Technology & Combat Characteristics
Any differences in technical specifications between this custom Rick Dom and the standard Rick Dom are currently unknown. However, since this mobile suit belonged to Char Aznable, there is a high probability that it was tuned to have a higher thruster output, similar to his previous MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type.
- Scattering Beam Gun
- Mounted in the chest, it does little damage to enemy mobile suits but can be used to blind enemy pilots for several seconds.
- Heat Saber
- Stored on the backpack when not in use, this weapon uses thermal energy to superheat the blade, allowing it to melt through the armor of an enemy machine when in contact.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- The primary weapon of Char's Rick Dom, it is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, with each round being able to blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- Ex-T2-2 Beam Bazooka
- An experimental weapon developed near the end of the war and given to the Rick Dom. Its use requires the Rick Dom's energy systems to be modified. The beam bazooka has its own internal reactor rather than an E-cap, and is essentially a Musai deck gun scaled down for mobile suit use. Due to using a reactor rather than an E-cap, the beam bazooka can fire a single sustained blast or several short bursts, requiring approximately 10 minutes of recharge time before it can be used again.
With the One Year War reaching it end, and the Federation close to seizing victory, the Principality of Zeon focused all of its efforts into quickly producing as many of their space orientated mobile suits to defeat the Federation in space, and emerge victorious in the war. One such suit was the MS-09R Rick Dom, which despite being outclassed by the MS-14A Gelgoog, still proved highly versatile in battle, and as such was still preferable over the MS-06F2 Zaku II.
In the novelization of Mobile Suit Gundam, Char gains this suit after his MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type is destroyed in battle at Texas Colony. Through this, Char and his team became part of a Zeon "Newtype Corps" team, comprised of MS-09R Rick Doms and at least one actual Newtype-use Mobile Armor. Char would use this suit to battle, then later try to recruit, Amuro Ray in his attempt to overthrow the Zabi Family. In the end, Char would use this suit to deliver Kycilia Zabi to confront her brother Gihren and assassinate him before Char tossed Kycilia to her death.
Notes & Trivia
- Although its specification is same as novel Rick Dom, Char's Rick Dom made frequent appearances in video games like Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed and SD Gundam G Generation series where it's the only Rick Dom armed with beam bazooka.