Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-79/GH Gundam Head is a variant of the standard mass production RGM-79 GM of the Federation Forces. The primary difference is in the form of its namesake: a Gundam-type head, which is meant to replicate the psychological impact that the famous Gundam had on the Zeon forces. The Gundam Head’s joints have been sealed for protection from space debris. The new head unit has additional sensors compared to a regular GM, and its large backpack features two sub-arms that can hold two shields.
- Beam Saber
- A close combat weapon that emits a blade-shaped beam from the hilt when drawn. The Gundam Head has a beam saber stored horizontally on the bottom of the normal backpack which is concealed by the large backpack, and is usable only after the large backpack is ejected.
- Beam Spray Gun
- The same type of weapon used by the RGM-79 GM (Thunderbolt Ver.). It was only seen in the manga version.
- Twin Beam Rifle
- Mounted on the right forearm, this double-barrel beam rifle served as the Gundam Head's primary range weapon. It is a light, mass production version of the one used by FA-78 Full Armor Gundam (Thunderbolt Ver.) and has higher firepower than a beam spray gun.
- A defensive armament, the Gundam Head can be equipped with two of them, one carried by each of the large backpack-mounted sub-arms.
- Assault Rifle
- A bullpup style firearm, it is equipped with a grenade launcher underneath its barrel.
Special Equipment & Features
- A pair of simple manipulators mounted on the Gundam Head's large backpack. They are articulated and can be used for various purposes, such as exchanging energy packs, holding shields, etc.
- Core Block System
- A central block located in the torso, it houses the mobile suit's cockpit, control systems and main power source. The core block can be ejected in case of emergency and transforms into an emergency pod.
Multiple Gundam Heads were deployed during Federation's final assault at Zeon's space fortress A Baoa Qu. Launched from a Columbus-class carrier, they engaged and defeated the defending mobile suits, and proceeded to take out the Royal Guard Zakus in the transportation tunnels in a shield-wall tactic, clearing a path for the RX-75 Guntank (Thunderbolt Ver.) to deploy troops to capture the palace and the Flanagan Institute.