The MSM-08 Zogok is a prototype amphibious mobile suit from the original design series MSV and made its animated debut in Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ. It later appeared in the OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Zogok is a prototype amphibious mobile suit with improved melee capabilities that was developed during the One Year War. A variant of the MSM-07 Z'Gok, the Zogok was one of the special operations "Ag series" mobile suits created by the engineers at California Base for Zeon's invasion of the Earth Federation Force's underground military headquarters of Jaburo. It was meant to work alongside the other mobile suits of the series, such as the MSM-04G Juaggu, and its role was that of the vanguard.
Unlike the Z'Gok, the Zogok is not equipped with any firearms like mega particle cannons; instead, it has unique melee weaponry such as arm punches using its extendable arms, launchable boomerang cutters from the top of its head, etc. These weapons were also selected so as to minimize the emission of light and heat, lowering the chances of being detected during the infiltration into the heavily guarded Jaburo. Although an amphibious unit, the Zogok's combat capabilities are primarily meant for ground battles.
The Zogok's aquatic ability is limited to travelling underwater using the propulsion units in the sole of its feet. Its backpack has no function underwater and was designed with maximum ground performance in mind. Like many other Zeon's amphibious mobile suits, the Zogok has no independent head unit to reduce underwater resistance. The functions of such a head unit were integrated into the chest. The large mono-eye camera in the center of the chest has a wide range of motion, and the transparent cover protecting it has fairly high durability.
- Boomerang Cutter
- Ten boomerang-shaped blades are mounted in the top of Zogok's head. The blades are launched at high-velocity to serve as a mid-range weapon. The power of these weapons is sufficient to moderately damage the armor of mobile suits that are 10 years newer.
- Arm Punch
- The Zogok's characteristic extendable arms can serve as a close combat weapon, delivering a punch that could crush through most armor with its sheer power. The manipulators are designed to be perfect for punching, but they can also carry weapons like normal manipulators.
- Wide Cutter
- The Zogok is equipped with ten wide cutters on the abdomen. The Zogok deployed by the Zeon remnants in U.C. 0096 has omitted this equipment, installing a large exhaust duct in its place to improve the Zogok's cooling functions.
- Heat Sword
- A melee weapon originally developed for the Gouf line of mobile suits. Like the Zaku's heat tomahawk, the heat sword's blade is heated to high temperatures to increase its cutting capacity.
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. It is commonly used by Zeon mobile suits in the late stages of the One Year War. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon. The Zogok deployed by the Zeon remnants in U.C. 0096 has an added mount latch on the back of its waist for carrying up to two Sturm Fausts.
- BR-87A Beam Rifle
- The same beam rifle used by the RMS-106 Hizack and RMS-108 Marasai, it is powered by a replaceable e-pac and is power rated at 2.2 MW.
The few Zogoks that were constructed at California Base did not participate in the assault on Jaburo because Zeon Commander Char Aznable discovered a secret entrance to the subterranean base and launched the attack much earlier than originally planned. After the One Year War ended, a few Zogoks eventually wound up in the hands of civilians, and can be seen in the series Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ.
During U.C. 0096, one modified Zogok was used by the Zeon remnants during the assault of Torrington Base. This unit was heavily damaged in battle by the RX-160S Byarlant Custom, it retreated after a AMS-129M Zee Zulu took its heat sword to combat the Byarlant Custom.
Notes and Trivia