Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGC-83 GM Cannon II is more heavily-armed than its predecessor. It is equipped with two shoulder-mounted beam cannons, unlike the RX-77-2 Guncannon (which is equipped with cannons that fire solid shells), and can carry a 90mm machine gun as well as a beam saber for close combat. It also includes two 60mm vulcan guns mounted in the head, but these are usually last-resort weapons. To power the GM Cannon II's beam cannons, the suit is equipped with a reactor that has a much higher output. It is also very heavily armored, featuring Chobham armor based on the same design as the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex", although the armor was built directly into its body rather than being mounted on a smaller frame. However, it pays the price for this durability with low speed and mobility.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power, and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, However, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors, and are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close combat weapon for Earth Federation mobile suits is the beam saber, it is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-field and is capable of cutting through any metal alloy not treated with an anti-beam coating. The GM Cannon II is equipped with a beam saber stored on its left forearm.
- Beam Cannon
- The primary weapons of the GM Cannon II are a pair of mega-particle beam cannons mounted on the backpack. Mega-particles are fed to the beam cannons by the two large drum-like E-Caps mounted below them on the backpack.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm GM Rifle
- The GM Rifle is a simple shell-firing machine gun that is based on older technologies, it has no where near the power of a beam rifle, but can be cheaply produced and easily maintained. It features different barrel, sensor unit, stock and magazine configurations that allows for different ballistic and handling properties. The ammunition is stored in spare clips that can be replaced when they are used up.
- BOWA BR-S-85-L3 Sniper Beam Rifle
- A long-range beam weapon originally used by the RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom, it allows the pilot to hit distant targets with high accuracy.
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Shields are also treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
The RGC-83 GM Cannon II is a support type mobile suit designed to provide covering fire for its teammates. While it is the second version of the RGC-80 GM Cannon, it more closely resembles the Guncannon made famous by fighting alongside the original RX-78-2 Gundam. Although it isn't known how many GM Cannon IIs were produced, it is known that two units were stationed on the Albion and used during Operation Stardust in UC 0083. The GM Cannon II was later deployed by the AEUG during the Gryps Conflict. Their units were painted forest green on gray with an orange visor.
Notes and Trivia