Technology & Combat Characteristics
As the One Year War dragged on the Principality of Zeon began to design several different variations of its standard mobile suits to excel in specific mission roles. The Zimmad Company created its first amphibious mobile suit, the MSM-02 Hydro Test Type. It adopts the generator used in the MS-09B Dom and employs a water-cooling system that utilizes seawater. The Hydro Test Type is based on Zeonic Company's MSM-01 Zaku Marine Type and just like it the Hydro Test Type carried weaponry better adapted for aquatic combat, such as several missile launchers and vulcan guns. When the Hydro Test Type equipment is improved its underwater mobility increases 10-20%.
- 6-tube Missile Launcher
- A 6-tube missile launcher is mounted at the top of each shoulder, and can only be fired while moving horizontally.
- Anti-Air/Anti-Ship missile
- Four ant-air/anti-ship missile are mounted on the backpack. They fire directly upwards when the mobile suit is moving underwater horizontally, striking anything on the surface of the water or in the air overhead.
- 6-barrel Vulcan Gun
- A 6-barrel vulcan gun unit is mounted on each forearm.
- 70mm Vulcan Pod
- A retractable vulcan pod is mounted on each side of the backpack. When extended they fire over the mobile suit's shoulders and are designed to be used while standing.
The MSM-02 Hydro Test Type's may be Zimmad's first amphibious mobile suit, but it fails to meet the requirements for an underwater combat suit and its performance on land is also poor.