Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type was essentially a standard Gelgoog equipped with a more powerful thruster pack, greatly increasing its speed and mobility. The Gelgoog High Mobility Type was equipped with a twin beam sword, a beam rifle and a shield. It is able to store the beam rifle or bazooka on a storage rack, which looks like it is attached to the backpack.
- Twin Beam Sword
- The same close-range melee weapon as used by the normal Gelgoog, it is also known as a beam naginata. The beam sword operates by generating a beam of plasma contained and shaped by an I-field. Because of the heat of the plasma, the beam sword can cut through any material not treated with anti-beam coating. The twin beam sword's handle is about the length of two beam saber hilts, and has an emitter at both ends, allowing a single weapon to create two beam blades. This allows the pilot to incorporate different techniques into their fighting style than they would normally be capable of. When not in use, it is stored on the rear waist armor.
- Beam Rifle
- The Gelgoog series is the first series of mass produced Principality of Zeon mobile suit to be equipped with a beam rifle. The technology of the rifle allows the weapon to fire compressed mega particles in the form of a beam which has the power to penetrate all but the specially treated materials.
- Sniper Beam Rifle
- A different model of the beam rifle used by the Gelgoog, has a longer shooting range and packs a heavier punch than the standard production beam rifle.
- 360mm Bullpup Rocket Cannon
- A short barrel bullpup-style rocket cannon, this weapon is magazine-fed and launches rocket-propelled shape charges.
- The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit, and has an anti-beam coating to protect against beam attacks. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. The Gelgoog High Mobility Type uses the same arm-mounted shield as the normal Gelgoog.
- Knuckle Shield
- The knuckle shield is a modified Zaku II shoulder shield that mounts on the left arm. When mounted on the forearm the curve of the armor fits over the mobile suits hand. One of the modifications is the additions of three spikes placed on the plate that rests in front of the hand. These spikes make the knuckle shield an effective bashing weapon.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-like melee weapon, whose name is short for "tomahawk". Thermal energy is used to superheat the heat hawk's blade, allowing it to slice through the armor of enemy warships or mobile suits.
- 3-tube Missile Launcher
- An optional 3-tube missile launcher that can be attached to the forearm of the Gelgoog instead of the usual jet engines.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka
- The same Giant Bazooka used by the Dom series of mobile suits. The bazooka is magazine fed and holds 10 rounds per magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- Large Beam Machine Gun
- A weapon that is more powerful than a regular beam rifle. It is possible to fire a pulsed beam, and the destructive power is given priority over the penetration force. In the case of a single shot, the target can be destroyed with high accuracy because the kinetic energy of the beam is less likely to decay. The sights are also exceptional.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits, it is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating.
- RGM·M-Sh-ABT/S-00195 Shield
- The same shield as used by the RGM-79Q GM Quel.
When the Principality of Zeon military began field testing of its MS-14S Gelgoog prototype mobile suits during the last weeks of the One Year War, it was already hard at work on variants of the powerful new Gelgoog line. One of the first variants to be produced was the MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type only twelve of the original twenty-five MS-14Ss would be modified into this B-type during field testing by the Chimera Corps, which included Zeon's famous "Crimson Lightning" ace pilot, Lieutenant Commander Johnny Ridden. When the Gelgoog line went into mass production, an additional 55 B-type Gelgoogs were produced, participating in the Battle of A Baoa Qu at the end of the war.
Notes and Trivia