Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Hyaku Shiki (codename: "δ Gundam" (Delta Gundam) is a mobile suit built by Anaheim Electronics as part of the "Zeta Project". Originally designed as the MSN-001 Delta Gundam, it was intended to be a test unit for the transforming MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam by incorporating the "movable frame" technology found in the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II and back-pack wing binders for additional mobility, though defects in the frame design rendered it incapable of transforming to mobile armor mode.
As a result, the suit was redesigned into its current state, whereby it functions as a high performance MS. The Delta Gundam's transformation capabilities would later resurface in the MSN-001A1 Delta Plus. The Hyaku Shiki's gold colored appearance is due to the application of a beam-resistant coating on its armor, giving it some limited protection against beam attacks. The suit also has a unique sensor called the Image Directive Encode (IDE) system, which emits a red pattern when scanning or during precision aiming.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- On the sides of Hyaku Shiki's head are a pair of 60mm Vulcan Guns. These shell-firing weapons have a high rate of fire, but little power and are generally ineffective against mobile suits. However, they can damage lightly armored areas of an enemy suit such as sensors, and are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through any armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The Hyaku Shiki uses the same beam saber as the Rick Dias, and a pair of them are stored on the rear-waist armor, each power rated at 0.4 MW.
- BR-M-87 Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits, the beam rifle fires a particle beam that can penetrate almost any armor not treated with specific counter-measures. The Hyaku Shiki's beam rifle is an improved version of an older beam rifle developed during the One Year War, and its firepower is several times that of its predecessor. It has a power rating of 2.8 MW and is powered by the same rechargeable energy cap as used by the Rick Dias' beam pistol. The BR-M-87 beam rifle is also capable of emitting a beam saber from its barrel for close combat. The rifle has a retractable hook on top of the barrel for mounting onto Hyaku Shiki's backpack when not in use.
- AE/ZIM.C-BAZ-531 300mm Clay Bazooka
- The same weapon as used by Rick Dias, the Clay Bazooka was originally designed to fire adhesive rounds which immobilize enemy machines rather than destroying them outright. However, it could also be loaded with other types of ammunition, including conventional explosive round as well as pellet shot round. The Clay Bazooka has 1 round in its chamber with 7 more rounds in a reloadable magazine. A retractable hook is present on top of the bazooka's barrel for mounting onto Hyaku Shiki's backpack when not in use.
- FHA-03M1 Mega Bazooka Launcher
- The most powerful class of beam weapon used by mobile suits. The mega launcher is a large mega particle cannon with firepower exceeding that of a warship's guns, which draws its power from a built-in thermonuclear reactor. Though mega launchers are equipped with maneuvering verniers, their sheer bulk reduces the mobility of the mobile suits that carry them, and due to their high power requirements they must spend a considerable amount of time charging up prior to each shot. To speed up this recharging process, additional mobile suits can be connected to a mega launcher to serve as energy tanks.
- The same shield as used by the MSA-003 Nemo, it is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit, and is treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically, physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
Special Equipment & Features
- Beam-Resistant Coating
- A special coating applied to Hyaku Shiki's armor, it provides the suit with limited defense against ranged beam attacks. It is also the reason for the suit's gold-colored appearance.
- Ballute System
- An atmospheric entry device designed to be used by a Mobile Suit. As the mobile suit enters the atmosphere, a bowl-shaped ballute (balloon parachute) deploys to protect it from the friction heat of atmospheric entry. The balloon then detaches, leaving the mobile suit with chest and leg hover units which ease its descent to the ground. If the mobile suit reaches the ground without expending all the fuel in the leg units, these devices can also be used for hovering and high-speed strike missions. The equipment was designed and mass produced between the years UC 0083 and 0087 and is designed to be used by a multitude of different mobile suit models.
This mobile suit was initially assigned to Quattro Bajeena of the Anti Earth Union Group and remained in service until its abandonment during the end of the Gryps Conflict, following a confrontation between Quattro and Haman Karn and her AMX-004 Qubeley of Axis.
The Argama later received another Hyaku Shiki during the First Neo Zeon War, but it is unknown if it is a new unit or the original unit recovered and repaired. This unit was never assigned a permanent pilot, though Beecha Oleg usually serve as its recurring pilot. Following First Neo Zeon War, the unit was put into storage.
- MSR-00100 Hyaku Shiki Kai
- Hyaku Shiki Nils Nielsen Custom
- A customized Hyaku Shiki Gunpla built and operated by Nils Nielsen. This unit features a red and gold color scheme and retains all of the Hyaku Shiki's standard armaments.
Notes and Trivia
- The 'N' in the Hyaku Shiki's model number stands for Nagano, the surname of its real life and in-series designer.
- The Hyaku Shiki was one of mechanical designer Mamoru Nagano's Mobile Suit designs for Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. Illustrated during the planning phase of the series, the Hyaku Shiki was imagined as a design for the titular Gundam-type suit, one of several designs created by the large design team in charge of the series. Director Yoshiyuki Tomino rejected the Nagano design, citing that it wasn't streamlined for transforming, instead settling on the preliminary design by Kazumi Fujita. Tomino did, however, like the design, and it made its way into the series with some slight cleaning up. The in-series explanation for the Hyaku-Shiki is also true to life, down to the name of its designer - an Anaheim employee named Dr. M. Nagano.
- The Hyaku Shiki's design has some similar features to Nagano's other mechanical designs, such the tubing from the back of its thighs to its calves and the small wing binders on the back, similar to mechanical designs from Heavy Metal L-Gaim. Its gold color scheme is very similar, and may be a homage, to Poseidal's Original Auge from L-Gaim. Zander Cross from Doraemon: Nobita and the Steel Troops is also based on the Hyaku Shiki as well.
- Hyaku Shiki stands for 'Type 100' in Japanese (Japanese Kanji character "百式"); this is explained in-series as the designer hoping to create a mobile suit design that would endure for a hundred years.
- The Master Grade Ver.2.0 kit's leg joints are designed in a way that the unit can do a partial transformation into Wave Rider mode.
- The ORB-01 Akatsuki Gundam from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny is likely a homage to the Hyaku Shiki.
- A red version of Hyaku Shiki appears in the game Sunrise Heroes 2 along with much of the plot and mobile suits from Zeta Gundam. Damashii Nations released a figure of this dubbed Hyaku Shiki Char Aznable Colors.
- In Super Robot Wars and SD Gundam G Generation series until Overworld, Hyaku Shiki doesn't have the anti beam coating ability. In G Generation Overworld, the Hyaku Shiki does have the Anti-Beam Coating; however it only negates 30% of beam damage.
- An exception in SRW would be A Portable which has it as a full upgrade bonus.
- Italian Gunpla modeler Lemcat replicated this build and called it the "Hyaku Shiki Stark" as a tribute to the Marvel superhero Iron Man.