Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-79C[G] GM Ground Type-C is a ground combat variant of the GM Type-C produced by the Earth Federation Forces. It was upgraded with dustproof treatment that focused on the joints, modification to the soles and the equipping of a larger backpack. Some of these changes can also be seen in other GM type mobile suits that were upgraded for ground combat, making it evident that compatibility was maintained. The units on the assault carrier Spartan are equipped with assault rifles for mid-range interception, while the units deployed on the landing craft over the sea were equipped with long range beam rifles and missile launchers for long-range attacks. The manga version has a different color scheme from the OVA version.
- Beam Saber
- A close combat weapon that emits a blade-shaped beam from the hilt when drawn. The GM Ground Type-C's beam saber is stored horizontally on the bottom of the normal backpack which is concealed by the large backpack.
- Assault Rifle
- A bullpup style firearm, it is equipped with a grenade launcher underneath its barrel. It is the same weapon as used by the RX-78AL Atlas Gundam.
- Long-Range Beam Rifle
- A large beam rifle with a longer effective range than normal beam rifles.
- Missile Launcher
- A handheld multi-tube missile launcher can be used for long-range attacks.
- A shield is essentially a thick slab of armor carried by a mobile suit to defend against enemy attacks, and it can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. It also has an anti-beam coating to defend against beam weapons, but the coating gets gradually burned away after each beam strike until it is rendered useless.
In August UC 0080, the assault carrier Spartan comes under attack on Earth from mobile suits belonging to the breakaway South Seas Alliance. Due to the extensive repairs needed on the RX-78AL Atlas Gundam, Io Fleming uses a GM Ground Type-C to assist in the Spartan’s defense.
In the manga, two units are later seen in the Spartan's full-scale assault of Taal volcano to stop the Psycho Zaku launch.
- In the manga, the GM Ground Type C is called the "Mod GM" in book 12. It is unknown what caused the name change.