Technology & Combat Characteristics
The OZ-06MS Leo was the first mass-produced MS developed by OZ, based on the blueprints of the first combat MS in A.C. history, the "OZ-00MS Tallgeese". The engineer in charge of the development was OZ's Seis Clark. Unlike the Tallgeese, which was so focused on performance that its design disregarded safety and could not be piloted by ordinary people, the Leo was designed to be piloted by normal soldiers, and focused on ease of production and versatility. This was also due to OZ and the Alliance being at odds with the space colonies at the time of its development, and priority was placed on production and its role as a threatening machine rather than excessive performance. As a result, it was simplified and downsized to a level where it could be mass-produced. The back, front and rear of both shoulders, and the sides of the thighs have mechanisms for attaching optional equipment, and by changing its equipment, the Leo can respond to a variety of battlefields. In addition, a performance index for mobile suit, the "Ability Level", was established by setting each of the Leo's performance values at 100 and evaluating the performance of other machines against them.
- The same type of circular shield as the Tallgeese. It is attached to the left shoulder with a joint on the back, enabling the MS to keep both hands free. It also has a holder on the back for storing two beam sabers.
- Beam Saber
- The Leo is equipped with two beam sabers, stored behind the shield. These close combat weapons generated a blade-shaped beam to melt and cut through enemy's armor. One can be used as a reserve weapon, or both can be used simultaneously in a twin sword fashion.
- 105mm Rifle
- One of the Leo's primary armament. This shell firing firearm is designed for mid-range ground combat and has an excellent rate of fire, but low power round for round. Thus, its attacks can be stopped by a healthy layer of armor. The 105mm rifle is fed by a drum magazine containing around 100 rounds and has a targeting radar mounted on top of the muzzle. The 105mm Rifle is held using both hands and the rear end of its stock can split into two.
- Beam Rifle (Normal Type)
- A beam firearm originally developed for the Leo Space Type, it can also be used by the basic Leo on the ground. The weapon is designed with a focus on firepower and is powered by a removable energy pack.
- Beam Rifle (Shorty Type)
- Depending on the situation, this short length firearm can be used instead of the beam rifle (normal type). Both weapons share the same basic construction, but the shorty type is designed with a focus on rate of fire and ease of use. The shorty type is also powered by a removable energy pack.
- Colony Type Beam Rifle
- A third type of beam rifle used by the Leo. Despite its name, it was used by both ground type and space type Leos. It has a square scope, a smaller energy pack than the normal type beam rifle, and can be fitted with either a long barrel or a short barrel. Nothing else is known about it, but it is the same type as the beam rifle used by the Tragos and the "phantom rifle" used by the Tallgeese in the first opening.
- An optional weapon for ranged bombardment, it has a wide attack radius and is usable on earth as well as in space. Due to its length and large recoil, the weapon is held with both arms and sits over the right shoulder when in use. It features the same type of sensor as in the Leo's head, allowing the weapon to have high accuracy.
- Dober Gun
- A long-range firearm, it is similar to the weapon used by Tallgeese. When in use, the rear end of the gun is mounted onto the Leo's shoulder via a shoulder attachment and its trigger is held in hand. This is the only weapon in the Leo's arsenal that can damage Gundanium alloy. Although powerful, it does have a huge recoil when fired. Despite this, it is still possible for a Leo to use two Dober Guns.
- Large Beam Cannon
- A large firearm that a Leo Space Type used to shoot a shuttle in the first episode's opening narration. It is also known as Mega Beam Cannon.
- Beam Cannon
- A large, long-range weapon originally used by the OZ-12SMS Taurus, it fires a powerful beam that can destroy even Gundanium armor.
- Twin Beam Scissors
- A pole weapon borrowed from the XXXG-01D2 Gundam Deathscythe Hell, it emits two sickle-shaped beam blades.
- Buster Rifle
- The main armament of the XXXG-01W Wing Gundam. Its energy cartridges allow it to fire three powerful beam shots, each comparable in power to a battleship's main guns and capable of destroying a small group of mobile suits and ships.
Special Equipment & Features
- Mobile Doll Operating System
- A system that allows mobile suits to act autonomously.
The Leo was the first mass-produced mobile suit developed by OZ, and has been in operation for several decades with repeated minor changes. In A.C. 195, Zechs Merquise used a Leo to engage the XXXG-01W Wing Gundam just after it entered the atmosphere, and managed to trap the Gundam with it, sinking both mobile suits into the sea. Odel Bernett uses it when escorting MO-V. The Leo was later outperformed as a mass production mobile suit by the unmanned Mobile Dolls. Despite this, it served as the counterpart to the White Fang's WF-02MD Virgo II during the Eve Wars. After the Eve Wars, it was hardly used as a military weapon due to the trend of disarmament, and became a humanoid heavy machine.
During the "Mariemaia Incident" in A.C. 196, two Leo Space Types were seized by Heero Yuy and Duo Maxwell when they infiltrated the X18999 colony, and dealt a heavy blow to the enemy Leo forces. However, they were intercepted and defeated by Chang Wufei's XXXG-01S2 Altron Gundam and Trowa Barton's MMS-01 Serpent.
- Leo Cannon Type: An upgraded version of the OZ-06MS, the Leo Cannon Type was identical to the standard model used in AC 195 except for the addition of a pair of beam cannons on the shoulders. The Leo Cannon Type was mostly used by officers and team commanders.
- Leo Early Type: An older version of the OZ-06MS, the Leo Early Type was the original version prior to being upgraded over the years up until AC 195. It features a simpler head design, less armor on the knees and ankles and has differently designed shoulders without the extra armor plates. Despite its age, this version of the Leo was still in use in more remote areas of Earth, including Colonel Bundt's breakaway nation in former China.
