Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Tieren Taozi has its roots in the Human Reform League (HRL) top secret Super Soldier Program. In order to make full use of their abilities, it was decided that a specialized unit was needed. The Tieren Taozi is a mobile suit of the Tieren line of machines, but has vast improvements in terms of versatility and capability. Unlike previous models of the Tieren series, which were all designed for specific combat purpose in specific terrain, the Tieren Taozi is capable of functioning at full capacity both in space and on Earth. Custom-crafted from the ground up to best express the physical and cognitive enhancements of the super-soldier Soma Peries, the Taozi is a highly-maneuverable general-purpose mobile suit that performs with comparable superiority to standard-model Tieren variants in any terrain.
In space, the Taozi is capable of greater acceleration and maneuverability than the standard MSJ-06II-E Tieren Space Type. Like the Tieren Space Type, the Taozi's propellant tank stores water, however, it only has one such tank instead of the Space Type's two and it is mounted on the rear waist instead of on the legs. Primary propulsion is supplied from the back of the lower legs, with selective activation of the thrusters on its movable shoulder-mounted shield for directional guidance. Fine control is permitted with an additional six thrusters. On Earth, the Taozi is capable of hovering and maneuvering like the MSJ-06II-C/B Tieren High Mobility Type B. The Taozi uses the same weapon as the Tieren Space Type, consisting of an arm-mounted smoothbore gun and chest-mounted machine gun, and can also use a carbon blade like the Tieren Ground Type.
The cockpit is designed with state of the art technology to match a Super Soldier's capability. In addition to an enhanced head camera along the top of its head, the unit is also installed with an acutely responsive sensor system and an on-board processor capable of keeping up with the dramatically increased data load. Unlike other Tierens, the Taozi's cockpit uses a panaromic graphical display that shows all the sensor display of the machine. With this, it is possible to accurately maneuver the mobile suit faster.
It was originally planned that some of the advancement of the Tieren Taozi could be applied to other models. However, due to the large size of the panaromic display, the information processing system as well as the unsuitability of the system with general pilots, further developments were required before they could be implemented. After the existence of the Super Soldier project was revealed to the public, all further development of the Tieren Taozi were discontinued. As such, it is unlikely that any new variants of it will be produced.
- 200mm x 25 Caliber Smoothbore Gun (Space Type)
- The main weapon of the Tieren Taozi and identical to the one used by the Tieren Space Type. Mounted on the right forearm, it rapid-fires 200mm live rounds and can use various types of ammunitions to adapt to a wide range of operations. Two heat sinks are attached to the gun's barrel and can function as blades since they are made of super-hard carbon.
- 30mm Machine Gun
- Like the standard Tieren Space Type, Tieren Taozi has a machine gun built into the left chest that fires live rounds. Despite having a low attack power due to its small caliber, its rapid fire capability means that it is suitable for anti-personal, anti-air purpose and the likes. Additionally, although it cannot damage enemy units during mobile suit combat, it can still restrict enemy's movements. While not the Tieren's main weapon, its wide range of applications makes it one of the factors that contributed to the suit's high versatility.
- Carbon Blade
- An optional armament for the Tieren Taozi, it is the same close combat weapon as used by the Tieren Ground Type. The carbon blade is katar-like, with a trapezoidal-shaped blade that parallels the grip. It is made of super-hard carbon, and can be stored on the back of the waist when not in use. The weapon takes advantage of the Tieren's power and heavy weight to smash/shatter the target, rather than cut/slice it. Even if the carbon blade is blocked by the opponent’s shield, the blow can still be used to completely throw the opponent off balance
For more information on the Tieren Taozi's history, please go to Soma Peries's page.
Notes & Trivia
- The term Taozi (Chinese: 桃子) means "peach" in Chinese — a fruit that signifies longevity in Chinese folklore, traditionally depicted in pink.
- The "SP" on the end of MSJ-06II-SP Tieren Taozi are the initials of its pilot, Soma Peries.
- Allelujah Haptism dubbed the Tieren Taozi as the Tieren High Mobility Super Soldier Use Type.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 High Grade 1/144 MSJ-06II-SP Tieren Taozi model kit manual