Technology & Combat Characteristics
After the end of the One Year War, the GM Cannon II was developed as the culmination of mid-range support-use MS based on the data from the RGC-80 GM Cannon and RX-77D Guncannon Mass Production Type. Most of its production lines are shared with the RGM-79N GM Custom, and the generator and basic frame have almost the same structure. With its high output generator, which is made possible by improved technology and ease of production, the GM Cannon II is equipped with beam cannons instead of physical ammunition-based cannons. For precision shooting under gravity, the stabilized gear on the waist can be deployed to stabilize the machine. Although a support-use unit, the GM Cannon II is equipped with a beam saber to defend itself in close combat.
Certain sections of the GM Cannon II's exterior are fitted with composite armor derived from the Chobam Armor employed by the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex". This composite armor improves bullet resistance while keeping the mobile suit's weight down, and for convenience, it is often referred to as "Chobam Armor" like the Alex's. However, the GM Cannon II's Chobam Armor is not an add-on like the Alex's, and it cannot be purged even when damaged. Like the GM Custom, there was a plan to mass produce the GM Cannon II, but due to issues such as cost and the fact that the machine was meant to operate alongside the GM Custom, only a few units were actually deployed. After the Delaz Conflict, the project itself, including its development staff, was placed under the control of the Titans, and an direct successor to the machine was never developed.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing armament built into the head. Low offensive power, only used to restrict enemy movement, and lay down a wall of suppressive fire due to their rapid fire capability.
- Beam Saber
- A beam weapon for close combat. It is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through any armor not treated with anti-beam coating. A single unit is stored in the left forearm, and because it is a reserve armament for the GM Cannon II, its grip is of the short type.
- Beam Cannon
- The primary weapons of the GM Cannon II are a pair of beam cannons mounted on the backpack. The GM Cannon II is also the first mass produced mobile suit to be equipped with high-output beam cannons as a standard armament. These beam cannons are typically directly powered by the GM Cannon II's generator, but they also have a spare energy CAP system circuit.
- HFW-GR·MR82-90mm GM Rifle
- A portable, mobile suit-use 90mm rifle built based on the 'system weapon' structure, its effective range and accuracy is superior to the HWF GMG·MG79-90mm machine gun. With the extended barrel, the GM Rifle sees a 15% increase in muzzle velocity, leading to increased armor penetration capability. Additionally, a newly developed caseless cartridge allows for a lightened ammunition load.
- BOWA BR-S-85-L3 Sniper Beam Rifle
- A long-range beam weapon originally used by the RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom, it shares some parts with RMS-179 GM II's BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle and is powered by a built-in energy CAP system. The rifle's long barrel has a newly developed beam accelerator, enhancing the beam convergence rate by 40%.
- RGM·M-Sh-ABT/S-00057 Shield
- For defense, the GM Cannon II uses the same shield as the RGM-79N GM Custom, which is an updated model of the one used by RGM-79G GM Command.
In U.C. 0083, two units were stationed on the Albion, a Pegasus-class assault ship, during the Delaz Conflict. The GM Cannon II was later deployed by the Titans and used in operations against Zeon Remnants. In U.C. 0087, several surviving machines were deployed by the AEUG against the Titans and Axis Zeon forces during the Gryps War. These units were outfitted with panoramic cockpit monitor, linear seat, and featured a new color scheme.
Illustrations & Artwork
Notes & Trivia
- In the first opening of 0083, the GM Cannon II's beam cannons are shown firing yellow beams. However, they are depicted as pink in the series.