Technology & Combat Characteristics
To make the RGC-80 GM Cannon more suitable for space combat, the Earth Federation developed the RGC-80S GM Cannon Space Assault Type. The GM Cannon Space Assault Type omitted the increased armor on the legs which was necessary for weight when the shoulder rocket cannon was fired on the ground, and it also has the same vernier thrusters as the RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom on its backpack and legs, resulting in improved attitude control capabilities and mobility in space.
- 360mm Rocket Cannon
- Mounted over the right shoulder, this artillery cannon is for mid-range fire support. Two spare magazines can be mounted on the rear waist armor.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing armament built into the head. Low offensive power, only used to restrict enemy movement, and lay down a wall of suppressive fire due to their rapid fire capability.
- BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun
- A handheld mega-particle gun with a lower focusing rate than a beam rifle and short range. The beam spray gun features three different firing modes: a basic single shot mode, a burst shot mode for area suppression, and a range shot mode that scatters the beam to cause damage over a wide area. Output 1.4 MW.
- Balzac type 380mm Rocket Bazooka
- An optional MS-use Bazooka developed for the GM Series, besides having enhanced accuracy due to the sensor mounted on top of the weapon, it is also lightweight, easy to use and has high shooting performance.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-003 Shield
- A basic defensive armament used by the Federation's GM type MS. It is composed of a triple honeycomb structure made of Luna Titanium. With the appearance of beam weaponry equipped Zeon mobile suits late in the One Year War, later models of this shield are treated with the recently developed beam coating. The shield can also serve as a weapon container as its back has specialized weapon latches for mounting various weaponry, allowing spare beam sabers and beam spray guns to be carried.
Among the 14 GM Cannon units assigned to space, either 5 or 6 units were modified into the Space Assault Type and attached to the Revil fleet, assigned to ace pilots. These units participated in battle during Operation Star One.
The 142nd MS Team - the mobile suit team of the Salamis-class cruiser Eiger, a ship responsible for protecting General Revil's flagship - made use of the RGM-80S. Notably, the 142nd used a non-standard blue paintjob for its mobile suits.
- It is unclear what "Balzac-type" means.