Technology & Combat Characteristics
With the failure of the RGC-80-1 GM Cannon Test Type, the Earth Federation designers took the gathered data and developed the RGC-80 GM Cannon, correcting the problems encountered in the predecessor model. Put into production in late UC 0079, the topweight balance and recoil problems suffered by the Test Type were addressed by mounting only one 240mm cannon and adding heavier armor to the hip skirt as well as the legs. The GM Cannon still possesses 60% parts commonality with the RGM-79 GM and could carry the same hand weapons and shields as its general-purpose sibling.
- 240mm Cannon
- Mounted over the right shoulder, this artillery cannon is for mid-range fire support. The cannon is clip-fed, with a spare clip mounted on the rear waist armor.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series. These head mounted shell firing weapons have high-rate of fire, but little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits; however, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. These weapons are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles or small vehicles.
- BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun
- The Beam Spray Gun was essentially the Gundam's beam rifle in a smaller weaker form. The beam spray gun has a smaller focusing coil which results in a less powerful, and a more scattered shot. As a result of this the beam spray gun is less effective at long range, but is better at close range due to a more spread out shot, similar to a shotgun effect. While the beam spray gun is less powerful than the beam rifle, it has been shown to be able to penetrate the armor of a Rick Dom - one of the most heavily armored mobile suits of the One Year War.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The same weapon as used by the RGM-79G GM Command, it is an open-bolt, gas-operated, magazine-fed, handheld bullpup machine gun. Its 90mm ammunitions are compatible with the machine guns used by the military vehicles at the time.
- BLASH HB-L-03/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher, it fires 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon, but it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition.
- Balzac type 380mm Rocket Bazooka
- An optional MS-use Bazooka developed for the GM Series, besides having enhanced accuracy due to the sensor mounted on top of the weapon, it is also lightweight, easy to use and has high shooting performance.
- BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of the many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The beam rifle has a power rating of 1.9 MW and is powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-003 Shield
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Since the introduction of beam weaponry, shields have been treated with an anti-beam coating allowing it to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. Some pilots such as Lydo Wolf, would equip two shields, one for each arm.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- The GM Cannon is also capable of mounting on either of its forearms a smaller RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield. It is capable of deflecting most incoming ballistic projectiles and some explosive warheads. Mount latch and joint/pivot mount position retracted for protection or extended for slashing or punching attacks. Can be thrust into the ground and used as an elevated weapon firing position.
Initially only six RGC-80 GM Cannons were produced and fielded as part of the Earth Federation Forces's campaign to retake the North American continent. By the time the Earth Federation Forces had recaptured California Base from the Principality of Zeon forces on North America's Pacific Coast, the GM Cannons had proven themselves on the field and was approved for mass-production. Additional GM Cannons were constructed and distributed to various Earth Federation Forces battalions around the Earth to assist in driving the Zeon forces back to space.
By the end of the war, 58 GM Cannons were produced in total. 14 units were assigned to the Revil and Tianem fleets, 6 units were assigned to the North American front, 19 units were assigned to Africa, one of which was given to ace pilot Lydo Wolf and painted in his trademark black custom colors, and 9 units were assigned to Jaburo's defense force. In addition, at least three units were assigned to the Australian front and used by the White Dingo Team. The GM Cannon continued to see active service even after the war and into the Gryps Conflict in UC 0087.
Notes and Trivia