Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Rick Dom II is a product of the United Maintenance Plan and an upgraded version of the MS-09R Rick Dom. Unlike the Rick Dom, which is a space use conversion of the ground-use MS-09B Dom, the Rick Dom II is designed from the beginning to be for space combat, thus its armor and overall form are shaped into flat surfaces as air resistance is nonexistent in space. Its main improvements were overall increased thruster acceleration, along with the addition of more attitude control verniers for improved maneuverability. Combat within the colonies is also taken into account, and it is possible to move hovering under gravity using high-power thrusters. Because of the increased fuel consumption, the Rick Dom II has a pair of external propellant tanks so as to operate in the field longer.
- Scattering Beam Gun
- A chest mounted scattering beam weapon. The output of the beam gun has been increased, improving its reliability as a weapon.
- Heat Saber Type 7
- The same heat saber as used by the Rick Dom. Stored on the backpack when not in use, its blade is superheated during use to melt through the armor of an enemy machine at high speed.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka II
- The primary weapon of the Rick Dom II, it is a redesigned version of Dom series' 360mm Giant Bazooka, with improved shape charges and firepower. Fed by a 5-round magazine, it is effective in both anti-ship and anti-MS combat, with a single round blowing off a MS' torso easily.
- MMP-80/90mm Ver.8 Machine Gun
- An alternative to the 120mm Machine Gun. It used 90mm bullets instead of 120mm type, allowing for a greater firing speed and better penetration capabilities. The machine gun is magazine-fed with 32 rounds per mag.
- Sturm Faust
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. It is commonly used by Zeon mobile suits in the late stages of the One Year War. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon. Can be stored on waist armor.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- The same Giant Bazooka used by the Dom series of mobile suits. The bazooka is fed by a 10 rounds magazine fed, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- 880mmRB-T27 Raketen Bazooka
- A new heavy bazooka which features powerful rocket-propelled rounds, and improved targeting sensor with protective cover for aiming. It is fed by a 5 rounds clip and spare clips can be carried.
- Large Heat Saber
- A prototype heat weapon which was developed specifically for anti-ship warfare, its large size and high output allows it to slice Federation warship in two. Used by the Rick Dom II piloted by Guy Helmuth of Marchosias regiment, it was supplied by Zeon's Granada Base.
Special Equipment & Features
- External Ejectable Propellant Tanks
- An external tank used for propellant storage. This extra propellant greatly extends a mobile suit's operating range, and enables it to stay in combat longer. When the propellant is consumed, the tank can be discarded to reduce the mobile suit's weight. These tanks use a two-layered construction, with one layer containing propellant, and the other holding extra coolant.
Very late in the One Year War, the Principality of Zeon launched their United Maintenance Plan to upgrade and improve existing mobile suit designs, and to streamline its own manufacturing capabilities. Several new mobile suit designs were produced from this, including the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II. The Rick Dom II is an improved version of the MS-09R Rick Dom, and had a significantly higher performance. The redesign put the mobile suit on more even terms with the advanced mobile suits being deployed by the Earth Federation and even the Principality's own MS-14 Gelgoog. As it was designed very late in the war, only very few units were produced.
Despite being built in limited numbers, several of the Rick Dom IIs participated in skirmishes with Earth Federation Forces stationed at Side 6 during December U.C. 0079, the last month of the One Year War. These skirmishes had little overall strategic value and were carried as part of an operation to discover and destroy an advanced Earth Federation mobile suit, the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex", that the Zeon military had tracked from a Federation Antarctic base. Another unit was piloted by Guy Helmuth of Zeon's regiment the Marchosias and carried a large heat saber for close range combat. Guy and his Rick Dom II would participate in the battles of Solomon and A Baoa Qu.
A number of Rick Dom IIs that survived the One Year War made it to the Delaz Fleet, and took part in Operation Stardust. However, some of those units had slightly fewer thrusters, possibly due to the unavailability of replacement parts for the mobile suits. Despite being an antiquated machine, this unit would be deployed in U.C. 0096 by the Zeon Remnants.
Notes and Trivia
|Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 Mechanics|
|Earth Federation Forces|
RGM-79D GM Cold Districts Type | RGM-79G GM Command | RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type | RGM-79SP GM Sniper II | RX-77D Guncannon Mass Production Type | RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex"
Cold District Use APC
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
63 STS "Ginga" | C-88 Medea
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
LMSD-76 Gray Phantom
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai | MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II | MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger | MS-18E Kämpfer | MSM-03C Hygogg | MSM-07E Z'Gok-E
|Ship / Submarine|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Musai-class Final Production Type | Tivvay-class
RH-35E Riah 35 Draken-E