The Petrie-class is a land battleship introduced in the anime Mobile Suit Gundam SEED.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
One of the land battleships deployed by the ZAFT on Earth, the Petrie-class is equipped with scale motors for travelling through the desert sands like the larger Lesseps-class. Besides being smaller in size, the Petrie-class also has fewer weapons than the Lesseps-class, and is recognized as a destroyer-class ship by the Earth Alliance. The Petrie-class also serves as a mobile suit carrier, with the ship carrying several TMF/A-802 BuCUEs, TFA-2 ZuOOT, (later replaced with TFA-4DE GAZuOOTs) and TMF/S-3 GINN OCHER Types.
- A single-barreled cannon is mounted on the front and rear of the ship.
- Twin Cannon
- A pair of twin-barreled cannons are located on each side of the ship.
- Desert Torpedo Launcher
- A pair of launchers for firing desert-use torpedoes are located on each side of the ship's bow.
- Missile Launcher
- A number of missile launchers are mounted on various parts of the ship.
Special Equipment & Features
- Scale Motor
- Like the Lesseps-class, the Petrie-class uses Scale motors to liquefy sand and sail across the desert.
Besides fielding the large Lesseps-class, ZAFT also created the Petrie-class land battleship to accompany the larger ships for military supremacy on the ground. During the First Alliance-PLANT War, these ships are used among others by Andrew Waltfeld, who used two such ships, the Petrie and Henry Carter, in his assault on the Archangel and the Desert Dawn resistance fighters in the desert of North Africa.