Technology & Combat Characteristics
A variation of the Gelgoog, which replaced the Zaku II as the mainstay mobile suit of the Principality of Zeon for the final battle. As ace pilots were prioritized in the assignment of the Gelgoogs and their machines were modified to fit their piloting style, a number of functional-specific Gelgoog variants ended up being created in a short period of time. One of these variants is this B-type, which is equipped with an easy to retrofit, modular booster pack on its back for increased speed. This modification can be applied to both the prototype and standard mass-production Gelgoogs, boosting their thrust by around 30%. With its explosive acceleration capabilities, the Gelgoog High Mobility Type excels in anti-ship combat using hit-and-run tactics.
- Twin Beam Sword
- The same close-range melee weapon as used by the normal Gelgoog, it is also known as a beam naginata. Its handle is about the length of two beam saber hilts and has a beam emitter at both ends, allowing it to generate two beam blades by containing and shaping plasma via an I-Field. The weapon can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. It can also generate only a beam blade on one end. When not in use, it is stored on the rear waist armor.
- Beam Rifle
- The Gelgoog series is the first series of mass produced Principality of Zeon mobile suit to be equipped with a beam rifle. It was developed by incorporating the federation's technical data on energy CAP technology that Zeon obtained via Side 6. The beam rifle fires compressed mega particles in the form of a beam which has the power to penetrate all but the specially treated materials.
- Prototype Beam Rifle
- One of the prototype beam rifles developed in parallel with the Gelgoog. It has a unique cooling system for the generation of a high output beam so as to reduce the beam attenuation effect in the atmosphere. Although powerful, its energy conversion efficiency is poor, requiring time to recharge. Since it was intended to be used on the ground, it is prone to overheating when used in space.
- 360mm Bullpup Rocket Cannon
- A short barrel bullpup-style rocket cannon, this weapon is magazine-fed and launches rocket-propelled shape charges.
- The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit, and has an anti-beam coating to protect against beam attacks. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. The Gelgoog High Mobility Type's shield is arm-mounted and can be stored on the back when not in use.
- Knuckle Shield
- The knuckle shield is a modified Zaku II shoulder shield that mounts on the left arm. When mounted on the forearm the curve of the armor fits over the mobile suits hand. One of the modifications is the additions of three spikes placed on the plate that rests in front of the hand. These spikes make the knuckle shield an effective bashing weapon.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-like melee weapon, whose name is short for "tomahawk". Thermal energy is used to superheat the heat hawk's blade, allowing it to slice through the armor of enemy warships or mobile suits.
- Triple Missile Launcher
- An optional missile launcher that can be attached to the forearm of the Gelgoog instead of the usual jet engines.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka
- The same MS-use bazooka as used by the Dom, it fires rocket-propelled 360mm physical rounds. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- Large Beam Machine Gun
- A weapon that is more powerful than a regular beam rifle. It is possible to fire a pulsed beam, and the destructive power is given priority over the penetration force. In the case of a single shot, the target can be destroyed with high accuracy because the kinetic energy of the beam is less likely to decay. The sights are also exceptional.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits, it is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating.
- RGM·M-Sh-ABT/S-0019S Shield
- The same shield as used by the RGM-79Q GM Quel. It has the form of a curved surface for the purpose of efficient reduction and diffusion of kinetic energy at the time of impact. The surface also has anti-beam coating for defending against beam attacks.
Special Equipment & Features
- Dummy Launchers
- Stored in the hands, these launchers can deploy mobile suit sized dummy balloons as decoys. In U.C. 0090 during the events in MSV-R:The Return of Johnny Ridden, the Gelgoog High Mobility Type manufactured by Anaheim Electronics at the request of Uma Lightning, and piloted by Led Wayline was shown to utilize this equipment.
When the Principality of Zeon's military began field testing its Gelgoog prototype mobile suits during the last weeks of the One Year War, it was already hard at work on variants of this powerful new mobile suit. One of the first variants to be produced was the MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type, and only nine of the original twenty-five prototype Gelgoogs were modified into this B-type during field testing by the Chimera Corps, which included Zeon's famous "Crimson Lightning" ace pilot, Lieutenant Commander Johnny Ridden. Following the mass production of the Gelgoog, an additional 55 B-type Gelgoogs were produced, participating in the Battle of A Baoa Qu at the end of the war.
Notes and Trivia