Technology & Combat Characteristics
Despite its apparent size and bulk, the Baund Doc's half-egg-shaped Mobile Armor mode was very fast and maneuverable thanks to multiple vernier thrusters and apogee motors. The MA mode was equally capable of offensive and defensive operations, and can transform into a non-symmetrical Mobile Suit form armed with a beam rifle, beam saber, and a powerful scattering mega particle gun mounted in its large left arm.
It was equipped with a Psycommu System, which allowed its pilot to more directly interface with the Baund Doc's system. Although normal human pilots could operate this transformable mobile armor, its true potential only came out in the hands of a genetically-engineered "Cyber Newtype" or a natural-born Newtype.
Three Baund Docs were built, although only the first one, the NRX-055-1, was the true prototype model. It had a specially-designed cockpit that could seat two individuals, the pilot and an instructor. The second and third units were essentially the same as the prototype, except they were built with standard single-person cockpits and sported highly distinctive color schemes of blue, yellow and pink.
- Scattering Mega Particle Gun
- Located on the main body in Baund Doc's MA mode, and mounted on the left arm in MS mode. It has a high power rating of 16.4 MW and is capable of targeting multiple enemy units at once.
- Beam Saber
- Baund Doc is equipped with a standard beam saber for close quarters combat that is stored in the torso.
- Beam Rifle
- Baund Doc uses a standard beam rifle in MS mode that is stored on a waist storage rack when not in use.
Special Equipment & Features
- Psycommu is a device connected directly into the user's thoughts, through which the user can manipulate it by using his/her mind. In essence, the Psycommu system works by passively scanning the brainwaves of Newtypes, amplifying them in order to send the brainwave signal out long distances, and then translating these brainwaves into raw machine codes upon being received by the selected object with limitations. Since brainwaves are not affected by the radio interference property of Minovsky particles, at first it was mainly used to mentally control remote weapons via Minovsky Communication, usually mounted with a single beam gun. This enabled the resurrection of BVR engagements, with bits and funnels being the first weapons able to engage targets without visual contact since the development of the Minovsky particle.
A Newtype-use transformable mobile armor developed at the Titans' Augusta Newtype Laboratory, the Baund Doc was perhaps one of the strangest and most unique mobile weapons developed during the Gryps Conflict. All three units prove to be deadly foes for the AEUG, although none of them survived the war.
- Appearing in Gundam Build Fighters: GM's Counterattack, this customized gold-coloured Gunpla is built and operated by Gunpla Mafia member Gawain Oakley. It has a diamond coating, making it impervious to any beam attack. However, in mobile armor mode, it is vulnerable on its underside; as a result, Ricardo Fellini's Gundam Fenice Liberta exploits this weak spot and destroys the Baund Doc from below.
Notes & Trivia
- The Baund Doc's MA mode appears to be inspired by the MAM-07 Grublo.
- Although the yellow Baund Doc was classified as "Jerid Messa's colors" by various materials, the unit never appeared in any animation works. Instead, Jerid is seen piloting Rosamia's pink-and-black Baund Doc.
- The name of the Baund Doc (バウンド・ドック) is derived from the Katakana for "Hound Dog" (ハウンド・ドッグ). It is also loosely spelled similar to Bandock, the four-legged alien space fortress from Invincible Superman Zambot 3 which Yoshiyuki Tomino worked in seven years prior.