This article is about the mobile suit. For the anime series this unit is named after, see Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ. The MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam (aka ΖΖ Gundam, ZZ; pronounced "Double Zeta") is the titular mobile suit of the anime Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ and is piloted by Judau Ashta.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A direct development of the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam, the ΖΖ Gundam, which had been completed through a prototype, was given the development code "θ" (thus also known as the "θ Gundam") as it was the sixth "Anaheim Gundam" after the RMS-099 Rick Dias (also known as “γ Gundam”). The development plan of the ΖΖ Gundam existed two years before the completion of the Zeta Gundam but was shelved due to internal competition and production delays. However, the performance advantage of the Zeta Gundam against new Titans mobile suits did not last long, and so development of the ΖΖ Gundam was resumed.
The ΖΖ Gundam sought to reproduce the operating functions of the RX-78-2 Gundam and the G-Armor in a single machine. An advanced form of the RX-78-2 Gundam's Core Block System was also introduced. As a result, the ΖΖ Gundam can transform into a mobile armor form called the G-Fortress, which acts as a heavy combat bomber and for cruising in space and on earth. The ΖΖ Gundam can also separate into two independent fighter units, called the Core Top and Core Base. The Core Base, consisting of the ΖΖ's lower body and backpack, is operated through the FXA-07GB Neo Core Fighter attached to its front. The Core Top, consisting of the ΖΖ's upper body and double beam rifle, is operated through the cockpit in its nose unit or more frequently through the Neo Core Fighter, which is in its Core Block form, attached to the lower rear.
The team on board the "Argama" typically operates the ΖΖ Gundam with a third Neo Core Fighter piloted by the Gundam's main pilot, Judau Ashta. When combining into the ΖΖ Gundam, forming the G-Fortress mode is the first step and consists of the Core Top and Core Base ejecting their Neo Core Fighters to dock with Judau's Neo Core Fighter in Core Block form. When transforming from the G-Fortress mode to MS mode, the large verniers in the arms and legs are retracted. However, this does not reduce total thrust as the surplus output is supplied to the attitude control thrusters distributed throughout the body and the number of operable thrusters are actually increased. Other parts that move during transformation include the flexible wing binders that also serve as arm-mounted wings shields, the shoulder thruster binders, the large backpack, etc.
The engine installed in the backpack is originally meant for ships and could supply power for an entire ship. It also functions as the main thruster unit of the ΖΖ Gundam when in MS form, generating thrust equivalent to that of a large ship. The ΖΖ Gundam's armor is a multi-spaced structure composed of Gundarium γ alloy, capable of withstanding a mobile suit explosion at close range and resisting high water pressure. While it is impossible to completely defend against a direct hit of a mega particle beam, the wings shields are strong enough to prevent a direct hit on the cockpit.
With its overall height limited to around 20 meters as requested by AEUG to maintain mobility, the ΖΖ Gundam's design also incorporated the movable frame and magnet coating technology. The generator output which had caused problems during early stages of ΖΖ's development was resolved by incorporating three compact, high-output generators. The movable modules and armor parts, which have a multi-layered structure, are connected by hinges and slide rails which have magnet coating, making them flexible and robust while allowing instantaneous transformation of the ΖΖ Gundam. However, the complexity of the system resulted in poor maintainability and productivity also deteriorated.
The control system of the ΖΖ Gundam is equipped with a Bio-Sensor, which is a simplified Psycommu system, as an interface for Newtype pilots. An improved version of the Biosensor installed in the Zeta Gundam, it improves the responsiveness of the mobile suit by supporting the control system with the pilot's brainwaves. However, as a protective measure, the Biosensor is inactive when a pilot with low Newtype abilities boards the ΖΖ Gundam. The unit is mounted in the ΖΖ Gundam's Core Block and the synchronization of the device is improved by inputting the brainwave patterns of the Neo Core Fighter's pilot.
The ΖΖ Gundam has a number of powerful weaponry, including two hyper beam sabers which are also usable as beam cannons, a double beam rifle, a 21-tube missile launcher installed on the backpack, and a high mega cannon on the forehead. While the ΖΖ has a very destructive arsenal, its weapons systems require a high level of energy. As a result, the ΖΖ often found itself almost completely drained of power after using its high mega cannon. The ΖΖ Gundam's structural issues due to its complicated construction and transformation systems were eventually corrected with the MSZ-010S Enhanced ZZ Gundam and its massive final upgrade FA-010S Full Armor ZZ Gundam.
- 60mm Double Vulcan Gun
- As with many mobile suits, the ZZ Gundam has head-mounted Vulcan Guns, specifically a pair of 60mm double vulcan guns, for a total of four guns and they are loaded with 400 rounds. They are mainly for intercepting incoming missiles/rockets, destroying mobile suit sensors, and engaging lightly-armored vehicles. They are operable in mobile suit mode only.
