The Musai Kai-class is a fictional space cruiser seen in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
After the One Year War, the Musai type was modernized and modified to become the main ship owned by the Republic of Zeon. The Musai Kai-class's basic structure is not much different from its predecessor, but it has two new secondary guns, and other modifications were made to the thermonuclear reactor and the radiating mechanism. Fins were added to the engine blocks and the sides of the main body, and a pair of antennae were added to the bridge tower. It is unknown how many mobile suits they could carry, but it can easily be said that they were capable of carrying at least five of the new RMS-106 Hizack mobile suits like its predecessor: three in the hangar and two in its Komusai shuttle.
- Twin Mega Particle Gun
- The main armament of the Musai Kai-class includes three 2-barrel mega particle guns mounted on the main body, similar to its predecessor. Due to their position, these guns are able to aim forward, up and to sides of the ship, but not down.
- Secondary Gun
- The Musai Kai-class sports a pair of single-barrel secondary guns, mounted below the missile launchers on the main body.
- Large Missile Launcher
- Carried over from the Musai-class, the Musai Kai-class sports a pair of large missile launchers, mounted between the third 2-barrel mega particle gun turret and the single-barrel secondary guns.
Special Equipment & Features
- Carried over from the original Musai-class, each Musai Kai-class had a specialized dock in the bow for carrying a single Komusai shuttle that could be used to transport men, mobile suits, and equipment down to Earth. The Komusai shuttle is often pressed into service as secondary hangars, increasing the number of mobile suits the ship could carry by two.
- External Fuel Tank
- Carried over from its predecessor, the Musai Kai-class can be fitted with up to two external fuel tanks, each located below the mobile suit hangar and between the struts for the engine blocks. These tanks carry additional fuel to extend operational time, and can be easily switched out and replaced with full tanks.
After the One Year War the government of the Principality of Zeon was restructured back into the Republic of Zeon, an independent state that was allowed to maintain its own military force as long as they abide by rules and regulations set down by the Earth Federation and comply with regular and random inspections. The Republic of Zeon designed and used a new upgraded version of the Musai as their light cruiser that was called the Musai Kai-class.
By U.C. 0087, most of the surviving Musai-class ships had been upgraded into the Musai Kai-class by the Zeon forces at the mobile asteroid Axis. This subclass was in use by the Republic during the Gryps War and well into the U.C. 0090s. During the Gryps War, the Republic of Zeon would supply the Titans with several Musai Kai-class ships. The Titans would use this ship during Operation Apollo and the evacuation of the Gate of Zedan.
At least one Musai Kai-class was used by the Neo Zeon remnants "Sleeves" in U.C. 0096, and was stationed at the Palau mining asteroid colony. It was destroyed when the Nahel Argama used its Hyper Mega Particle Cannon to destroy Palau's military port.
- "Kai" is the Japanese Kanji character "改", In English translates into "Modified."