|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit from MS-X; if you are looking for the article on the mobile suit from Mobile Suit Discovery design series then you should head to MS-11 Act Zaku/Origin.|
The MS-11 Act Zaku is a Principality of Zeon mass production general-purpose mobile suit. It was featured as a mobile suit variation in MS-X, it later appeared in the anime Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and the manga Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space, To the End of a Flash and Mobile Suit Gundam: Outer Gundam manga.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Based on the design of the MS-06 Zaku II, the Act Zaku is a normal evolution of the Zaku series. Its development was focused on improving the Zaku series and enhancing overall mobility. A highly productive design has been implemented due to the impact of the United Maintenance Plan. The Act Zaku was the testbed for the new "magnet coating" technology developed by the Zeonic Company. This technology reduces the friction caused by joints movement, enabling a faster and more responsive mobile suit. Because of this, the Act Zaku's joints are driven by field motors, similar to Federation mobile suits, rather than the fluid pulse system typically used by Zeon mobile suits.It has very high mobility, so a limiter is provided for the safety of the pilot.
The Act Zaku also had a much higher output reactor to wield beam weaponry. The Act Zaku could be issued the standard armaments of the Zaku series, such as the 120mm machine gun and 280mm bazooka. Model number MS-11 was originally given to the MS-14 Gelgoog, but was transferred to this unit due to delays in the development of the Gelgoog. Overall, the Act Zaku has demonstrated performance comparable to the Gelgoog's.
- Bullpup Gun
- A new four-barrel machine gun developed for the Act Zaku.
- Custom Beam Rifle
- Used by the Act Zaku during the One Year War, this rifle would serve as the basis for the BR-87A beam rifle after the end of the war.
- BR-87A Beam Rifle
- The same type of beam rifle used by the Hizack and Marasai, used by Federation-captured units in U.C. 0087.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard firearm for Zaku type MS. It has a large drum magazine located at the top, and features a scope and foregrip to enable highly accurate shooting. It can switch modes between single-fire and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka II
- A weapon borrowed from the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II, which is a redesigned version of Dom series' 360mm Giant Bazooka, with improved shape charges and firepower. The Giant Bazooka II is magazine-fed with 5-round capacity. It is particularly effective in anti-ship combat, and can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- 120mm Zaku Machine Gun Kai
- The same firearm used by the Hizack, it is an improved version of the Zaku Machine Gun operated by the Principality of Zeon's Zaku type MS during the One Year War. The accuracy has been improved by changing the sensor to the one of the Federation standard.
- Large Heat Hawk
- A heat weapon for close combat. The blade is larger than that of the model used by the Zaku II.
- Beam Saber
- During the Gryps War, the Act Zaku was said to be armed with a pair of beam sabers. It is unknown where they were stored.
- To increase its defensive capabilities the Act Zaku can optionally equip the same shield as the Gelgoog, or the shield used by the Hizack.
Special Equipment & Features
- Magnet Coating
- A special membrane treatment applied to mobile suit joints. The special magnet coating materials could be electrically charged to produce a magnetic field. This field caused the components of the joints to repel one another, reducing the friction caused by joint movement to almost nothing, creating a faster and much more responsive mobile suit.
The Act Zaku was introduced too late for the Principality of Zeon. Some units might have actually seen combat during the retake of the Pezun asteroid after the end of the war, quite possibly already equipped with beam rifles. When the Earth Federation Forces captured the Pezun asteroid, they obtained the designs for the Act Zaku, and the concept of magnet joint coating. The Earth Federation would put the Act Zaku into production for their own use after the One Year War.
At least one custom unit belonged to Granada's ace pilot, Mallet Sanguine. This Act Zaku has a commander antenna on its forehead and armed with two heat hawks, and a beam rifle and shield. After Mallet got seriously injured by the RX-78-4 Gundam Unit 4 "G04"'s mega beam launcher, he has the Act Zaku's limiter removed - increasing its performance while ignoring his condition - in order to exact vengeance from G04's partner, RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 "G05".
The Earth Federation would seize and use the Act Zaku for many years, right up into the Gryps War, though not in as great a number as their other mass-produced machines. By that point, the Act Zaku was fairly outdated when compared to the advanced machines being produced by both sides, and saw resounding defeats during each engagement against the AEUG. In one such engagement, six Act Zakus were dispatched alongside the ORX-005 Gaplant to attack the AEUG, two of them were later shot down by the MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki and the rest eventually retreated.
Notes and Trivia
- In the game Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space, the Act Zaku is an unlockable unit and has its own beam rifle. The design of the beam rifle in the game is similar to the design for the beam rifle the Hizack and Marasai used. This might imply that when the Pezun base was captured by the Earth Federation, they took the design for this beam rifle for their own production purposes.
- In SD Gundam G Generation Genesis, a special animation appears if Mallet Sanguine's Act Zaku defeats certain units such as RB-79 Ball with its Heat Hawks.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space, To the End of a Flash, Operation 2
- Gundam Officials, p.702
- The Origin Mechanical Archives
FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam | RGM-79L GM Light Armor | RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms Type | RX-77-4 Guncannon II | RX-78-3 Gundam "G-3" | TGM-79 GM Trainer
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Corvette Booster | Guncarry | Lightliner
|Principality of Zeon|
MS-06R-2 Zaku II High Mobility Type | MS-10 Pezun Dowadge | MS-11 Act Zaku | MS-12 Gigan | MS-13 Gasshia | MS-17 Galbaldy α
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|