The MSN-02 Zeong (ジオング Jiongu?) is a prototype mobile suit appearing in the anime Mobile Suit Gundam. Developed by the Principality of Zeon at the A Baoa Qu space fortress during the One Year War, it was built for Newtype pilots and was first piloted by the "Red Comet" Char Aznable.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The final product of the MS-16X "Bishop Plan", the Zeong was only 80% complete when it was deployed, thus its lack of legs and exposed upper arms. Although the legs would aid in the AMBAC System, their omission did not hinder the mobile suit from performing at 100% combat capacity, since two rocket thrusters were installed at where the legs were supposed to be.
The Zeong was the first mobile suit to use the Psycommu system, which allowed its pilot to utilize its wire-guided remote-controlled forearms for all-range attack effectively. Each forearm was built with 5-mega particle gun in its fingers. Two additional beam guns were built into the waist. Lastly, there was a single beam cannon inside the head. Unlike most mobile suits of the time, the Zeong has two cockpits, one in the chest and another in the head. However, a single Newtype pilot can fully operate the Zeong from its head which could detach from the body and act as an escape pod.
- Wired 5-barrel Mega Particle Gun
- The forearms of the MSN-02 Zeong can be detached and remotely maneuvered with thrusters built into their base. They are guided by wires and controlled by the Newtype pilot's thoughts via the psycommu system. Each of the Zeong's forearms are in essence powerful mega particle guns with five barrels each built into the fingers. The five barrels on both arms are fire-linked, so each time one of the arm weapons fire a total of five beams, ten if both mega particle guns fire. This large amount of beams, combined with the remote weapons' ability to create all-range attacks, produces a powerful spread of beams that is nearly impossible to avoid and can destroy multiple machines.
- Waist Mega Particle Gun
- There are two fire-linked mega particle guns mounted in the waist of the mobile suit.
- Head Mega Particle Gun
- Mounted in the head of the mobile suit is a mega particle gun. It can fire at least one shot while the head is detached, indicating that there is some sort of energy capacitor that holds a limited charge so that the Zeong's head can use attacks while retreating.
- Psycommu System
- During the One Year War, the researchers of the Flanagan Institute discover that Newtypes emit powerful thoughtwaves - similar to regular brainwaves, but not electrical in nature - which they call psycowaves. The Flanagan Institute goes on to develop a mind-machine interface called the psycommu (psycho-communicator) system, which receives these thoughtwaves and translates them into computer commands. Using this interface a Newtype pilot can direct remote weapons, and operate huge mobile armors, by thought alone.
- Detachable Head
- The head of the Zeong contains its cockpit and can detach from the main body to function as an escape pod. However, it can only operate for less than ten minutes once detached.
Developed to be the ultimate mobile suit, the Zeong was given the same name as the Principality of Zeon itself in order to boost morale.
During the Battle of A Baoa Qu, Char Aznable boarded the still incomplete Zeong at the suggestion of Kycilia Zabi, since his MS-14S Gelgoog Commander Type was damaged and all the other Gelgoogs at the fortress had already been deployed. Under Kycilia's order, the Zeong sortied with the 34th Mobile Suit Team to engage the Federation fleet in S field.
After sinking several Salamis-class cruisers, the Zeong engaged in a fierce battle with the RX-78-2 Gundam piloted by Amuro Ray. After a prolonged fight, the Gundam was able to destroy both of the Zeong's arms, while the Zeong was able to destroy the Gundam's left arm. With his main weapons gone, Char landed the Zeong on the fortress itself, and attempted to ambush the Gundam with its waist beam cannons. However, the Gundam dodged the beams and destroyed the Zeong's torso, only for Char to escape in the Zeong's head. The Zeong's head then fired its mouth beam cannon at the Gundam, destroying its head.
After the Zeong's torso was destroyed, its IFF signal was lost, causing Kycilia to believe that Char had died in battle. Amuro, piloting the now headless Gundam, chased the Zeong's head into A Baoa Qu. He set the Gundam to auto pilot and left it. The heavily damaged Gundam and the Zeong's head fired one last beam at each other, destroying one another. However, Char was able to escape just in time from a hatch on the back of the Zeong's head.
Notes and Trivia
- One notable trait about the Zeong is that it is one of only two mobile suits piloted by Char Aznable not painted red (the other being the MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki). It did however receive a red color scheme as an alternate palette in Gundam: The Battle Master/Battle Assault series of video games.
- In Gundam Vs Gundam Next Plus, the Zeong is unlockable. It has also special ability to revive itself once (only the head). The ability activates when the cost gauge is at 2000 or below and when Hp drops to zero/0.
- In Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, the Zeong can be used in atmospheric ground-level battlegrounds, something its incomplete state would not allow for. This is largely due to game mechanics as a result of removing the previous game's space-based levels while retaining the Zeong as a playable mobile suit.
- Mobile Suit Variation 1: Zaku, p.131