Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Hyaku Shiki is a mobile suit built by Anaheim Electronics as part of the "Zeta Project". It was originally designed as the prototype transformable mobile suit, MSN-001 Delta Gundam which incorporated Anaheim Electronics' own "movable frame" technology and backpack-mounted wing binders for additional mobility. However, defects in the frame design led to problems in its transformation and the machine's development was soon abandoned.
When the AEUG captured the Titans' RX-178 Gundam Mk-II, the movable frame technology of this newly acquired mobile suit assisted greatly in the advancement of the Zeta Project and also led to the redesigning of the Delta Gundam into the high performance, non-transformable Hyaku Shiki. Hyaku Shiki, which means 'Type 100' in Japanese, is named as such by its lead developer, Professor M.Nagano who hoped to create a mobile suit design that would endure for a hundred years. Because of the reliability of each device and its ease of access to the interior, the Hyaku Shiki has also been given a role as a testbed for operational testing of various equipment under development.
The Hyaku Shiki's gold colored appearance is due to the application of a beam-resistant coating on its armor, giving it some limited protection against beam attacks. The suit also has a unique sensor called the Image Directive Encode (IDE) system, which emits a red pattern when scanning or during precision aiming. It also retains several design features from the original Delta Gundam design, most notably the legs' front armor and backpack-mounted wing binders. The Delta Gundam's transformation capabilities later resurface in the MSN-001A1 Delta Plus.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing weapon built into the head. Though not powerful, its high rate of fire meant it was employed to intercept incoming missiles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through any armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The Hyaku Shiki uses the same beam saber as the Rick Dias, and a pair of them are stored on the rear waist armor, each power rated at 0.4 MW.
- BR-M-87 Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many mobile suits, the beam rifle fires a particle beam that can penetrate most armor not treated with specific counter-measures. The Hyaku Shiki's beam rifle is an improved version of an older beam rifle developed during the One Year War, and its firepower is several times that of its predecessor. Power rated at 2.8 MW, it is powered by a replaceable e-pac similar in design to the one used by Rick Dias' beam pistol. The BR-M-87 beam rifle is also capable of emitting a beam saber from its barrel for close combat. It has a retractable hook on top of the barrel for mounting onto Hyaku Shiki's backpack when not in use.
- AE/ZIM.C-BAZ-531 300mm Clay Bazooka
- The same weapon as used by Rick Dias, the Clay Bazooka was originally designed to fire adhesive rounds which immobilize enemy machines rather than destroying them outright. However, it could also be loaded with other types of ammunition, including conventional explosive round as well as pellet shot round. The Clay Bazooka has 1 round in its chamber with 7 more rounds in a reloadable magazine. A retractable hook is present on top of the bazooka's barrel for mounting onto Hyaku Shiki's backpack when not in use.
- FHA-03M1 Mega Bazooka Launcher
- The most powerful class of beam weapon used by mobile suits. The mega launcher is a large mega particle cannon with firepower exceeding that of a warship's guns, which draws its power from a built-in thermonuclear reactor. Though mega launchers are equipped with maneuvering verniers, their sheer bulk reduces the mobility of the mobile suits that carry them, and due to their high power requirements they must spend a considerable amount of time charging up prior to each shot. To speed up this recharging process, additional mobile suits can be connected to a mega launcher to serve as energy tanks.
- Shield (Nemo's)
- A piece of equipment that increases the Hyaku Shiki's defensive capability, it could be mounted on the left forearm. It can switch between an expanded state and a collapsed state for ease of use, and like other shields, its surface has an anti-beam coating to defend against beam attacks. Other features of the shield include sharp edges at the top for ramming/striking attacks and latches on the back for mounting other weapons or equipment.
- Shield (Hizack's)
- The same forearm-mounted shield as used by the Hizack.
Special Equipment & Features
- IDE System
- A visor type sensor mounted on the head, its name is an abbreviation for "Image Directive Encode System". Unique scanning patterns are displayed on the visor during precision aiming and other situations. The visor also contains a set of dual camera eyes, which light up depending on the situations.
