Technology & Combat Characteristics
A support type mobile suit designed to provide covering fire for its teammates, the RGC-83 GM Cannon II is more heavily-armed than its predecessor, the RGC-80 GM Cannon. It is equipped with two back-mounted beam cannons, two head-mounted 60mm vulcan guns, a beam saber stored on the left forearm, a 90mm machine gun and a shield. To power the beam cannons, the GM Cannon II has a reactor with higher output. It is also heavily armored, featuring a modified version of the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex"'s Chobam armor that is built directly into its body rather than being an optional add-on. However, the GM Cannon II pays the price for its powerful weaponry and enhanced durability with low speed and mobility.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of mobile suits descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head-mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high rate of fire but little power, and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit. However, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors, and are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close combat weapon for Earth Federation mobile suits, it is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-field and can through any armor not treated with an anti-beam coating. The GM Cannon II has a beam saber with a short-type grip stored on its left forearm.
- Beam Cannon
- The primary weapons of the GM Cannon II are a pair of beam cannons mounted on the backpack. The beam cannons are typically directly powered by the GM Cannon II's generator, but they also have a spare energy CAP system circuit.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm GM Rifle
- The GM Rifle is a simple shell-firing machine gun, it has no where near the power of a beam rifle, but can be cheaply produced and easily maintained. It features different barrel, sensor unit, stock and magazine configurations that allows for different ballistic and handling properties. The ammunition is stored in spare clips that can be replaced when they are used up.
- BOWA BR-S-85-L3 Sniper Beam Rifle
- A long-range beam weapon originally used by the RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom, it shares some parts with RMS-179 GM II's BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle and is powered by a rechargeable e-cap. The rifle's long barrel has a newly developed beam accelerator, enhancing the beam convergence rate by 40%.
- RGM·M-Sh-ABT/S-00057 Shield
- For defense, the GM Cannon II uses the same shield as the RGM-79N GM Custom, which is an updated model of the one used by RGM-79G GM Command.
Although it isn't known how many GM Cannon IIs were produced, it is known that two units were stationed on the Albion and used during Operation Stardust in UC 0083. The GM Cannon II was later deployed by the AEUG during the Gryps Conflict in UC 0087. Their units were painted forest green on gray with an orange visor.
Notes and Trivia