Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GM Sniper has improved sensor accuracy and an added operating system for using the long-range beam rifle. The mobile suit's cooling equipment and power transmission system are also tuned with usage of the long-range beam rifle in mind. Besides these changes and the different color scheme, the GM Sniper's basic performance is the same as that of the GM Ground Type.
- BLASH XBR-X-79YK Long-Range Beam Rifle
- A long range weapon equipped with a beam emitter designed for sniping and a large scope, it is also known as the "Sniper Beam Rifle". The rifle can be powered via one of two ways; either the GM Sniper charges the rifle's Energy CAP for more then two minutes and it can only fire two shots per charge, or the Energy CAP system is bypassed and the rifle draws power directly from an external generator, allowing it to rival a battleship's main gun in terms of firepower and range.
- For the second method, since the control signal and idling energy need to go through the mobile suit itself, forced cooling is required for both the mobile suit and the rifle. Therefore, the long-range beam rifle needs to be connected to a generator and a cooling system via cables and pipes when used. A backpack was also developed for the use of the long-range beam rifle, which functions both as a power source and a cooling system. While the backpack's total energy and cooling efficiency are inferior to the external generator, it allows the GM Sniper to leave friendly positions and set up ambushes.
- X.B.Sa-G-03 Beam Saber
- The GM Sniper has two beam sabers, one stored in the side of each leg. The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- Mounted on the forearm, this small, light shield is commonly used by the Gundam Ground Type and GM Ground Type. Constructed of Luna Titanium alloy, it is designed to primarily protect the cockpit and other critical areas. Additionally, it can be used as a close range striking weapon in mobile suit combat. Furthermore, through lodging the spikes at the tip into the ground, the shield can serve as a free standing frontal defense. This also allows the mobile suit to use both hands to hold large caliber weaponry and maintain a stable firing position.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs. Every Gundam Ground Type and GM Ground Type carry two spare magazines on their side skirt armor.
At least four RGM-79［G］ GM Ground Types of the Kojima Battalion were outfitted as GM Snipers and were instrumental in the destruction of the Principality of Zeon's experimental mobile armor Apsalus III and Shiro Amada's RX-79［G］Ez-8 Gundam Ez8 during the One Year War.
- Master Grade GM Sniper (2006) instruction manual
- Master Archive Mobile Suit RGM-79 GM Volume One