Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Gelgoog Marine is a late variant of Zeon's final mass-produced mobile suit, the MS-14A Gelgoog. As its name implies, it was developed exclusively for Zeon's marine corps, who carried out a variety of special missions during the One Year War. With its stronger armor, improved vernier thrusters, and external propellant tanks, the Gelgoog Marine boasts performance far surpassing that of the standard Gelgoog.
- 110mm Machine Cannon
- One of the new features of the Gelgoog Marine are a pair of 110mm machine cannons mounted in the forearms, one cannon per arm. These projectile firing weapons are highly effective against most mobile suit armor at close range.
- Beam Saber
- Unlike most Gelgoogs made during the One Year War, the Gelgoog Marine is equipped with two beam sabers (instead of the twin beam sword) for close combat. The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when deployed and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade. The beam saber can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating.
- Knuckle Shield
- The knuckle shield is a modified Zaku II shoulder shield carried on the arm, with the curve of the armor fitting over the mobile suit's hand. One of the modifications is the additions of three spikes placed on the plate that rests in front of the hand. These spikes make the knuckle shield an effective bashing weapon.
- MMP-80/90mm Ver.8 Machine Gun
- An alternative to the 120mm Machine Gun. It used 90mm bullets instead of 120mm type, allowing for a greater firing speed and better penetration capabilities. The machine gun is magazine-fed with 32 rounds per mag.
- MMP-78 Machine Gun
- A new model machine gun with enhanced firepower to combat Federation Forces MS. Early type and late type models exist, with differences in the location and mounting of the grip on the latter. In addition to the regular machine gun bullets fed from the drum magazine, the MMP-78 is also capable of firing anti-aircraft rounds being fed from a smaller, box-type magazine. The MMP-78 is also integrated with a grenade launcher under its barrel for additional firepower. "MMP" is an abbreviation for "Mobile Suit Machine Pistol".
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. It is commonly used by Zeon mobile suits in the late stages of the One Year War. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon. Due to its excellent cost performance, the Sturm Faust is still in use even after the war.
- Beam Rifle
- A weapon from the MS-14A Gelgoog, the beam rifle fires compressed mega particles in the form of a beam which has the power to penetrate all but specially treated materials.
- MNG-110 Beam Rifle
- A large beam rifle specially designed for long range attack, it features a powerful, re-loadable cooling system which enables it to emit rapid-fire beam bursts.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka II
- A weapon from the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II. A redesigned version of Dom series' 360mm Giant Bazooka, with improved shape charges and firepower. Fed by a 5-round magazine, it is effective in both anti-ship and anti-MS combat, with a single round blowing off a MS' torso easily.
- As an alternative to the Knuckle Shield, the Gelgoog Marine can also use a large shield similar to one used by the Gelgoog Marine Commander Type.
Special Equipment & Features
- External Propellant Tanks
- An external tank used for propellant storage. This extra propellant greatly extends a mobile suit's operating range, and enables it to stay in combat longer. When the propellant is consumed, the tank can be discarded to reduce the mobile suit's weight. These tanks use a two-layered construction, with one layer containing propellant, and the other holding extra coolant.
- Camouflage Color Scheme
- First seen on Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Mayfly of Space 2 picture drama, this is a special MS color scheme featured on Zeon's Marine Amphibious Unit (M.A.U.) Gelgoog Marines commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Cima Garahau as her unit retreated from A Baoa Qu at the close of One Year War. The camouflage scheme features numerous small dots to protect the mobile suits from tracking and monitoring by Federation forces.
Since it was produced at the end of the war, the Gelgoog Marine doesn't really see combat until years afterwards, when the renegade Cima Fleet fields roughly 30 of them as part of the Delaz Fleet's Operation Stardust. While others were captured by the Earth Federation and used as aggressor units for rookie pilots.
Notes and Trivia