The MSN-06S Sinanju (aka Sinanju) is a mobile suit featured in the Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn novel, its OVA adaptation and the television re-cut. A modified version of the MSN-06S Sinanju Stein, it was piloted by Full Frontal.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Originally the MSN-06S Sinanju Stein developed by Anaheim Electronics as part of the Earth Federation's "UC Project", its movable frame is partly made from Psycho-Frame materials. This mobile suit was then stolen and modified into the MSN-06S Sinanju by the Neo Zeon remnant group known as "The Sleeves", and became the personal machine of the group's leader, Full Frontal.
All of the Gundam-like features (except for the head-mounted vulcan guns) in the Sinanju Stein have been replaced with a Zeonic design and weaponry. Painted in crimson and with gold engraving, the Sinanju looks like the emblem of the Neo Zeon forces embodied. This decoration not only strengthens the armor, but is also said to be a design that is meant to control the organization known as the Neo Zeon remnants. The Sinanju Stein was an experimental machine, so there were some concerns about the armor's resistance to elasticity, but in order to increase the pilot's survival, the beam coating was strengthened from the two-layer structure used in most conventional MS to a five-layer structure, and the entire cockpit block was covered with Luna Titanium X material, and the Sinanju's armor has been strengthened as flagship machine.
The Sinanju is also equipped with thrust deflector thrusters shaped like the large wings of a bird of prey, and flexible thrusters on the left and right sides of both legs and shins. Together with the numerous thrusters located all over its body, it is capable of acrobatic maneuvering combat that is impossible for a normal MS to achieve. With its overwhelming combat ability, crimson body, and mono-eye sensor, the Sinanju reminds all who see it of the legendary "Red Comet".
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted on the head, the pair of Vulcan guns are not very powerful and typically unable to penetrate mobile suit's armor, but they are useful in intercepting missiles/rockets, destroying mobile suit sensors, and engaging lightly-armored targets such as tanks and small aircraft. This armament was kept on the Sinanju during the refit by The Sleeves.
- Beam Saber
- Stored within each forearm, the beam sabers can be handheld or be deployed directly as the storage cover is lifted.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged weapon of the Sinanju, its output is higher than other standard beam rifle and has its own energy condenser. When fitted with the optional long-range sensor, it can be used for sniping. The rifle can be equipped with either a grenade launcher or rocket bazooka on the underside. It can be stored on the rear skirt armor when not in use.
- A custom long shield that is used for defense. It can store the Beam Axes and either the Grenade Launcher or the Rocket Bazooka. It can also be used as a makeshift melee weapon as shown by Full Frontal when engaging a Jegan dispatched from the General Revil. It can either be attached to the forearms or to the shoulder armor.
- Beam Axe
- The pair of beam axes have high output, and their beam blades can change shape via varying their output, turning them into beam sword-axes. When the two beam sword-axes are combined at the grip, they form a beam naginata. The beam axes can be used when stored on the shield as they are attached to movable mounts, allowing them to flip forward when required.
- Grenade Launcher
- Can be mounted on the underside of either the beam rifle or the shield.
- Rocket Bazooka
- An alternative handheld armament for the Sinanju, it has an extendable barrel and its magazine carries five rounds. The Rocket Bazooka can be fired while the barrel is compacted, but the projectile's muzzle velocity is decreased. It can be mounted on the underside of the shield or the beam rifle and used that way.
Special Equipment & Features
- External Propellant Tanks
- An external tank used for propellant storage. The extra propellant greatly extends a mobile suit's operating range, and enables it to stay in combat longer. When the propellant is consumed, the tank can be discarded to reduce the mobile suit's weight. These tanks use a two-layered construction, with one layer containing propellant, and the other holding extra coolant.
- Psycho-Frame Cockpit
- The Psycho-Frame is a technology that builds the brainwave-to-machine code translator known as Psycommu into the metal frame of a Mobile Suit. This allows a Newtype or Cyber Newtype pilot to mentally connect with their mobile suits operating system, similar to the bio-sensor, and directly issue commands via the pilots brainwaves.
- Intention Automatic System
- This system is a development of the bio-sensor technology used in the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam. It allows the pilot's thoughts to be directly reflected in the mobile suit's movements without the need to manually move the mobile suit, enabling a reaction speed and operational precision that far surpasses manual maneuverability.
After the end of the Second Neo Zeon War, the Earth Federation Forces launched the "UC Project" with the aim of wiping out "Zeonism", the belief that human beings can become Newtype evolved beings, by U.C.0100., when the Republic of Zeon will give up its autonomy, and return to the state before the Zeon forces appeared. In order to destroy the Newtype and Psycho Machines, and to calm down Zeonism, they started to develop machines for hunting Newtype. The E.F.F. entrusted the development of such a machine to Anaheim Electronics.
During the Second Neo Zeon War, a single MS pushed back the Axis, a threatening phenomenon that changed even the laws of physics, and Anaheim Electronics worked to elucidate the Psycho-Frame, which turned out to have non-standard performance. As a result, the "MSN-06S Sinanju Stein" was completed by a specially organized team that integrated two separate teams within AE: the Von Braun City factory, which mainly manufactured the RX-93 ν Gundam and MS for the E.F.F., and the Granada factory, which mainly developed MSN-04 Sazabi and MS for the Neo Zeon forces. After testing was completed, Anaheim Electronics handed the two completed Sinanju Stein to "the Sleeves", a Neo Zeon remnant group, in the form of a transfer disguised as a robbery.
One of the Sinanju Stein was then modified into the MSN-06S Sinanju to suit Full Frontal, leader of the Sleeves. Additionally, the mobile suit's entire exterior was redesigned in the Zeon style to make it a flagship machine that would symbolize and lead the Neo Zeon forces. Sinanju and Frontal were both dubbed "The return of the Red Comet" for the way the crimson mobile suit moved at high speed across the battlefield. It became an object of worship and morale uplift for Neo Zeon, which had lost its general Char Aznable, and whose morale had been declining. On the other hand, the E.F.S.F. feared them as a threat.
For more on Sinanju's exploits, please go to Full Frontal's page.
Illustrations & Artwork
Notes & Trivia
- The Sinanju's name is derived from a fictional style of martial arts that came from a paperback book series known as The Destroyer. This is likely a reference to the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam, which has a "Destroy Mode" within it.
- Though it has a tremendous speed as seen on the OVA, in Gundam Memories: Tatakai no Kioku, Sinanju is classified as a "short" unit, instead of "speed" unit.
- The Sinanju's model number (MSN-06S) is almost identical to the MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type that Char once piloted, which is a clear play on its pilot Full Frontal being "The Second Coming of Char". Another gag is that Sinanju is described as moving "at three times the speed" of a Geara Zulu, which is what Char's MS-06S Zaku II Commander's Type is described as compared to a normal Zaku II.
- MSN-06S Sinanju on Gundam-Unicorn.net (English)
- MSN-06S Sinanju on MAHQ.net
- MS-06S Sinanju on Gundams Over Germany