Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed by Government Reconstruction Committee. The most powerful weapon of the NRX-0013 Gundam Virsago is undoubtedly its abdomen-mounted mega sonic cannon, which can fire a concentrated, destructive beam or diffused beams to take out multiple targets at once. Another characteristic weapon are its two strike claws, which are mounted on the Virsago's extendable arms. These claws can tear through a mobile suit's armor and also mounts a beam cannon each. Besides these weapons, the Gundam Virsago is also armed with a beam saber and can use a pair of optional Strike Shooters. Although capable of flying on its own, Shagia Frost often stood or held onto his brother's NRX-0015 Gundam Ashtaron in its Mobile Armor mode, allowing the Gundam Virsago to traverse areas quickly without using any of its propellant. Despite being based on the GB-9700 Gundam Belphagor, the Virsago is not equipped with a Flash system.
- Mega Sonic Cannon
- Hidden in the Virsago's abdomen, the mega sonic cannon is the mobile suit's most powerful weapon. It can fire either a concentrated beam capable of vaporizing battleship armor or countless diffused beams that cover a wide area. Because of the weapon's powerful recoil, the Virsago must be secured to the ground via the strike claws. At the time of its introduction, the mega sonic cannon was the second most powerful weapon system employed on a mobile suit, with only the satellite cannon surpassing it. However, unlike the satellite cannon which requires an external power supply, the mega sonic cannon is powered directly by the mobile suit's power plant. Due to power requirements, it takes the cannon some time to charge.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is the standard close-combat weapon for a lot of mobile suits. It generates a blade-shaped beam to melt and cut through enemy's armor. The beam saber can be used together with the strike claws to deal more damage. The Gundam Virsago's beam saber is stored on the rear waist armor when not in use.
- Strike Claw
- Mounted on the Virsago's forearms, the pair of strike claws flip forward when used. Each strike claw features a pair of large claws made from special metal and they can easily tear apart the armor of a mobile suit. As the Virsago's arms are extendable, these claws can hit the enemy from a certain distance away. The strike claws are also used to anchor the Virsago to the ground when it is firing its mega sonic cannon.
- Claw Beam Cannon
- A small beam cannon mounted between the two large claws of each strike claw. To use this weapon, the strike claw has to flip forward first. The beams fired from the claw beam cannons are comparable in power to standard beam weaponry, but thanks to the Virsago's extendable arms, the cannons' long-range attack capability is enhanced.
- Strike Shooter
- A three barreled beam gun, the Virsago can optionally carry a pair of them in its hands. Each gun also has a claw, which can be used in combination with the strike claws for close-range attacks. The pair of strike shooters can also be combined into a single weapon.
Developed by the New United Nations Earth, the Virsago served as the personal mobile suit of Shagia Frost. Used extensively in North America to gather information prior to the invasion of the New United Nations Earth forces, Shagia also used the Virsago in a pursuit of the Freeden and its Gundams. After repeated defeats, and suffering damage from the upgraded Gundams of the Freeden, the Virsago itself was upgraded into the NRX-0013-CB Gundam Virsago Chest Break.
Notes and Trivia
- The mechanisms for Virsago's extendable arms are similar to that of the XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam and XXXG-01S2 Altron Gundam from Gundam Wing.
- In addition, its color and body type looks similar to that of OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon.