Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Dom Funf was independently developed by Zimmad as an improved model of the Dom following the implementation of the United Maintenance Plan. Due to standardization and compartmentalization, it can be easily modified into different variations.
- Scattering Beam Gun
- A beam weapon mounted in the left side of the Dom Funf's chest. Although the scattering beam gun is incapable of damaging an enemy machine, it does produce a bright light that can momentarily blind eyes and visual sensors.
- Heat Saber
- The Dom Funf's main close combat weapon, it uses thermal energy to superheat its blade to melt through the armor of an enemy machine. It has an electrical discharge function and can store high charges via the application of Minovsky particle physics. As the heat saber degrades during use, it is discarded after usage. Mounted on the backpack when not in use.
- MMP-80 90mm Machine Gun
- A small caliber machine gun for mobile suits developed under the United Maintenance Plan. The overall shape and mechanism of the Zaku Machine Gun, which was previously deployed, has been changed. The magazine has been changed from a drum magazine to a box magazine, and a 197mm grenade launcher is available as an option. The caliber has been reduced to 90mm, but as a result, the hit rate has improved, and the 90mm shell used is also excellent in initial velocity and anti-MS firepower. The number of bullets loaded is 32 in the standard single magazine and 100 in the triple magazine. The late production model features a different barrel and hand guard, resulting in a more compact shape.
- 880mmRB-T27 Raketen Bazooka
- A new heavy bazooka which features powerful rocket-propelled rounds, and improved targeting sensor with protective cover for aiming. The bazooka is fed by a 5 rounds clips and spare clips can be carried.
- H&L-GB03K/360mm Giant Bazooka
- A bazooka for MS that fires rocket-propelled 360mm physical rounds. Liquid fuel supplied through a pipe from the Dom Funf's hand is injected as a primary propellant, and then the projectile's speed is increased by rocket motor ignition. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- 120mm Assault Rifle
- A new model assault rifle that appears to be an upgrade of the MMP-78 machine gun.
As the Dom Funf was developed late in the One Year War, very few units were made and dispatched for combat. One unit was assigned to 2nd Lt. Sophie Fran of the Midnight Fenrir Corp who used it during the final days of the war on Earth. Its versatility served as the basis for subsequently developed Dom models including the MS-09F/trop Dom Tropen and MS-09F/Br Dom Barrage.
Notes and Trivia
- It was once thought to be the red Dom-type mobile suit seen in the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, but later material state that this is YMS-09R-2 Prototype Rick-Dom Zwei. As such, the official status of the Dom Funf is disputable.
- The history of the Dom Funf was extremely complicated. In Entertainment Bible 42 (p. 36), published in 1992, it was stated that the Dom Funf, a Dom variant based on "the Rick Dom and others", was the predecessor of the Dom Tropen. In the 2000 HGUC Dom Tropen manual, it was stated that the Dom Funf was a space combat variant of the Dom deployed near the end of the One Year War, and that it was also assigned to the Gwaden, implying that the Dom seen in 0083 episode 1 was the Dom Funf. However, the reference to the Gwaden was removed in the 2002 Dom Tropen sand brown manual.
- In the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front, released in 2001, the MS-09F Dom Funf finally made an appearance, with its design based on the Dom seen in 08th MS Team. However, the official website for the game referred to it as "MS-09 Dom" and described it only as "a variant mainly assigned to South East Asia", casting even more confusion on whether this design was indeed Dom Funf. Despite this, the 2016 SD Gundam G Generation, which featured Zeonic Front, still referred to this design as "Dom Funf".
- The Encyclopaedia of Gundam Ver 1.5, p. 169
- Zeonic Front website