Gundam 0080 also began an enduring tradition of retroactive redesigns. Yutaka Izubuchi updated the original Mobile Suit Gundam's dated mechanical designs and costumes, and since then every new creative team has offered its own take on the classic Gundam props.
Not being penned by Tomino, Gundam 0080 also marked a significant departure from the constant background theme of Newtypes featured in the Universal Century Gundam universe, from the original Mobile Suit Gundam until Char's Counterattack. The absence of this theme raised the series' appeal towards audiences without special liking of Gundam or Tomino's work, and would continue in many following Gundam stories' narrations about ordinary soldiers and people in these conflicts.
The character designer for this series was Haruhiko Mikimoto.
December, Universal Century 0079. Zeon intelligence has identified a prototype Federation Gundam under development in a Federation base in the Arctic. The Cyclops Team, an elite Zeon MS commando team, is dispatched to destroy the prototype, but before they can accomplish their mission, the Gundam is launched into space.
When the Gundam turns up in a Federation R&D base inside the neutral space colony Side 6, the Principality launches a covert operation to destroy the Gundam. When the raid fails, the Zeon prepares to launch a nuclear strike against the colony as punishment for siding with the Federation, unless the last remaining commando can eliminate the Gundam.
|#||Episode Title||Japanese Airdate||English Airdate|
|1||How Many Miles to the Battlefield?||25 March 1989||5 November 2001|
|2||Reflections in a Brown Eye||25 April 1989||6 November 2001|
|3||And at the End of the Rainbow?||25 May 1989||7 November 2001|
|4||Over the River and Through the Woods||25 June 1989||9 November 2001|
|5||Say it Ain't So, Bernie!||25 July 1989||12 November 2001|
|6||War in the Pocket||25 August 1989||13 November 2001|
Main article: List of Universal Century episodes
- "Itsuka Sora ni Todoite" (いつか空に届いて; Reach Out to the Sky Someday) by Megumi Shiina
- "Tooi Kioku (遠い記憶; Distant Memory)" by Megumi Shiina
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket Chris Dreams
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (Novel)
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (Manga)
- Gundam 0080 Visual Comic
Riah Republic Colony Defense Forces
- No pre-existing mobile suit designs appear in the OVA series. With the exception of the MSM-03C Hygogg, MS-18E Kämpfer and RGM-79SP GM Sniper II, all appearing mobile suits are offshoot developments of previously-seen mobile suits. Although Yutaka Izubuchi initially designed these variants to represent their original model mobile suits (as seen in MS ERA Pictoral), they were instead classified as variant models rather than the original models.
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket Official Website (Japanese)
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket on GundamOfficial
| Preceded by:|
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
| Chronological order|
0079 U.C. – 0080 U.C.
| Succeeded by:|
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory