Technology & Combat Characteristics
An experimental mobile suit derived from the Zeta Plus A1, the A2 type was developed by Anaheim Electronics to evaluate the performance of the devastatingly powerful High Mega Cannon. The High Mega Cannon could not perform well due to reduction in beam intensity when used in the atmosphere. Operational data of the High Mega Cannon would be utilized in the MSZ-010 ΖΖ Gundam.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Two 60mm Vulcan Gun mounted on the sides of Zeta Plus' head. Having low power but a high rate of fire, they are mainly used to ward off advancing enemies, intercept missiles, etc. Comparing with Zeta Gundam, Zeta Plus' extended head allows it to carry 80% more ammunition for its vulcan guns.
- High Mega Cannon
- Mounted in the center of the Zeta Plus A2's head is a high mega cannon to be used in the mobile suit mode. It is one of the most powerful beam weapons used by mobile suits, and its beam can seriously damage any target with even a glancing hit. However, its power is also a weakness as the Zeta Plus A2's reactor is unable to handle repeated usage of the high mega cannon.
- Thigh Beam Cannon
- A pair of beam cannons are mounted on the thighs of the Ζeta Plus A2, and usable in both mobile suit and waverider forms. They are power rated at 2.4 MW.
- Beam Saber
- Beam sabers are standard equipment on all Federation MS. The beam sabers use Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material without anti-beam coating. The Zeta Plus A2 has a pair of beam sabers stored within the top of the thigh beam cannon.
- The shield of the Zeta Plus A2 is the same as Zeta Plus A1. It not only protect the mobile suit from physical and beam attacks, it also serve as the nose unit in waverider mode.
- Beam Rifle
- The same beam rifle as used by the Zeta Plus A1, it is powered by replaceable e-pacs.
It is estimated that around six Zeta Plus A1 units were converted into A2 types, three of which were experimentally deployed in combat, and the remaining machines disassembled for replacement parts.