- Double Beam Rifle
- The primary ranged weapon of the ZZ Gundam, the double beam rifle is powered by a built-in small generator and can also be supplied with energy from the mobile suit. It possesses two barrels that need to be replaced every 200 shots, and a cockpit at the back. As with all of the ZZ Gundam's beam weapons, the double beam rifle possesses an unusually high power rating, with the beams from each individual barrel having a power rating of 10.6 MW for a combined total of 21.2 MW. The output and convergence rate of the beam can be manually adjusted. The double beam rifle mounts on the main body when the ZZ Gundam is in G-Fortress mode or when the Core Top is separated, however the barrels are rotated backwards and positioned underneath the body while its cockpit will face forward. This cockpit can be used to pilot the G-Fortress or the Core Top but is inoperable in mobile suit mode, so anyone in the double beam rifle's cockpit when the ZZ Gundam transforms is essentially stuck on the butt of a dangerous beam rifle.
- High Mega Cannon
- Mounted in the center of the ZZ Gundam's head is a high mega cannon. It has a power rating of 50 MW and its output is one-fifth that of a Colony Laser's, making it the most powerful beam weapon used by a mobile suit during the First Neo Zeon War, as well as one of the most powerful weapon mounted on a mobile suits ever. The power of the high mega cannon's beam can seriously damage a mobile suit with even a glancing hit, and as shown when used against Chara Soon's AMX-104 R-Jarja, it can completely destroy a standard mobile suit shield making it difficult to block the beam. However, its power is also a weakness as the ZZ's reactor is unable to handle repeated usage of the high mega cannon. The high mega cannon is operable in mobile suit mode only.
- Hyper Beam Saber/Beam Cannon
- The ZZ Gundam stores a pair of hyper beam sabers on its backpack. The hilts of these beam sabers are easily three times larger than other beam sabers' during the First Neo Zeon War. The weapon emits a much longer and more powerful blade that can easily cut through several mobile suits in a single swing. Its blade length of about 1.5 times that of regular beam saber's also makes it possible to easily break armor made of Gundarium alloy. The Hyper Beam Sabers double as beam cannons when attached to the backpack. The beam cannon mode can be used in MS form, G-Fortress mode or when the Core Base is separated. Each Hyper Beam Saber has a power rating of 1.1 MW, while the beam cannon mode has a power rating of 10 MW each.
- 21-tube Missile Launcher
- The ZZ Gundam mounts a pair of missile launchers on its backpack in mobile suit mode, and on its main body in G-Fortress mode as well as on the Core Base when separated. Each missile launcher possesses 21-tubes that are loaded with AMA-13S small missiles. Also the FXA-07GB Neo Core Fighter, which serves as the cockpit for the mobile suit and the Core Base, also mounts a pair of missile launchers that load with AMA-09S small missiles.
- Wing Shield
- The ZZ Gundam mounts a pair of shields on its forearms, and they serve the purpose of protecting the ZZ from attacks that it cannot dodge. They also serve as wings/control surfaces for the G-Fortress and Core Top to increase mobility in the atmosphere.
Special Equipment & Features
- A technological variant of the psycommu system developed by Anaheim Electronics. Although its full capabilities are unknown, its primary purpose was to allow a Newtype pilot to more easily interface with his mobile suit via mental commands. The bio-sensor could also have a rather surprising side effect when the pilot was mentally and emotionally focused enough (usually when angry or upset) to cause the bio-sensor to amplify the power, speed and strength of the mobile suit for a short period of time.
- Core Block System
- Separable Transformation Components
- Ballute System
- An atmospheric entry device designed to be used by a MS. As the MS enters the atmosphere, a bowl-shaped ballute (balloon parachute) deploys to protect it from the friction heat of atmospheric entry.
Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam
With the success of the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam, Anaheim Electronics continued their "Project Zeta" and developed new mobile suits for the AEUG's use. One such machine is the MSZ-010 ZZ Gundam, a transformable mobile suit that also incorporated the Core Block System of the original RX-78-2 Gundam, the movable frame technology of the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II, and the bio-sensor of the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam.
The ΖΖ Gundam, codenamed "θ Gundam" (Theta Gundam), was originally held in the La Vie en Rose, but was soon transferred piecemeal to the Argama. The first piece of the ZZ Gundam, the FXA-07GB Neo Core Fighter was brought to the Argama by Roux Louka while the battleship was still in the Shangri-La colony at Side 1. After the Argama left the colony and headed for the La Vie en Rose while being pursued by the Endra, the Core Top and Core Base were delivered en route, with additional Core Fighters.
