The Gelgoog Marine Commander Type is a commander variant of the MS-14F Gelgoog Marine. It first appeared in Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory and reappears in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A commander's version of the Gelgoog Marine with enhanced performance. It sports a commander's antenna, a pair of head-mounted Vulcan guns, additional thrusters and external propellant tanks, and modified chest armor. It is also lighter in weight and has extended operating time due to the changes made. With its high performance and a long-range beam rifle as part of its standard armaments, the Gelgoog Marine Commander Type can operate as a sniper unit among other roles.
During the ending stages of the One Year War, the Gelgoog Marine Commander Type piloted by Lieutenant Colonel Cima Garahau was covered in camouflage pattern. This camouflage scheme features numerous small dots, making it difficult to grasp the mobile suit's shape on monitors, while the paint used has the ability to deceive various detection equipment.
- 40mm Vulcan Gun
- An uncommon feature on Zeon MS, the Gelgoog Marine Commander Type has two Vulcan guns in its head similar to Federation Mobile Suits. These shell firing weapons have a high rate of fire but little power, and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- 110mm Machine Cannon
- A 110mm machine cannon is mounted on each forearm, for a total of two cannons. These projectile firing weapons are highly effective against most mobile suit armor at close range.
- Beam Saber
- Unlike most Gelgoogs made during the One Year War, the MS-14Fs is not equipped with a beam naginata for close combat, it instead stores two regular beam sabers in the sides of the waist.
- MNG-110 Beam Rifle
- A large beam rifle specially designed for long-range attack, it features a powerful, re-loadable cooling system which enables it to emit rapid-fire beam bursts.
- A large shield with a viewing window. It has a built-in chaff flare dispenser for distraction.
- MMP-R00-D Electromagnetic Induction Projection Rifle
- Developed by MS firearm manufacturer MMP near the end of the One Year War at Zeon's Granada base, this experimental rail rifle utilizes electromagnetic force to launch high velocity luna titanium bullets to inflict heavy damage. This handheld weapon only appears in the Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Rebellion manga.
Special Equipment & Features
- External Propellant Tank
- An external tank used for propellant storage. This extra propellant greatly extends a mobile suit's operating range and enables it to stay in combat longer. When the propellant is consumed, the tank can be discarded to reduce the mobile suit's weight. These tanks use a two-layered construction, with one layer containing propellant, and the other holding extra coolant.
Only a handful of Gelgoog Marine Commander Type units were produced, with at least one assigned to the Cima Garahau's Fleet. Cima's Gelgoog Marine Commander Type was known to be covered in camouflage pattern as her fleet retreated from A Baoa Qu at the end of One Year War.
During Operation Stardust in U.C. 0083, Cima used her Gelgoog Marine Commander Type before switching to the AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra. In the Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Rebellion manga, Cima's Gelgoog Marine Commander Type was subsequently passed onto fellow Cima Fleet's MS pilot Clara Lodge.
Notes and Trivia
- The Gelgoog Marine Commander Type unit depicted in Gundam 0083 is Cima Garahau's personal colors. The standard colors unit as seen in the game Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space and Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed features the same colors as the Gelgoog Marine.
- In Mayfly of Space, Cima referred to her Gelgoog Marine Commander Type as "Marine Leiter" (マリーネ・ライター), German for "Marine Leader".
- Despite being solid shells, the machine cannon rounds of Cima's unit were animated like beam shots in the scene where they impacted the GP01.
- The camouflage pattern seen in Mayfly of Space resembles erbsenmuster, which was issued to the Waffen-SS during World War II.