Technology & Combat Characteristics
Inspired by the success of the MSZ-006A1 Zeta Plus A1, the AEUG further develops and redesigns the MSZ-006A1 in the form of the C1 type. Designed primarily to fly up to extreme altitudes into space, the MSZ-006C1 Ζeta Plus C1 was equipped with updated cooling systems, hybrid ramjet/rocket engines that were capable of adapting to any type of environment, and was fitted with a new backpack the has four additional thrusters. However, this unit retained the wing binders of the A1 type, discarding the flying armor concept of the prototype Zeta Gundam, allowing it to perform atmospheric entry with precise calibration.
The C1 type's offensive capabilities were increased with the addition of a powerful Beam Smart Gun, which was integrated into a flight sub unit that contained a small generator and energy CAP system, and with the option of equipping a coaxial disc radome for long-range attacks. The beam smart gun served as the unit's nose when the suit is in Wave Rider mode. Propellant tanks could also be attached to the wing binders, giving the C1 type the ability to descend to the lunar surface and then launch back into space.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Two 60mm vulcan guns are mounted in the sides of the Ζeta Plus C1's head. Having low power but a high rate of fire, they are mainly used to ward off advancing enemies, intercept missiles, etc.
- Thigh Beam Cannon
- A pair of beam cannons are mounted to the thighs of the Ζeta Plus C1, and in Wave Rider mode they serve as the Zeta Plus C1's main armaments. Also usable in mobile suit mode.
- Beam Saber
- Beam sabers are standard equipment on all Federation MS. The beam sabers use Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material. A beam saber is stored within the top of each thigh beam cannon.
- Beam Smart Gun
- The Beam Smart Gun is an advanced, high powered beam rifle. It features a particle deflecting system at the muzzle that can bend the fired beam by up to 20 degrees, and is able to rapid fire at high power briefly. It also has two energy intakes that can be linked to the movable frame hard point of the Mobile Suit. The Zeta Plus C1's smart gun is integrated with its shield.
Special Equipment & Features
- Disk Radome
- The Disk Radome is set parallel to the Beam Smart Gun's sensor unit and can perform a wide area scan. Its main function is to provide specific location of multiple enemies on the field.
Two units are assigned to Task Force Alpha during the Pezun Rebellion. On March 1, U.C. 0088, Zeta Plus pilots Tex West and Sigman Shade escort the booster-equipped S Gundam in its attack on the power satellite SOL 7804, and they fight alongside the Ex-S Gundam throughout the battle for Ayers City. During the final battle with the New Desides on April 4, Tex West is reassigned to operate the G-Bomber and his Zeta Plus is transferred to former Nero pilot Chung Yung. Although Chung Yung’s machine is destroyed in combat, Sigman Shade successfully enters the atmosphere and his Zeta Plus is recovered intact.
Notes and Trivia
- The Zeta Plus C1's name is derived from "Zeta", which is the sixth letter of the Greek Alphabet - which may be a reference to its model number.
- The original 1/144 MSZ-006C1 "Zeta Plus C1" is one of the first 1/144 plastic kits capable of transforming from MS mode to Waverider mode..