor system. This targeting system allows the weapon itself to acquire targets rather than relying exclusively on the GM’s head sensors like the C-1.
- BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. This is the same model as used by the GM II and Nemo, it has a power rating of 1.9 MW and is powered by a built-in energy CAP system.
- BOWA-XBR-M-79-07G Beam Rifle
- The same firearm as used by the RX-78-2 Gundam, it is the first portable mega particle weapon to be used by a mobile suit. Realized through the use of energy CAP technology, it can destroy the Zaku II with one shot and sink a warship with several shots. Features include a large, movable offset sensor that interfaces with a mobile suit’s Fire Control System (FCS) to achieve a high degree of accuracy, and a stabilizing foregrip for firing support.
- BOWA XBC-M-83D-2C Beam Carbine
- The beam carbine is one of the prototype beam weapons developed at the end of the One Year War. It combines the performance of both the beam rifle and the beam machine gun, with more power than the beam machine gun and a faster rate of fire than the beam rifle.
- HWF GR MLR79-90mm Long Rifle
- This weapon utilizes the system weapon construction of the HWF GMG·MG79 machine gun to create a dockable-type long barrel rifle. Though the long barrel would typically place this weapon in the sniper rifle category, when combined with the 120 round box magazine, the weapon can also be utilized as a squad support weapon.
- Gundam Hammer
- A flail-type morning star with a long chain and anchor-shaped grip attached to a spiked iron ball. The weapon could either be thrown or swung around the mobile suit itself to damage the enemy units.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-007 Shield
- An improved model of the RGM-M-Sh-003. It has the exact same size as its predecessor, but its material was changed to Titanium-Ceramic composite. Its mount latch was made movable, allowing the shield to be positioned up or down when carried by a Mobile Suit manipulator or mounted on the forearm, increasing its usability.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- Mounted on the forearm, this small, light shield is commonly used by the Gundam Ground Type and GM Ground Type. Constructed of Luna Titanium alloy, it is designed to primarily protect the cockpit and other critical areas, and as such has a different form than the RGM-M-Sh-003 model. Additionally, it can be used as a close range striking weapon in mobile suit combat. Furthermore, through lodging the spikes at the tip into the ground, the shield can serve as a free standing frontal defense. This also allows the mobile suit to use both hands to hold large caliber weaponry and maintain a stable firing position.
- An alternate shield used by the GM Kai deployed by AEUG, it is the same shield as used by the MSA-003 Nemo. It can switch between an expanded state and a collapsed state for ease of use, and like other shields, its surface has an anti-beam coating to defend against beam attacks. Other features of the shield include sharp edges at the top for ramming/striking attacks and latches on the back for mounting other weapons or equipment.
Special Equipment & Features
- Sensor Light
- Equipped on both shoulders. They consists of lights for working in the dark and external sensors that can also transfer collected data to companion MS.
The GM Type C entered mass production near the end of the One Year War. It was designed to be the reference template for the GM series, since the design and specification of GM variants produced during the war were heavily inconsistent. The earliest prototypes were tested around October U.C. 0079, before receiving the designation of RGM-79C in early December.
During the Battle of A Baoa Qu on December 31st, a large number of these units participated in the attack on A Baoa Qu's E Field. Following the end of the war, production of the GM Type C continued as part of the Federation Forces Reconstruction Plan, a plan to replace destroyed weapons and update obsolete ones at each Federation stronghold. In April, U.C. 0081, around ten units were assigned to Torrington Base, several of which were modified to become testbed units.
Despite a large production number, the GM Type C never entered combat as a true main force mobile suit. This was due to its lackluster performance during the Delaz Conflict in U.C. 0083, during which it failed to combat the outdated mobile suits employed by the Delaz Fleet. It should be noted, however, that most of these units were caught off guard by Delaz Fleet's surprise attacks. During the attack on Torrington Base, for example, many units were destroyed before having a chance to fight back.
Regardless, it served as the reference for Federation mobile suits in the 80s onward, and made great contribution to the establishment of development know-how. Various GM Type C-based testbed units and data collection units, such as the RGM-79 Powered GM, became the foundation for future Federation mobile suits.
Several GM Type Cs also appeared in the seventh and eighth chapters of the Anaheim Laboratory Log series. These machines were owned by Anaheim Electronics for non-combat use and were painted in AEUG colors. Some were also modified to be commander units and they have legs with spare propellant tanks and thrusters attached, similar to those of the RGC-83 GM Cannon II's. Anaheim used its GM Type Cs in support roles during operational tests of the Proto Mega Rider.
Notes and Trivia
- The GM Type C's design basis was the GM Later Type from Gundam Sentinel 0079, a variant of the original RGM-79 GM designed by Katoki Hajime. The GM Later Type design also featured a redesigned beam spray gun, which was included in the Master Grade GM Type C Earth Type and Space Type model kits.
|Blazing Shadow Mechanics|
|Principality of Zeon|
EMS-10F Zudah F | MS-06F Zaku II | MS-09B Dom | MS-09F/Br Dom Barrage | MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type ［Falaq］ | YMS-23C Ghoul
Genbu | MA-04X-3 Umgarna
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
RGM-79C GM Type C | RGM-79C［G］ GM Type-C［G］ | RGM-79CA GM Raid | RGM-79CA GM Raid Light | RGM-79FP-S1 GM Striker EX (Metal Spider) | RGM-79SP GM Sniper II
MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type ［Gald Kureiz use］ | RGM-79GB High Boost GM | RGM-79N GM Custom (Silver Haze) | RGM-79N GM Custom 〈Silver Haze Kai〉 | RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
|Maria Shield Corporation|
RGM-79R GM II 〈Maria Shield co.〉
|Anaheim Laboratory Log Mechanics|
MSA-005X-1 Methuss X-1 | MSA-005X-2 Methuss X-2 | MSA-005X-3 Methuss X-3 | MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III | RGM-79C GM Type C | RGM-79N GM Custom | RMS-179 GM II
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
FXA-08R-X1 Proto Mega Rider
RGM-79SP GM Sniper II | RX-80PR-4 Pale Rider DII
MS-09RSS Dowas Custom | MS-14J ReGelgu | MS-17 Galbaldy α | MS-17R Galbaldy α High Mobility Type | MS-21D1 Dra-C Custom