Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Gelgoog Marine is a late variant of Zeon's final mass-produced mobile suit, the MS-14A Gelgoog. As its name implies, it was developed exclusively for Zeon's marine corps, who carried out a variety of special missions in space during the One Year War. With its stronger armor, improved vernier thrusters, and external propellant tanks, the Gelgoog Marine boasts performance far surpassing that of the standard Gelgoog.
During the ending stages of the One Year War, the Gelgoog Marine units under Lieutenant Colonel Cima Garahau's command were covered in camouflage pattern. This camouflage scheme features numerous small dots, making it difficult to grasp the mobile suit's shape on monitors, while the paint used has the ability to deceive various detection equipment.
- 110mm Machine Cannon
- One of the new features of the Gelgoog Marine are a pair of 110mm machine cannons mounted in the forearms, one cannon per arm. These projectile firing weapons are highly effective against most mobile suit armor at close range.
- Beam Saber
- Unlike most Gelgoogs made during the One Year War, the MS-14F is not equipped with a beam naginata for close combat, it instead stores two regular beam sabers in the sides of the waist.
- Knuckle Shield
- The knuckle shield is a modified Zaku II shoulder shield carried on the arm, with the curve of the armor fitting over the mobile suit's hand. One of the modifications is the additions of three spikes placed on the plate that rests in front of the hand. These spikes make the knuckle shield an effective bashing weapon.
- MMP-80 90mm Machine Gun
- A small caliber machine gun for mobile suits developed under the United Maintenance Plan. The overall shape and mechanism of the Zaku Machine Gun, which was previously deployed, has been changed. The magazine has been changed from a drum magazine to a box magazine, and a 197mm grenade launcher is available as an option. The caliber has been reduced to 90mm, but as a result, the hit rate has improved, and the 90mm shell used is also excellent in initial velocity and anti-MS firepower. The number of bullets loaded is 32 in the standard single magazine and 100 in the triple magazine. The late production model features a different barrel and hand guard, resulting in a more compact shape.
- MMP-78 Machine Gun
- A new model machine gun with enhanced firepower to combat Federation Forces MS. Early type and late type models exist, with differences in the location and mounting of the grip on the latter. In addition to the regular machine gun bullets fed from the drum magazine, the MMP-78 is also capable of firing anti-aircraft rounds being fed from a smaller, box-type magazine. The MMP-78 is also integrated with a grenade launcher under its barrel for additional firepower. "MMP" is an abbreviation for "Mobile Suit Machine Pistol".
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. It is commonly used by Zeon mobile suits in the late stages of the One Year War. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon. Due to its excellent cost performance, the Sturm Faust is still in use even after the war.
- Beam Rifle
- The same portable beam firearm as used by the MS-14A Gelgoog, it incorporated the Federation's technical data on energy CAP technology that Zeon obtained via Side 6. The beam rifle's performance is comparable to that of the RX-78-2 Gundam's, and boasts high targeting capabilities thanks to its high-performance sensor. Used by units seen in Gundam Evolve.
- MNG-110 Beam Rifle
- A large beam rifle specially designed for long range attack, it features a powerful, re-loadable cooling system which enables it to emit rapid-fire beam bursts.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka II
- A weapon from the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II. A redesigned version of Dom series' 360mm Giant Bazooka, with improved shape charges and firepower. Fed by a 5-round magazine, it is effective in both anti-ship and anti-MS combat, with a single round blowing off a MS' torso easily.
- As an alternative to the Knuckle Shield, the Gelgoog Marine can also use a large shield similar to one used by the Gelgoog Marine Commander Type.
Special Equipment & Features
- External Propellant Tank
- An external tank used for propellant storage. This extra propellant greatly extends a mobile suit's operating range, and enables it to stay in combat longer. When the propellant is consumed, the tank can be discarded to reduce the mobile suit's weight. These tanks use a two-layered construction, with one layer containing propellant, and the other holding extra coolant.
Since it was produced at the end of the war, the Gelgoog Marine didn't see much combat. The Gelgoog Marine units led by Lieutenant Colonel Cima Garahau were known to be covered in camouflage pattern as they retreated from A Baoa Qu at the end of One Year War.
In U.C.0083, roughly 30 of them participated in the Delaz Fleet's Operation Stardust as part of the renegade Cima Fleet. Others were captured by the Earth Federation and used as aggressor units for rookie pilots.
Notes and Trivia
- The camouflage pattern seen in Mayfly of Space resembles erbsenmuster, which was issued to the Waffen-SS during World War II.