- Beam-Resistant Coating
- A special coating applied to Hyaku Shiki's armor, it provides limited defense against ranged beam attacks. It is also the reason for the suit's gold-colored appearance.
- Sealant Launchers
- This device sprays a sticky sealant, similar to the wall film used to mend breaches in warship hulls. This substance can be used to seal ruptures in spacecraft and space colony exteriors. By the time of the Gryps Conflict most mobile suits have sealant launchers built into the fingers of their manipulators, as well as utility devices like signal flares, dummy dispensers, and fire extinguishers.
- Ballute System
- An atmospheric entry device designed to be used by a multitude of different mobile suit models. As the mobile suit enters the atmosphere, a bowl-shaped ballute (balloon parachute) deploys to protect it from the friction heat of atmospheric entry. The balloon then detaches, leaving the mobile suit with chest and leg hover units which ease its descent to the ground. If the mobile suit reaches the ground without expending all the fuel in the leg units, these devices can also be used for hovering and high-speed strike missions.
The Hyaku Shiki was assigned to Quattro Bajeena of the Anti Earth Union Group and remained in service until its abandonment during the end of the Gryps Conflict, following a confrontation between Quattro and Haman Karn and her AMX-004 Qubeley of Axis. The unit's remains were seen floating aimlessly in space following the end of the conflict.
The Argama later received another Hyaku Shiki during the First Neo Zeon War, but it is unknown if it was a new unit or the original unit recovered and repaired. This unit was never assigned a permanent pilot, though Beecha Oleg usually served as its recurring pilot. Following First Neo Zeon War, the unit was retired and put into storage.
- MSR-00100 Hyaku Shiki Kai
- Hyaku Shiki Nils Nielsen Custom
- A customized Hyaku Shiki Gunpla built and operated by Nils Nielsen. This unit features a red and gold color scheme and retains all of the Hyaku Shiki's standard armaments.
Notes and Trivia
- The 'N' in the Hyaku Shiki's model number stands for Nagano, the surname of its real life and in-series designer.
- The Hyaku Shiki was one of mechanical designer Mamoru Nagano's Mobile Suit designs for Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. Illustrated during the planning phase of the series, the Hyaku Shiki was imagined as a design for the titular Gundam-type suit, one of several designs created by the large design team in charge of the series. Director Yoshiyuki Tomino rejected the Nagano design, citing that it wasn't streamlined for transforming, instead settling on the preliminary design by Kazumi Fujita. Tomino did, however, like the design, and it made its way into the series with some slight cleaning up. The in-series explanation for the Hyaku-Shiki is also true to life, down to the name of its designer - an Anaheim employee named Dr. M. Nagano.
- The Hyaku Shiki's design has some similar features to Nagano's other mechanical designs, such the tubing from the back of its thighs to its calves and the small wing binders on the back, similar to mechanical designs from Heavy Metal L-Gaim. Its gold color scheme is very similar, and may be a homage, to Poseidal's Original Auge from L-Gaim. Zander Cross from Doraemon: Nobita and the Steel Troops is also based on the Hyaku Shiki as well.
- The Master Grade Ver.2.0 kit's leg joints are designed in a way that the unit can do a partial transformation into Wave Rider mode.
- The ORB-01 Akatsuki Gundam from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny is likely a homage to the Hyaku Shiki.
- A red version of Hyaku Shiki has appeared at times in various external media, such as the games Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam and Sunrise Heroes 2. Damashii Nations released a figure of this dubbed Hyaku Shiki Char Aznable Colors.
- In Super Robot Wars and SD Gundam G Generation series until Overworld, Hyaku Shiki doesn't have the anti beam coating ability. In G Generation Overworld, the Hyaku Shiki does have the Anti-Beam Coating; however it only negates 30% of beam damage.
- An exception in SRW would be A Portable which has it as a full upgrade bonus.