Technology & Combat Characteristics
In the U.C.100s, as the scale of conflicts reduced and anti-Federation movements subsided, the Earth Federation Forces decided to adopt miniature mobile suits to save on military expenses. The first miniature mobile suit to be mass produced was the RGM-109 Heavygun developed by the Anaheim Electronics, and it also served as a proof of concept. The Heavygun utilized the same type of reactor as the Jegan, but its smaller size grants it higher mobility and maneuverability. However, the Heavygun's performance did not meet the expectation of the SNRI, which had proposed the development of miniature mobile suit, leading to the latter creating the F90 Gundam F90 and the F71 G-Cannon. The Heaygun standard armaments are similar to those of the Jegan, including head-mounted vulcan guns, grenade racks, a beam rifle, a beam saber, and a shield.
- Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing armament built into the head. They have low firepower, but are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles or attack vehicles due to their high rate of fire.
- Quadruple Grenade Rack
- The Heavygun is equipped with a pair of waist-mounted grenade racks each carrying 4 hand grenades. The explosive power of the grenades are reduced to avoid damaging the colony's outer walls, thus they are less effective during anti-MS combat.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade. The Heavygun usually stores a beam saber in its body for melee combat, but can be equipped with another if required. When the hand holding the beam saber is rotated 360 degrees rapidly, a makeshift beam buzz saw can be created.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard hand carried ranged beam weapon of the Heavygun is a beam rifle powered by a rechargeable energy cap. It features a full barrel structure for barrel protection and to maintain accuracy. As the weapon is developed during a time where anti-MS combat is not the main focus and usage of beam rifles are actively avoided to protect the space colonies, it is installed with a sub-sensor as well as a limiter to avoid excessive power. When not in use, the Heavygun's beam rifle is stored on the rear waist armor.
- A piece of equipment that increases the Heavygun's defensive capability, it is typically mounted on the left forearm.
Special Equipment & Features
- A pop-up searchlight mounted on the head. It is equipped in consideration of combat within space colonies, and is prepared for the loss of the light source either due to mirror damage or a power outage.
First introduced in UC 109, the Heavygun was the first successful mass-produced miniature mobile suit created by Anaheim Electronics and sold to the Earth Federation Forces. It replaced the aging RGM-89J Jegan Normal Type and quickly proved to be a popular model among the pilots. Though the first decade of its deployment was relatively peaceful, the following years saw periods of intense conflict between the Earth Federation and several space-based factions including Mars Zeon, the Crossbone Vanguard, and the Jupiter Empire. Eventually, the Heavygun was phased out in favor of the newer RGM-119 Jamesgun and RGM-122 Javelin. However, some modified Heavyguns continued to serve as a part of civilian defense militias into the early UC 0150s, these units were deployed by the Macedonia and Neo-Texas colonies, after requisitioning them from the Earth Federation.
Notes & Trivia
- Heavygun's profile on Archived Gundam Official Website
- 1/100 Original RGM-109 Heavygun model kit manual
|Mobile Suit Gundam F91 Mechanics|
|Earth Federation Forces/Civilian Militia|
F71 G-Cannon | F91 Gundam F91 | F-50D Guntank R-44 | RGM-89J Jegan Normal Type | RGM-89M Jegan B-Type | RGM-89R Jegan A-Type | RGM-109 Heavygun | XM-06 Dahgi Iris | XM-07 Vigna Ghina
Armored Buggy | Armored Car | Missile Armored Car | Motorcycle | Wired Missile Car
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Ark-class | Clop-class | Ra Cailum-class | Salamis Kai-class
XM-01 Den'an Zon | XM-02 Den'an Gei | XM-03 Ebirhu-S | XM-04 Berga Dalas | XM-05 Berga Giros | XM-06 Dahgi Iris | XM-07 Vigna Ghina
Armored Buggy | Armored Car | Paint Vehicle
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Zamouth Garr-class | Zamouth Giri-class | Zamouth Jeth-class | Zamouth Nada-class
|Jupiter Energy Fleet|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Crossbone Gundam: Steel 7 Mechanics|
Angel Diona | Arana Abijo | Bala Totuga | XM-07B Vigna Ghina II Jupiter Battle Specification | XM-10 Flint | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Full Cloth | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 "Patchwork" | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai Kai "Skull Heart" | XM-X3 Crossbone Gundam X-3
Nozzle | Speed King
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Amakusa | Cornix | Dictus | EMS-08 Diona | EMS-12 Arana | EMS-VSX1 Mass Production Quavarze | EMS-VSX1 Quavarze | EMS-VSX2 Abijo | EMS-VSX3 Totuga | Impulse Cornix
Elcopty | EMA-10 Divinidad
|Earth Federation Forces/SNRI|
F90I-I Gundam F90 Intercept Type Jupiter Battle Specification | F91 Gundam F91 | F99 Record Breaker | RGM-109 Heavygun | RGM-119 Jamesgun | RGM-122 Javelin | XM-10 Flint