Technology & Combat Characteristics
An early prototype of the Earth Federation Forces' mobile suit mass production project, the GM Ground Type was developed before the RX-78-2 Gundam's operational data was recovered. Even though it was only able to operate on Earth, its internal parts were all tuned for ground combat, and it was equipped with Luna Titanium armor, causing its mobility, maneuverability, and general performance to surpass the later RGM-79 GM. It is said that its performance under gravity even rivals that of the RX-78.
The GM Ground Type was a simplified version of the RX-79［G］ Gundam Ground Type, and produced using the same production line. Compared to the Gundam Ground Type, the GM Ground Type omitted the chest-mounted Vulcan gun and multi-launcher, the weapon container mount on the backpack, and was equipped with a less powerful generator. It also did not incorporate parts from the RX-78 series, though its head unit was similar in specs to that of the RX-78's. Since it was produced after the production format was established, its ease of production, ease of maintenance and availability of parts were all greater than its predecessor.
Due to its use of Luna Titanium alloy, it was unsuited for mass production and produced in limited numbers. However, the GM Ground Type was important in establishing the EFF's mobile suit production framework. The operational data it collected contributed to the development of later mobile suits. Finally, the basic structure of its head was later inherited by the RGM-79 GM, becoming the iconic face of Federation mass production mobile suits.
- X.B.Sa-G-03 Beam Saber
- The GM Ground Type has two beam sabers, one stored in the outer side of each leg. The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs. The GM Ground Type can carry two spare magazines on its side skirt armor.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun was a system weapon developed as a Space/Ground dual use projectile weapon. Though compact, it has sufficient anti-MS firepower while maintaining accuracy. Its muzzle velocity is increased due to the use of new gunpowder and this enables it to easily penetrate the armor of Zeon's mobile suit. A box-like sensor system incorporating a video camera and laser sensor is installed at the top, and when this system is used alongside the GM's targeting system, target acquisition capability is enhanced.
- YHI FH-X180 180mm Cannon
- A transportable cannon developed by Yashima Heavy Industries as a long-range weapon for use in 1G environment. It has an alternate model number: "NFHI·GMCa-type.09/". Its design is thought to have referenced the Zimmad Corporation’s ZIM/M-T-K175C Magella Top Cannon. It uses a six-rounds box magazine that is inserted into the top. The most notable feature of this weapon is that it can be broken down into compact components for transport in containers carried by the mobile suit.
- BLASH XBR-M-79E Beam Rifle
- The same beam rifle as used by the Gundam Ground Type, it is a redesign of the RX-78-2 Gundam's XBR-M-79-07G beam rifle. Instead of the 79-07G’s large movable sensor, this rifle is fitted with the BP-SS-001 composite box-type sensor system utilized on the BR-M-79C-3 Beam Spray Gun and licensed from BOWA Corporation, granting the weapon improved targeting precision.
- YHI 6ML-79MM Missile Launcher
- A launcher system consisting of multiple missile containers fitted on a base unit. Two to four missiles can be stored within each container depending on the type of warhead selected to meet the needs of the operation.
- YHI ERRL-TYPE.Doc-04/380mm Rocket Launcher
- A portable large rocket launcher meant for MS, it is independently developed by Yashima Heavy Industries for use specifically in 1G environment. Also known as Hyper Bazooka (Ground Type), it has a very versatile design with features that include targeting sensors, etc. It uses a banana-shaped magazine and has a short barrel to facilitate its use in jungle/forested areas. This weapon can utilize a number of different munitions including warheads that deploy stabilizing fins after launch, and this shows that its design took many references from human-sized ground weaponry used in older eras.
- YHI YF-RC180 Railcannon
- A weapon that uses electromagnetic forces, rather than gunpowder, to fire solid projectiles at very high velocities. Manufactured by Yashima Heavy Industries. This equipment was developed in consideration of the problems that the early beam weapons had(decreased power due to attenuation in the atmosphere), and the basic structure is diverted from a battleship's main gun.
- ZIM/M.T-K175C 175mm Recoilless Rifle
- The same handheld firearm used by the MS-06 Zaku II. It was mainly used for long distance ground combat and can be loaded with high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) or armor-piercing fin-stabilized discarding-sabot (APFSDS) rounds. Used by Marvin Herriot's unit during an assassination mission.