While the Argama's pilots were in the middle of a battle at the moment, the two pieces of the ZZ Gundam arrived, they then assembled in mid-flight to form the complete ZZ Gundam, with Judau Ashta piloting the mobile suit. Judau then used the power of the ZZ Gundam's high mega cannon, to drive off the Neo-Zeon mobile suits which included Mashymre Cello's AMX-103 Hamma Hamma and Chara Soon's AMX-104 R-Jarja. Judau served as the ZZ Gundam's primary pilot, though he and Roux occasionally traded mobile suits during certain battles due to the Zeta Gundam's lighter weight and better mobility. Sometime before the final battle of the First Neo Zeon War, the ZZ Gundam was upgraded to the MSZ-010S Enhanced ZZ Gundam.
Notes and Trivia
- During the ZZ Gundam's conceptualization, several names were proposed which included Gundam Mk-III, Omega Gundam and Neo Gundam. The ZZ Gundam's initial design was determined through a Design Competition, in which mechanical designers including Makoto Kobayashi (小林誠), Hideo Okamoto (岡本英朗), Mika Akitaka (明貴美加), Hiroyuki Kitazume (北爪 宏幸), Yutaka Izubuchi (出渕裕), Mamoru Nagano (永野護), Kazumi Fujita (藤田一己) and Kunio Okawara(大河原 邦男) all designed their own versions of the ZZ Gundam before the show aired. Makoto's design won the competition yet still received various clean-ups from Hideo and Mika. The Gundam Mk-III and Neo Gundam names would be reused - the Z-MSV MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III and the RX-99 Neo Gundam of Mobile Suit Gundam Silhouette Formula 91.
- The "Double Vulcan" specification in the head has been interpreted in different ways. Some product and illustrations will indicate this as a total of 4 vulcans either through the use of the 4 protrusions present on the head that look like vents, or with actually adding additional vulcan ports to the head and indicating 2 of 4 head protrusions as vulcan ports. In the MG ZZ and Full Armor ZZ manuals, the head is noted to possess 60mm and 90mm vulcans. However in the MG ZZ Ver. Ka instruction manual, only two 60mm vulcans remain.
- Ever since its debut in the Gundam Vs series starting with Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam, the ZZ lacked the ability to transform into its G-Fortress mode for unknown reasons. Despite receiving a new moveset in later games, it was still unable to transform before this was finally rectified in Gundam Extreme Vs. where it is replaced by its Full Armor version.
- As of Maxi Boost however, the problem is rectified with the ZZ being able to utilize all of its Core components.
- The ZZ is similar to the AGE-3 Gundam AGE-3 Normal in terms of bulk and having experimental powerful weaponry.
- The ZZ has one more component in the main body than the AGE-3 Gundam AGE-3 Normal.
- Prior to its confirmed production, the ZZ Gundam previously won 1st place on a Gundam.info census at September 2016, where fans voted for a new Master Grade Ver. Ka to celebrate the opening pre-orders for the MG Nu Gundam HWS (Ver. Ka.), with ZZ winning 1st place.
- To obtain the ZZ Gundam at Gundam Breaker Mobile, players must build it from event blueprints during a limited time when it is available as a build project. This is very resource-intensive process, as each part requires a combination of twelve total Material which can only be obtained by rolling the current gacha capsules on specific weeks to get the number of necessary material for the part. it would take at least eighty-four rolls over four weeks to craft the parts.
- Master Grade MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam" instruction manual, Bandai, December 1999.
- Data Collection Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ Kadokawa Shoten, December 1997
- Gundam Sentinel" Dai Nihon Kaiga, September 1988
- "Gundam Magazine" Vo. 3, Kodansha, March 1991
- "1/100 MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam" manual, Bandai, July 1986.
- HG 1/144 MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam" manual, Bandai, July 1991.
- Original 1/144 MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam, instruction manual, Bandai, June 1986.
- HGUC 1/144 MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam, instruction manual, Bandai, June 2010.
- Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ Episode 24 Sibling Love Blooming in the South Seas,
- "Master Grade FA-010S Full Armor ΖΖ Gundam" manual, Bandai, August 2000.
- "Hobby Japan", May 2001
- "ENTERTAINMENT BIBLE .2 Mobile Suit Gundam MS Mobile Suit Encyclopedia PART.2 [Gryps War Edition]" Bandai
- Shindosha "Mystery of Gundam World 70", The Anime, June 1986
- MS Encyclopedia 2003. Mediaworks. ISBN 4-84-022339-4
- Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, Hobby Japan appendix booklet, Hobby Japan