The MS-09RS Rick Dom C.A. Custom (also known simply as Char's Rick Dom) is a variant of the MS-09R Rick Dom, specially modified to Char Aznable's specifications. It is piloted by Char in the novelization of Mobile Suit Gundam, replacing the MSN-02 Zeong as Char's final mobile suit during the One Year War.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RS Type Rick Dom was a variant of the MS-09R Rick Dom that received special modifications at the A Baoa Qu factory, improving its generator output and thrust. The scattering beam generator in its chest was modified to serve as an energy buffer, decreasing the strain placed on the supply connector in the arm and allowing it to use the high-powered beam bazooka.
- Scattering Beam Gun
- A beam weapon mounted in the left side of the Rick Dom's chest. Although the scattering beam gun is incapable of damaging an enemy machine, it does produce a bright light that can momentarily blind eyes and visual sensors.
- Heat Saber
- The Rick Dom's main close combat weapon, it uses thermal energy to superheat its blade to melt through the armor of an enemy machine. It has an electrical discharge function and can store high charges via the application of Minovsky particle physics. As the heat saber degrades during use, it is discarded after usage. Mounted on the backpack when not in use.
- Beam Saber
- Armed only in the novel version. Since the rate of convergence is not very high, it is not possible to form a sharp blade.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- The same portable firearm used by the Zaku II. It can switch between semi-automatic and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots. It fires 120mm caliber rounds that are stored in a 100-rounds drum magazine.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- A bazooka for MS that fires rocket-propelled 360mm physical rounds. Liquid fuel supplied through a pipe from the Rick Dom's hand is injected as a primary propellant, and then the projectile's speed is increased by rocket motor ignition. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- Ex-T2-2 Beam Bazooka
- One of the prototype beam weapons developed by Zeon near the end of the war, it uses a different method of mega particle compression than the Federation's energy CAP technology. Its use requires the Rick Dom's energy systems to be modified. Though it takes time to charge, it is said to be more powerful than even the MS-14A Gelgoog's beam rifle. However, the Beam Bazooka takes time to charge and is difficult to produce, negatively affecting adoption of this weapon.
In the novelization of Mobile Suit Gundam, Char gains this suit after his MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type is destroyed in battle at Texas Colony. Through this, Char and his team became part of Zeon's "Newtype Corps" team, comprised of MS-09R Rick Doms and at least one Newtype-use Mobile Armor. Char use this suit to battle, then later try to recruit, Amuro Ray in his attempt to overthrow the Zabi Family. In the end, Char use this suit to deliver Kycilia Zabi to confront her brother Gihren and assassinate him before Char tossed Kycilia to her death.
Notes & Trivia
- Although its specifications are the the same as the novel Rick Dom, Char's Rick Dom made frequent appearances in video games like Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed and the SD Gundam G Generation series, where it's the only Rick Dom armed with beam bazooka.
- Master Grade MS-09RS Char Custom Rick Dom (2003) instruction manual