- Leo Space Type: Requiring a mobile suit force to help police (read "blockade") travel and commerce between the space colonies, OZ and the Earth Alliance adapted the standard Leo for space use with the addition of a cylindrical booster backpack equipped with rocket and vernier thrusters. Depending on the situation, its primary armament is the beam rifle (space type) or the beam rifle (shorty type). The color scheme for this version is mostly purple, but there were also a few that were painted blue as well. There were also several standard Leo hastily refitted for space use as seen in the opening and later scenes of the OVA Gundam Wing Endless Waltz.
- Reconnaissance Type Leo: Introduced in the G-Unit manga, the Reconnaissance Type Leo (also known as EWAC Leo) is a variant of the Leo Space Type. It is used for reconnaissance and information-gathering. The most notable change to the basic Leo design is the modification of the head unit, which now has three camera eyes and a large radome at the back. The mobile suit is armed with a mini machine gun.
- Leo Flight Unit Type: A Leo fitted with a winged flight unit on its back for limited atmospheric flight. Two drop tanks are mounted on the flight unit for acceleration. Boosters can also be attached to the sides of the thighs for take-off and rapid acceleration.
- Leo Parachute Pack: A small parachute backpack that's used to slow the Leo's descent after being dropped from the transport planes and is jettisoned upon landing.
- MD System Experiment Leo: A unit used to test the Mobile Doll control system, it has a number of cables connected to its back to enable control via external computer system. During the events of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing G-UNIT Operation Galiarest, the White Fang deployed Leo MD units that were capable of full autonomous action without cables.
- Leo Type II (Chimera): Introduced in New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop, it was a prototype version of the Leo used in early military campaigns such as that led by Treize against rebel factions in Mogadishu. At Treize's insistence, these Leos were painted white.
- Leo Type IV (Greif): Featured in the Frozen Teardrop and Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Endless Waltz: Glory of the Losers. Resembles the Tallgeese even more, and features the high speed flight capabilities of the Aries. The cannon is developed from the Tragos, the backpack verniers from the Aries, and the head crown from the Tallgeese. Rebels at the Marius Plant of the Lunar Factory used black-painted Greifs in their rebellion in AC 186.
- Leo Valder Farkill Custom: Featured in New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: G-UNIT, this Leo was the custom unit of OZ Prize leader Valder Farkill while he served under Treize Khushrenada. Although its appearance is distinct from other Leos, very little is known about its specifications.
Illustrations & Artwork
Notes & Trivia
- The Leo's name is derived from "Leo" being the fifth Zodiac sign meaning "lion" - perhaps in reference to the lion symbol of OZ.
- The OZ-06MS Leo is the most common mass production mobile suit in New Mobile Report Gundam W. Its model number is similar to that of the most famous mass production mobile suit from the original Gundam; the MS-06 Zaku II.
- Due to the vast usage of stock footage depicting the Leos being destroyed with ease, a meme has started showing that the Leo is actually one of the weakest units in the Gundam metaverse. This was shown in SD Gundam Force, with the Pawn Leos being shown to be defeated easily, even by running into each other and tripping over their own feet. Fans also joke about Leos being destroyed by sneezes or stray breezes.
- The Large Beam Cannon/Mega Beam Cannon came with the Robot Damashii Leo Option Set 3 which was sold exclusively in May 2014 as well as the P-Bandai HGAC 1/144 OZ-06MS Leo (Space Type) first sold in 2018.
OZ-06MS Leo | OZ-10VMSX Gundam Aesculapius | OZ-19MASX Gundam Griepe | OZX-GU01A Gundam Geminass 01 | OZX-GU01LOB Gundam L.O. Booster | OZX-GU02A Gundam Geminass 02
|Organization of the Zodiac / OZ Prize|
EWAC Leo | OZ-06MS Leo | OZ-06MS-SN3 Leo-N | OZ-06MS-SR2 Leo-R | OZ-06MS-SS1 Leo-S | OZ-10VMSX Gundam Aesculapius | OZ-10VMSX-2 Gundam Burnlapius | OZ-12SMS Taurus | OZ-13MSX1B-S Vayeate Suivant | OZ-13MSX2B-S Mercurius Suivant | OZ-15AGX Hydra Gundam | OZ-19MASX Gundam Griepe
Bulge | Grand Chariot
|United Earth Sphere Alliance|
OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon
WF-02MD Virgo II
XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam | XXXG-01W Wing Gundam
|Gundam W: Battlefield of Pacifists Mechanics|
Leo III | XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero | XXXG-01D2 Gundam Deathscythe Hell | XXXG-01H2 Gundam Heavyarms Custom | XXXG-01S2 Altron Gundam | XXXG-01SR2 Gundam Sandrock Custom
|Organization of the Zodiac|
OZ-06MS Leo | OZ-12SMS Taurus
High-Speed Combat Command Ship | Leo Mothership
|Perfect Peace People|
OZ-04MD Virgo III | OZ-12SMS Taurus | OZ-16MSX-D Scorpio
|Gundam W: Endless Waltz Mechanics|
|G Team / Preventer|
OZ-00MS2B Tallgeese III | OZ-06MS Leo | SK-12SMS Taurus | XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero | XXXG-01D2 Gundam Deathscythe Hell | XXXG-01H2 Gundam Heavyarms Custom | XXXG-01S2 Altron Gundam | XXXG-01SR2 Gundam Sandrock Custom
Crash Shuttle | Preventer Shuttle | Transport Shuttle
MMS-01 Serpent | OZ-06MS Leo | OZ-12SMS Taurus | XXXG-01S2 Altron Gundam
Atmosphere Entry Transport
Interplanetary Transport Ship