- Twin Beam Spear
- The same pole-arm weapon as used by the RGM-79FP GM Striker, it consists of a telescopic handle with two movable beam sabers attached at the top. When the two beam sabers are pointing straight ahead, the weapon is in 'Rod Mode' and has a long reach. When the two beam sabers are pointing sideways, the weapon is in 'Scythe Mode' for slicing apart enemies.
- Net Gun
- A special handheld weapon that fires a spider web-like net to capture enemy units.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- Mounted on the forearm, this small, light shield is commonly used by the Gundam Ground Type and GM Ground Type. Constructed of Luna Titanium alloy, it is designed to primarily protect the cockpit and other critical areas, and as such has a different form than the RGM-M-Sh-003 model. Additionally, it can be used as a close-range striking weapon in mobile suit combat. Furthermore, through lodging the spikes at the tip into the ground, the shield can serve as a free-standing frontal defense. This also allows the mobile suit to use both hands to hold large caliber weaponry and maintain a stable firing position.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-003 Shield
- The same shield as used by the RGM-79 GM, it is composed of a triple honeycomb structure made of Luna Titanium and the surface also has anti-beam coating for defending against beam attacks.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-007 Shield
- An improved model of the RGM-M-Sh-003. It has the exact same size as its predecessor, but its material was changed to Titanium-Ceramic composite. Its mount latch was made movable, allowing the shield to be positioned up or down when carried by a Mobile Suit manipulator or mounted on the forearm, increasing its usability.
Special Equipment & Features
- Container Rack
- After swapping its backpack for the Gundam Ground Type's, the GM Ground Type has a container rack on its back. This rack allows the GM Ground Type to carry a variety of equipment, such as weapon container, parachute pack, etc. In addition, the rack is equipped with a foldable searchlight and certain sections can unfold into a forklift-like mechanism for attaching the weapon container.
- Parachute Pack
- An optional backpack equipment created by the Federation for use by their Mobile Suits for paradrop missions from the Medea Transport Plane. The backpack contains three parachutes and four thrusters to help in making a safe descent to the ground, once touchdown had been accomplished the backpack would be ejected as to not hinder the Mobile Suits performance in ground combat.
- Weapon Container
- Container for storing spare or additional armament that can be attached to the container rack. The container allows the GM Ground Type to carry a variety of armaments and ammunition for both itself and the other members of its squad.
In order to prevent the expansion of Zeon's power, the GM Ground Type was quickly deployed in strategically important Southeast Asia. It was also deployed on a priority basis to special forces for the purpose of collecting data on actual battles with MS. Toward the end of the war, it was also deployed in Operation Odessa, which became the stage for a large-scale battle on the ground.
Illustration & Artwork
Notes & Trivia
- The beam rifle used by Gundam Ground Type and GM Ground Type have three different model numbers from three different sources: "P.B.R-0079/A12 S-000011" from the MG Gundam Ground Type manual, "P.B.R-0079/A12 S-0000204" from the MG Gundam Ez8 manual, and "BLASH XBR-M-79E" from Master Archive Mobile Suit - RGM-79 GM Volume One. The last model number also appeared in Gundam Mobile Suit Bible 15, while Master Archive Mobile Suit - RGM-79 GM Volume Two listed an alternate model number of "BLASH XBR-M-79E (P.B.R-0079/A12 S-0000204)".
|MS IGLOO 2 Mechanics|
RGM-79［G］ GM Ground Type | RTX-440 Ground Assault Type Guntank
6×6 Cargo Truck | M353A4 Bloodhound | M72 Lakota | Type 61 Tank
Big Tray-class | Heavy Fork-class
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Dragonfly | FF-X7 Core Fighter
|Principality of Zeon|
MS-05B Zaku I | MS-06J Zaku II Ground Type | MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom | MS-09B Dom
B.M.C. Z78/2 | HT-01B Magella Attack | Magella Eins | PVN.3/2 Sauropelta | PVN.44/1 Weasel | Russel 1/12 Zebu
DFA-03 Dopp | PVN.4/3 Wappa
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
H.L.V. | Komusai | Papua-class
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
ACA-01 Gaw | Musai-class