Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Z'Gok's success came from what it learned from the MSM-03 Gogg's and MSM-04 Acguy's errors. It was very agile and fast in and out of water. MIP also replaced the bulky ballast water tanks used by the Gogg and Acguy for cooling off the mobile suit for out of water operations with an air cooling fan system. Notably, the weapon layouts were improved.
Each of the Z'Gok's hands featured built-in mega particle cannons for easier and more precise aiming. Each hand also had three claws which could be used to penetrate enemy mobile suits or to smash things as well. The Z'Gok also had six 240mm missile launchers in its head with five rounds. Overall, the Z'Gok is considered the most successful amphibious mobile suit line produced by the Principality of Zeon during the One Year War.
- 240mm Missile Launcher
- The Z'Gok has six 240mm missile launchers (30 rounds) in the top of its head. These missiles can only be fired in relation to the vertical alignment of the torso. The missiles can be fired underwater but they have low resistance to hydrostatic pressure. They are mainly used after surfacing or landing on the shore, as well as for anti-aircraft purposes.
- Mega Particle Cannon
- As with Zeon's previous amphibious mobile suits, the Z'Gok has a pair of mega particle cannons powered directly by the mobile suit's reactor. The Z'Gok's mega particle cannons are mounted in the palm of its hands. They have high beam focusing capability and an output of 3.2 MW.
- Iron Nail
- Mounted on the ends of the flexible arms, they are primarily used as close-combat weapons. Taking advantage of the Z'Gok's high mobility, it can punch through the torso of an RGM-79 GM in a single blow.
With the success of the MSM-03 Gogg and the MSM-04 Acguy, the MIP Company rolled out their own mass production amphibious mobile suit for the Principality of Zeon's Earthside forces. This line of amphibious mobile suit, known as the MSM-07 Z'Gok, became the most successful line used by the Zeon forces during the One Year War. The Z'Gok was manufactured at the California Base on the same production lines as the Gogg.
The Z'Gok's most famous exploit was the Principality of Zeon's attack on the Earth Federation Forces headquarters at Jaburo. On November 30, U.C. 0079, the Principality of Zeon launched a surprise attack on the Earth Federation's underground fortress. One of Zeon's primary attack groups was formed by multiple Z'Goks, as well as a few other amphibious mobile suits, led by Char Aznable in his MSM-07S Z'Gok Commander Type (an improved Z'Gok version with better power output, high mobility, and lighter armor materials). This attack force bypassed Jaburo's defenses using a previously unknown secret underwater entrance. However, the attack was a failure as Zeon was unprepared for the Earth Federation's new battalions of mobile suits that had just been brought off the assembly line. After the battle, some of the suits were simply left where they lay, remaining in the caves of Jaburo for thousands of years.
While initially produced as a commander machine, the Z'Gok Commander Type was soon mass-produced to replace the standard Z'Gok. Other notable mobile suits developed by the Principality of Zeon based on the Z'Gok include the MSM-07E Z'Gok-E, which was simply the Z'Gok remodeled to have superior performance, and the MS-13 Gasshia, which sacrificed the Z'Gok's amphibious capabilities for improved ground assault abilities.
Even after the One Year War, several Z'Goks, sporting a new dark green color scheme, were used by Zeon remnants in UC 0096 during their attack on Torrington Base. One of these units was destroyed by a RX-160S Byarlant Custom.
Notes and Trivia
- The Green Siren marking is applied to the mobile suits of the "Green Siren" submarine fleet which patrolled the southern Atlantic Ocean. Although most of the fleets used the MSM-03 Gogg, this emblem was standardized on the Z'Gok.
- The Z'Gok's design was inspired from Alien Zarab from Ultraman. Of course, Tsuburaya Prod. (the company that was responsible for Ultraman) would return the favor with two monsters in Ultraman Gaia themed after two mobile suits: Apatee, based on MS-06 Zaku II and Gan Q, based on MSM-04 Acguy.