Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed late into the One Year War as part of the United Maintenance Plan, the Rick Dom II was an improved model of the MS-09R Rick Dom. Unlike its predecessor, which was based on the ground-use MS-09B Dom, the Rick Dom II was designed from the ground up with space-use in mind, and thus did not take aerodynamics into account. Its armor was redesigned to use a more planar structure, which made it possible to install a more powerful generator and thrusters with higher output.
In addition, it was equipped with more apogee motors for increased mobility, and a pair of propellant tanks for increased operating time. Technology from the MS-14 Gelgoog was also incorporated into its design. Compared to its predecessor, its production was simplified, and its durability was enhanced. The use of the second stage production type cockpit improved ease of use, lessening the burden placed on the pilot. Despite being specialized for space use, it can also operate within the atmosphere or inside colonies with modifications.
- Scattering Beam Gun
- A beam weapon mounted in the left side of the Rick Dom II's chest. The output of the beam gun has been increased, allowing it to be used as a close-range weapon in addition to blinding enemies.
- Heat Saber
- The Rick Dom II's main close combat weapon, it uses thermal energy to superheat its blade to melt through the armor of an enemy machine. It has an electrical discharge function and can store high charges via the application of Minovsky particle physics. As the heat saber degrades during use, it is discarded after usage. Mounted on the backpack when not in use.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka II
- The primary weapon of the Rick Dom II, it is a redesigned version of Dom series' 360mm Giant Bazooka, with improved shape charges and firepower. Fed by a 5-round magazine, it is effective in both anti-ship and anti-MS combat, with a single round blowing off a MS' torso easily.
- MMP-80 90mm Machine Gun
- A small caliber machine gun for mobile suits developed under the United Maintenance Plan. The overall shape and mechanism of the Zaku Machine Gun, which was previously deployed, has been changed. The magazine has been changed from a drum magazine to a box magazine, and a 197mm grenade launcher is available as an option. The caliber has been reduced to 90mm, but as a result, the hit rate has improved, and the 90mm shell used is also excellent in initial velocity and anti-MS firepower. The number of bullets loaded is 32 in the standard single magazine and 100 in the triple magazine. The late production model features a different barrel and hand guard, resulting in a more compact shape.
- Sturm Faust
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. It is commonly used by Zeon mobile suits in the late stages of the One Year War. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon. Can be stored on waist armor.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- A bazooka for MS that fires rocket-propelled 360mm physical rounds. Liquid fuel supplied through a pipe from the Rick Dom II's hand is injected as a primary propellant, and then the projectile's speed is increased by rocket motor ignition. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- 880mmRB-T27 Raketen Bazooka
- A new heavy bazooka which features powerful rocket-propelled rounds, and improved targeting sensor with protective cover for aiming. It is fed by a 5 rounds clip and spare clips can be carried.
- Large Heat Saber
- A prototype heat weapon developed specifically for anti-ship warfare, its large size and high output allows it to slice Federation warship in two. Used by the Rick Dom II piloted by Guy Helmuth of Marchosias regiment, it was supplied by Zeon's Granada Base.
Special Equipment & Features
- External Propellant Tank
- An external tank used for propellant storage. This extra propellant greatly extends a mobile suit's operating range, and enables it to stay in combat longer. When the propellant is consumed, the tank can be discarded to reduce the mobile suit's weight. These tanks use a two-layered construction, with one layer containing propellant, and the other holding extra coolant. The Rick Dom II was equipped with a pair of propellant tanks as standard equipment for prolonged operation in space, allowing it to operate for 200% longer than the Rick Dom.
Originally, the Rick Dom II was planned to be assigned to various locations after full mass production begins. However, since the One Year War ended before this could happen, only a very small number of units participated in actual combat. Its final production number, including unassembled units, was unknown.
On December 13, U.C. 0079, a Zeon mobile suit team, including at least one Rick Dom II, entered the Side 6 colony of Ribo and engaged in combat with the Federation garrison's RGM-79G GM Command before retreating. On December 14, Zeon launched another attack on the colony, where a mobile suit team, once again including at least one Rick Dom II, engaged the Federation's RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type outside Ribo, allowing the shuttle piloted by Zeon soldier Bernard Wiseman to enter the colony during the chaos as part of Operation Rubicon.
Another unit was piloted by Guy Helmuth of Zeon's "Marchosias Corps," and carried a large heat saber for close range combat. Guy and his Rick Dom II would participate in the battles of Solomon and A Baoa Qu.
During the Delaz Conflict of U.C. 0083, the Delaz Fleet operated a large number of Rick Dom II. These units would participate in the attack on the Federation naval review and the colony drop on Earth.
Illustrations & Artwork
Notes & Trivia
- The sourcebook Entertainment Bible MS Encyclopedia Part 7 listed the 0083 version of Rick Dom II's thruster output as "21,000 x2, 7,000 x2". However, this is most likely an error, as these numbers do not match the visible number of thrusters on the Rick Dom II, which was identical to the 0080 version.
- The large heat saber used by Guy Helmuth's Rick Dom II is similar to the one used by the MS-09F/Gb Dom Gross Beil.
- High Grade Universal Century Rick Dom II instruction manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 The OVA Movies VIII: War in the Pocket Part 2 OVA - Film Comic
- No Grade Rick Dom II instruction manual
- High Grade Universal Century Rick Dom II (light green version) instruction manual
- How Many Miles to the Battlefield?
- Reflections in a Brown Eye
- Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Missing Link
|Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 Mechanics|
|Earth Federation Forces|
RGM-79D GM Cold Districts Type | RGM-79G GM Command | RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type | RGM-79SP GM Sniper II | RX-77D Guncannon Mass Production Type | RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex"
Cold District Use APC
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
63 STS "Ginga" | C-88 Medea
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
LMSD-76 Gray Phantom
|Principality of Zeon|
MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai | MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II | MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger | MS-18E Kämpfer | MSM-03C Hygogg | MSM-07E Z'Gok-E
|Ship / Submarine|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Musai-class Final Production Type | Tivvay-class
RH-35E Riah 35 Draken-E