'Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation - Heir to the Stars (機動戦士Zガンダム -星を継ぐ者- Kidou Senshi Z Gundam I: Hoshi o Tsugu Mono?, also known as Mobile Suit Zeta : A New Translation) is a 2005 Japanese animated film directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino, and animated by Sunrise. It is the first compilation movie in the Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam movie trilogy, and is a compilation of episode 1 to episode 14 of the television series.
In celebration of Gundam's 25th anniversary (and also the 20th anniversary of Zeta Gundam), the 50-episode series was compiled into a new movie trilogy. According to Tomino, the movie series was created to fix some of the problems he identified in the Zeta TV series and to bring the 20-year-old series into a 21st-century context for the new generation now experiencing the increasingly commercialized series such as Mobile Suit Gundam SEED.The compilation digitally remastered the TV series of Zeta Gundam with new footage. 33% of the first film was remastered footage.
It is U.C.0087, seven years after the end of the One Year War. After the events of Operation Stardust, the Earth Federation establishes an elite counter-insurgency division called the Titans to hunt down the remaining pockets of Zeon remnants. The Titans become overzealous in their mission, start resorting to brutal methods to achieve their goals, and become nothing more than ruthless tyrants with an ambition to rule the Earth Sphere. Two anti-Titans resistance groups, the Anti-Earth Union Group (AEUG) and their earth-bound counterparts Karaba (led by Hayato Kobayashi), form to unite the various existing small forces in the struggle against Titans. Their members consist of renegade soldiers of the Earth Federal forces, former soldiers of Principality of Zeon, and militia from space colonies. Most notable is Bright Noa, who returns as captain of the assault cruiser Argama, the flagship of AEUG space fleet, and Quattro Bajeena, who is really the legendary ace pilot Char Aznable, the "Red Comet".
Kamille Bidan is a troubled civilian seventeen-year old from Side 7's Green Noa 1 colony. His personal resentment towards the Titans results in him joining the AEUG. Quattro takes Kamille under his wings and becomes his mentor. The series also sees the partnership and cooperation between Kamille and Amuro, and the tension between Amuro and Char. Behind the frontline, the resistance group AEUG and Karaba are supported by many companies on Earth and in space, particularly the moon-based corporations. Besides financial support, the lunar manufacturing giant Anaheim Electronics also provides logistics and technical supports for AEUG, including spaceships, mobile suits, and munitions.
To be added.
- Kamille Bidan
- Emma Sheen
- Reccoa Londe
- Bright Noa
- Blex Forer
- Henken Bekkener
- Apolly Bay
- Astonaige Medoz
- Quattro Bajeena
Earth Federation Forces
- RMS-179 GM II
- RMS-106 Hizack
- RMS-117 Galbaldy β
- PMX-000 Messala
- ORX-005 Gaplant
- NRX-044 Asshimar
- RX-178 Gundam Mk-II
- RMS-099 Rick Dias
- MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki
- MSA-003 Nemo
- RMS-179 GM II
- Metamorphoze by Gackt (Opening)
- Kimi ga Matteiru Kara (君が待っているから; Because you're Waiting) by Gackt (Ending)
- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation II - Lovers (Sequel)
- Mobile Suit Z Gundam Heir to the Stars (Adaptation)
- According to Tomino, it was offered to him to make a Zeta movie back in the 90's, but it ended not happening, later he got the offer again and accepted.
- In the Zeta Historica interview Akinori Endo revealed the subtitles of Zeta movies were made up by him back in May 1998 when he wrote the proposal for the movie.
- In the Zeta Bible, it was included the original Tomino Memo for the movies, it was revealed that it was supposed to be a 3-part 85 minute long movie or 2-part 120-150 minute long movie.
- In the memo, the tentative names were:
- Part 1 : 星を継ぐ者 (Heirs to the Stars)
- Part 2 : 恋人たち (Lovers)
- Part 3 : 三つ巴 (Three Ways or Triskelion)
- The movie was made available for online streaming in select regions as part of Gundam Online Expo from August 20, 2020.
- Zeta Gundam New Translation site
- [Yoshiyuki Tomino x Harutoshi Fukui partial interview Zeta ANT in Gundam Ace]
- [Kenichi Matsumura interview about Zeta Gundam ANT in Gundam Ace]
- [Japan Media Arts Plaza - partial interview with Yoshiyuki Tomino about Zeta Gundam ANT]