Technology & Combat Characteristics
The space-type version, the MS-09R Rick Dom, had the original MS-09B Dom's hover jets replaced with rocket thrusters for use outside of the atmosphere. The resulting mobile suit had superior armor, power output, thrust, and maneuverability than the MS-06F Zaku II, the mobile suit the Rick Dom was to replace.
For combat, the Rick Dom relied on the same weapons and tactics as the ground use original. Its standard armament consists of a 360mm bazooka that can destroy an enemy mobile suit or heavily damage an enemy warship, a heat saber for close combat, and a chest-mounted scattering beam gun to blind enemy pilots and sensors. To increase its combat abilities, an experimental beam bazooka was developed and used by several Rick Doms, but unfortunately, it is never put into mass production.
Because of the its bulkier build, a Musai-class could only carry two Rick Dom in its main hangar, as opposed to three of the smaller (but weaker) Zaku IIs.
- Scattering Beam Gun
- A chest mounted scattering beam gun. Does little damage to enemy mobile suits, but can be used to blind enemy pilots for several seconds.
- Heat Saber Type 7
- The Rick Dom features an improved version of the Dom's Type 2 heat saber. Stored on the backpack when not in use, its blade is superheated during use to melt through the armor of an enemy machine.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- The primary weapon of the Rick Dom. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- Ex-T2-2 Beam Bazooka
- An experiment weapon developed near the end of the war and given to the Rick Dom. Its use requires the Rick Dom's energy systems to be modified. The bazooka has its own internal reactor, rather than an E-cap, and is, essentially, a Musai deck gun scaled down for mobile suit use. Due to using a reactor rather than an E-cap, the bazooka is capable of a single sustained blast or several short bursts, requiring a lengthy recharge period of approximately 10 minutes before it can be used again.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. It uses a 100-round drum magazine.
- MMP-80/90mm Ver.8 Machine Gun
- An alternative to the 120mm Machine Gun. It used 90mm bullets instead of 120mm type, allowing for a greater firing speed and better penetration capabilities. The machine gun is fed by a 32 rounds magazine.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A bazooka originally designed for use by the Zaku type mobile suits. The bazooka fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation mobile suits and battleships.
- Shield Lance
- A weapon used by Zabi's royal guards, as its name suggests, it is a lance with a shield attached to it. This allows the pilot to switch back and forth between offense and defense. The only downside of this weapon is its heavy weight, which reduces the Rick Dom's speed and mobility.
- Knuckle Shield
- The knuckle shield is a modified Zaku II shoulder shield carried on the arm, with the curve of the armor fitting over the mobile suit's hand. One of the modifications is the additions of three spikes placed on the plate that rests in front of the hand. These spikes make the knuckle shield an effective bashing weapon.
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon. Can be stored on waist armor.
- Heat Sword
- A melee weapon originally developed for the Gouf line of mobile suits. Like the Zaku's heat tomahawk, the heat sword's blade is heated to high temperatures in order to increase its cutting capacity.
The Principality of Zeon sought to replace their line of MS-06 Zaku II mobile suits with more advanced machines late into the One Year War in order to break the stalemate by countering the Earth Federation's own mobile suit development. For its terrestrial war front the Zeon forces deployed the MS-09B Dom, a fast-moving heavy assault mobile suit that would serve as the successor of the MS-06J Zaku II Ground Type.
Because of the success of the ground use MS-09B Dom, its producer Zimmad began work on a space-use variant. To acquire the needed data, Zimmad modified an MS-06F Zaku II by replacing the standard legs with larger Dom-style legs equipped with rocket thrusters. This allowed the MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type to maneuver as the new mobile suit was predicted to. Though destroyed in battle the test data was recovered and used to produce the MS-09R Rick Dom.
Major battles that Rick Dom mobile suits would participate in would include various skirmishes near Side 6 to destroy White Base and the RX-78-2 Gundam, the Battle of Solomon on December 25 where ace pilot Anavel Gato would use a Rick Dom and earn the nickname "Nightmare of Solomon."
Because the Principality of Zeon was pushed off the Earth shortly after the introduction of the MS-09B Dom its space-use variant had a longer production run, but even then it would last for only a few months as in the final weeks of the One Year War the Principality of Zeon would begin focusing their production capabilities to produce the high-performance MS-14 Gelgoog model mobile suit and its variants. However because of their dire situation all three major front-line mobile suit; the Zaku, the Rick Dom, and the Gelgoog would be used before the end of the war on January first of UC 0080.
An improved model of the Rick Dom, the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II, was produced very late in the war as part of the United Maintenance Plan, which was an initiative to improve the performance of existing mobile suit models and standardize the parts used in their construction in order to improve the cost efficiency of both construction and maintenance.
Notes and Trivia
- The "Rick" in its name stands for space-use. The Rick Dom would begin the tradition of space-use mobile suits being prefixed with "Rick".
- In SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online, the Rick Dom is given its Beam Bazooka and shares the same melee and secondary weapon as the normal Dom.
|Crossbone Gundam: Skull Heart Mechanics|
EMS-06 Batalla | EMS-10 Pez Batalla | XM-10 Flint | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai Kai "Skull Heart"
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Little Grey | Mother Vanguard
Amakusa | EMS-06 Batalla | EMS-06-P Arana Batalla | EMS-10 Pez Batara | EMS-12 Arana
|Earth Federation Forces|
F91 Gundam F91 | RGM-79 GM | RGM-122 Javelin | RX-78-2 Gundam
B Gundam | RB-79 Ball
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
|Principality of Zeon|
MS-06F Zaku II | MS-06MS Barbus | MS-09R Rick Dom
|Jupiter Energy Fleet|