Technology & Combat Characteristics
A space-use version of the MS-09B Dom, the MS-09R Rick Dom replaced the original's thermonuclear jets with thermonuclear rockets, and the propulsion units in the legs and skirt have been modified. By abolishing the compressor and expanding the combustion chambers, it achieves four times the thrust compared to thermonuclear jets. It can sustain a high acceleration of about 6G for 40 seconds and has propulsion capabilities nearly three times that of the Zaku II.
For combat, the Rick Dom relied on the same weapons and tactics as the ground use Dom. Its standard armament consists of a 360mm bazooka that can destroy an enemy mobile suit or heavily damage an enemy warship, a heat saber for close combat, and a chest-mounted scattering beam gun to blind enemy pilots and sensors. To increase its combat abilities, an experimental beam bazooka was developed and used by several Rick Doms, but unfortunately, it is never put into mass production.
Because of its bulkier build, a Musai-class could only carry two Rick Dom in its main hangar, as opposed to three of the smaller (but weaker) Zaku IIs.
- Scattering Beam Gun
- A chest-mounted scattering beam gun. It does little damage to enemy mobile suits, but can be used to blind enemy pilots for several seconds.
- Heat Saber
- The Rick Dom's main close combat weapon, it uses thermal energy to superheat its blade to melt through the armor of an enemy machine. It has an electrical discharge function and can store high charges via the application of Minovsky particle physics. As the heat saber degrades during use, it is discarded after usage. Mounted on the backpack when not in use.
- Beam Saber
- In the novel version of Mobile Suit Gundam, this is equipped instead of the heat saber. One of the prototype beam weapons developed by the Zeon army, it has a lower rate of convergence than the one deployed by the Federation army and has a thicker beam blade.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- A bazooka for MS that fires rocket-propelled 360mm physical rounds. Liquid fuel supplied through a pipe from the Rick Dom's hand is injected as a primary propellant, and then the projectile's speed is increased by rocket motor ignition. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- Ex-T2-2 Beam Bazooka
- One of the prototype beam weapons developed by Zeon near the end of the war, it uses a different method of mega particle compression than the Federation's energy CAP technology. Its use requires the Rick Dom's energy systems to be modified. Though it takes time to charge, it is said to be more powerful than even the MS-14A Gelgoog's beam rifle. However, due to frequent explosions during use, it never reached mass production.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- Also referred to as a "rifle" by Zeon soldiers, Zeonic was contracted to develop this weapon. Its internal development code is "ZMC38III". It can switch between semi-automatic and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots.
- MMP-80 90mm Machine Gun
- A small caliber machine gun for mobile suits developed under the United Maintenance Plan. The overall shape and mechanism of the Zaku Machine Gun, which was previously deployed, has been changed. The magazine has been changed from a drum magazine to a box magazine, and a 197mm grenade launcher is available as an option. The caliber has been reduced to 90mm, but as a result, the hit rate has improved, and the 90mm shell used is also excellent in initial velocity and anti-MS firepower. The number of bullets loaded is 32 in the standard single magazine and 100 in the triple magazine. The late production model features a different barrel and hand guard, resulting in a more compact shape.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- Shield Lance
- A weapon used by Zabi's royal guards, as its name suggests, it is a lance with a shield attached to it. This allows the pilot to switch back and forth between offense and defense. The only downside of this weapon is its heavy weight, which reduces the Rick Dom's speed and mobility.
- Knuckle Shield
- The knuckle shield is a modified Zaku II shoulder shield carried on the arm, with the curve of the armor fitting over the mobile suit's hand. One of the modifications is the additions of three spikes placed on the plate that rests in front of the hand. These spikes make the knuckle shield an effective bashing weapon.
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon. Can be stored on waist armor.
- Heat Sword
- A melee weapon originally developed for the Gouf line of mobile suits. Like the Zaku's heat tomahawk, the heat sword's blade is heated to high temperatures in order to increase its cutting capacity.
The Principality of Zeon sought to replace their line of MS-06 Zaku II mobile suits with more advanced machines late into the One Year War in order to break the stalemate by countering the Earth Federation's own mobile suit development. For its terrestrial war front the Zeon forces deployed the MS-09B Dom, a fast-moving heavy assault mobile suit that would serve as the successor of the MS-06J Zaku II Ground Type.
Because of the success of the ground use MS-09B Dom, its producer Zimmad began work on a space-use variant. To acquire the needed data, Zimmad modified an MS-06F Zaku II by replacing the standard legs with larger Dom-style legs equipped with rocket thrusters. This allowed the MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type to maneuver as the new mobile suit was predicted to. Though destroyed in battle the test data was recovered and used to produce the MS-09R Rick Dom.
Major battles that Rick Dom mobile suits would participate in would include various skirmishes near Side 6 to destroy White Base and the RX-78-2 Gundam, the Battle of Solomon on December 25 where ace pilot Anavel Gato would use a Rick Dom and earn the nickname "Nightmare of Solomon."
Because the Principality of Zeon was pushed off the Earth shortly after the introduction of the MS-09B Dom its space-use variant had a longer production run, but even then it would last for only a few months as in the final weeks of the One Year War the Principality of Zeon would begin focusing their production capabilities to produce the high-performance MS-14 Gelgoog model mobile suit and its variants. However because of their dire situation all three major front-line mobile suit; the Zaku, the Rick Dom, and the Gelgoog would be used before the end of the war on January first of UC 0080.
An improved model of the Rick Dom, the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II, was produced very late in the war as part of the United Maintenance Plan, which was an initiative to improve the performance of existing mobile suit models and standardize the parts used in their construction in order to improve the cost efficiency of both construction and maintenance.
- MS-09RS Rick Dom
- A variant of the Rick Dom that was modified at the A Baoa Qu factory, improving its generator output and thrust. Due to the increased output, beam weapons can now be operated stably.
Notes and Trivia
- The "Rick" in its name stands for space-use. The Rick Dom would begin the tradition of space-use mobile suits being prefixed with "Rick".
- In the original series, the Rick Dom was identical to the Dom aside from the addition of verniers to the legs and the skirt. However, model kits, starting from the Master Grade Rick Dom in 1999, differentiated the Rick Dom by giving it larger backpack thrusters and a differently shaped rear skirt.
- In SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online, the Rick Dom is given its Beam Bazooka and shares the same melee and secondary weapon as the normal Dom.
|Crossbone Gundam: Skull Heart Mechanics|
EMS-06 Batalla | EMS-10 Pez Batalla | XM-10 Flint | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai | XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai Kai "Skull Heart"
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Little Grey | Mother Vanguard
Amakusa | EMS-06 Batalla | EMS-06-P Arana Batalla | EMS-10 Pez Batara | EMS-12 Arana
|Earth Federation Forces|
F91 Gundam F91 | RGM-79 GM | RGM-122 Javelin | RX-78-2 Gundam
B Gundam | RB-79 Ball
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
|Principality of Zeon|
MS-06F Zaku II | MS-06MS Barbus | MS-09R Rick Dom
|Jupiter Energy Fleet|