The MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III is a prototype mobile suit first featured in the original design series Zeta Gundam Mobile Suit Variations (Z-MSV). The "Gundam Mk-III" also refers to three separate machines created by the AEUG, the Earth Federation Forces, and Titans.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
After the AEUG successfully stole the Titans' RX-178 Gundam Mk-II, two of the stolen units were sent to Anaheim Electronics for analysis, reverse engineering, and duplication of their technology . Engineers found that the Mk-II was a return to the concept of a "Humanoid weapon as an enhanced space suits", the same concept behind the earliest MS. It was also known that the Mk-II suffered from high structural complexity and low frame strength, problems specific to the EFF's technology.
A group of technical experts created the Gundam Mk-III, addressing the issues found on the Mk-II. It featured an improved, simplified version of the Mk-II's complex movable frame, reducing its vulnerability. It was then thoroughly examined and brought back to the planned strength while not compromising previous improvements. The Gundam MK-III has a pair of wing binders which mount several thrusters to increase speed and mobility. It also has lighter Gundarium alloy used in the construction of its frame and armor. Furthermore, considerable improvements were made to bring back organic movements to the joints, similar to those of the human body.
In term of offensive capability, it has two back-mounted beam cannons, a beam rifle, and a shield that stores two beam sabers. It is possible to apply Anti-Beam Coating to the MS, as shown with one of the units produced by Anaheim. Because of the coating, Unit 8 has a vivid red color, the same color as the AEUG's RMS-099 Rick Dias. It was also said that the unit was intended to be Quattro Bajeena's personal unit.
- Beam Cannon
- A pair of beam cannons are mounted on the backpack and they can rotate forward when needed. Powered by large E-cap in the backpack. They can also function as beam sabers.
- Beam Rifle
- A common beam firearm is the beam rifle. This particular model has an experimental dual supply system capable of using the e-pacs from the beam rifles of the MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki and RX-178 Gundam Mk-II. The e-pac from the Hyaku Shiki's beam rifle is mounted at the rear, while the one from Gundam Mk-II's beam rifle is mounted at the bottom, in front of the handle. By utilizing a beam drive mechanism that combines the two types of mega particle capacitors, usage such as depleting all the energy in a single shot can be realized.
- A type of defensive armament used by many mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. It is also treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically, physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. The back of Gundam Mk-III's custom shield can store four spare e-pacs for the beam rifle, two of each type.
- Beam Saber
- Stored on the shield are two beam sabers. This combination allows the Gundam Mk-III to quickly switch between defense and close quarter combat.
The Mk-III's development team at Anaheim, led by Doctor Fujita, intended for the machine to become the "rough draft" of a new generation of MS. The Mk-III took inspiration from the Mk-II, and was also designed to surpass it. Thanks to its improvements in maneuverability and defensive capabilities over the Mk-II, the Mk-III was considered the latest evolution of general-purpose MS at the time. Several Mk-III were produced by Anaheim, and final adjustment was made to improve its frame.
After Quattro Bajeena's speech to the Federation Assembly in Dakar, it was anticipated that the Titans would double down on their war effort. It was decided that Unit 8 would be flown from Granada to Side 2 and transferred to AEUG's Collier Fleet. However, the transportation team encountered and engaged an Axis Zeon force reconnaissance team. As the escort team took heavy casualties, Lieutenant Junior Grade Boyd Swan, leader and sole survivor of the AEUG mobile suit team, boarded the Gundam Mk-III and engaged the Axis forces. Though he was victorious, Unit 8 was heavily damaged in battle and had to be sent back to Granada.
Two other Gundams with similar names, but of different designs also existed: the RX-166 Gundam MK-III "Eagley" (Earth Federation Forces' unit) and the transformable RX-272-2 Gundam MK-III "Halpuley" (Titans' unit).
Notes and Trivia
- The "F" in the model number stands for "Fujita".
- The first source that mentioned Gundam Mk-III's beam cannons also functioning as beam sabers was the Great Mechanics: Z Plan & Anaheim Electronics mobile suits data book released in 2013, and this feature was subsequently included in the 2021 P-Bandai High Grade Universal Century Gundam Mk-III model.
- In Super Robot Wars R and Super Robot Wars D, the Gundam Mk-III's beam cannons were mounted on its shield. This is unlike its first appearance in Super Robot Wars 64, where they were fired from its shoulders.
- The P-Bandai HGUC kit includes two beam rifle, one that resembles the Prototype Z Gundam's and another one that comes from the IRON HEART manga.
- Total Commentary Gundam Encyclopedia Ver.1.5, page 252
- Great Mechanics - Z Plan & Anaheim Electronics, p.56
|Gundam Mk-II's variation|
FA-178 Full Armor Gundam Mk-II
MSA-004 Nemo II | MSA-004K Nemo III
MSA-005K Guncannon Detector | MSA-005S Methuss Kai
|Rick Dias's variation|
MSA-099-2 Rick Dias II
|Hyaku Shiki's variations|
MSR-00100 Hyaku Shiki Kai | MSR-00100S Hyaku Shiki Kai Mass Production Type
|Z Gundam's variations|
MSZ-006-X Prototype Ζ Gundam | MSZ-007 Mass Production Type Ζ Gundam | MSZ-008 ZII
SE-DJ-1R Dijeh SE-R
MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III
|Anaheim Laboratory Log Mechanics|
MSA-005X-1 Methuss X-1 | MSA-005X-2 Methuss X-2 | MSA-005X-3 Methuss X-3 | MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III | RGM-79C GM Type C | RGM-79N GM Custom | RMS-179 GM II
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
FXA-08R-X1 Proto Mega Rider
RGM-79SP GM Sniper II | RX-80PR-4 Pale Rider DII
MS-09RSS Dowas Custom | MS-14J ReGelgu | MS-17 Galbaldy α | MS-17R Galbaldy α High Mobility Type | MS-21D1 Dra-C Custom