Technology & Combat Characteristics
After its capture by Mars Zeon from Strategic Naval Research Institute (SRNI), the F90 Gundam F90 Unit 2 was modified to suit Zeon combat tactics. The performance as a single MS unit was improved by replacing 80% of the exterior and eliminating the optional function of mission packs, which is a feature of the Gundam F90 series. The main purpose of the remodeling was to make the unit compatible with the maintenance parts used by Mars Zeon.
The visual appearance of the Gundam has been modified from its original form to something better suited to a Zeon mobile suit. Specifically the iconic Gundam V-fin crest has been removed, the size of the fore-head mounted camera has been increased and spikes have been added to the left shoulder. It is said that the two arms were equipped with a connection mount to provide a huge amount of power, and that the one theory for doing this was because Mars Zeon was planning to equip a beam shield.
- Vulcan Gun
- The OMS-90R Gundam F90 is equipped with a pair of head mounted Vulcan guns to serve as a mid-close range defensive weapon. While they do little damage against the armor of a mobile suit, they are useful for shoot down incoming missiles, small attack vehicles, or to deter closing in enemy machines.
- Hand Grenade
- The OMS-90R Gundam F90 is mounted with 4 grenades on the hip armor hardpoints, two on each side. These grenades can be thrown like regular grenades and set to detonate upon impact with the target or timed to explode after a preset time.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat weapon of most mobile suits, it emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-field that can cut through any physical armor that have not been treated to resist it. The beam saber is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor, and the OMS-90R Gundam F90 has one beam saber stored on the backpack.
- Machine Gun
- A weapon that fires physical rounds at a rapid rate. When not in use, it is stored on the rear weapon rack.
Special Equipment & Features
- C.A. (Char Aznable) AI System
- The second Gundam F90 was a prototype unit that was equipped with an assisting C.A (Char Aznable) Artificial Intelligent System, a system that was built upon Char Aznable's piloting data. The system would supplement the pilot's own skill in order to increase the unit's overall performance.
- Weapon Rack
The Gundam F90 was captured by the Mars Zeon near Side 4. After the Zeon captured it they renovated it using their maintenance parts and repainted it in a distinctive red-orange-white color scheme.
The Federation's 13th Autonomous Fleet would be sent out to destroy Mars Zeon and recapture the Gundam F90. In the Mars Zeon base the two units, Unit 1 piloted by Def Stallion and the Zeon controlled Unit 2 piloted by Bosch, would battle. Both Units were heavily damaged, but in a final move reminiscent of the final battle between the RX-78-2 Gundam and the MSN-02 Zeong, Unit 1 defeated Unit 2. The remains of both machines were retrieved and Unit 2 was rebuilt into the F90II Gundam F90II.