Technology & Combat Characteristics
Created by the Zeon Earth Attack Force, the Efreet was developed between the Gouf and Dom. It was a rare machine with a small number of completed prototypes. Although the completed prototypes showed considerable performance, its low productivity hindered mass production. Many of the prototypes put into actual battles were deployed to special units, and others were used as experimental machines for new weapon development, indicating its high basic performance. The Efreet excels at close-range combat using hit-and-run attacks and can temporarily hides itself with smoke dischargers, making it suitable for guerrilla tactics.
- Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, the pair of shell firing weapons have high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- A pump-action shotgun, it is of the same type as the one used by the MS-18E Kämpfer.
- Heat Sword
- Like the Zaku's heat tomahawk, the heat sword's blade is heated to high temperatures to increase its cutting capacity. The heat sword used by the Efreet has a different blade design from that used by the MS-07B Gouf, and it can carry up to two of these swords, one stored on each side skirt armor. One can be used as a reserve weapon, or both can be used simultaneously in a twin sword fashion. The heat sword is sometimes referred to as heat saber.
- Triple 35mm Gatling Gun
- Equipped on the left forearm of Doug Schneid's Efreet, it is a weapon originally used by the MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom. It fires physical rounds at a rapid rate and is magazine fed.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka
- The same MS-use bazooka as used by the Dom, it fires rocket-propelled 360mm physical rounds. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- MMP-80 90mm Machine Gun
- A small caliber machine gun for mobile suits developed under the United Maintenance Plan. The overall shape and mechanism of the Zaku Machine Gun, which was previously deployed, has been changed. The magazine has been changed from a drum magazine to a box magazine, and a 197mm grenade launcher is available as an option. The caliber has been reduced to 90mm, but as a result, the hit rate has improved, and the 90mm shell used is also excellent in initial velocity and anti-MS firepower. The number of bullets loaded is 32 in the standard single magazine and 100 in the triple magazine. The late production model features a different barrel and hand guard, resulting in a more compact shape.
- Heat Lancer
- A large, collapsible polearm weapon, its blade can be superheated to high temperatures in order to increase its cutting capacity. The long reach of the weapon provides a considerable advantage in close quarters combat. It is used by Doug Schneid's Efreet.
Special Equipment & Features
- Smoke Discharger
- The Efreet is equipped with four smoke dischargers. It could cover an area in a thick cloud of smoke when discharged. This allows the Efreet to move in swiftly, destroy its intended targets, and move out before the smoke clears.
Much like the Gouf, the Efreet was a high-performance close combat ground mobile suit created by the Zeon Earth Attack Force. However, the Efreet had an incredibly short production run, with only eight units built before its production was halted in favor of newer and more revolutionary designs like the Dom. All eight Efreets were sent to Odessa where they would be tested for further development.
One of the Efreets produced was piloted by Captain Henry Boone, leader of the Zeon's Wolf Gar Team who lead Operation Desert Dragon to overtake the Albatross Transport Base in the Gobi Desert. Another Efreet unit (known as unit no. 5) was piloted by Captain Doug Schneid of Zeon's Marchosias regiment. Doug Schneid's Efreet was painted in his custom purple colors, and equipped with armaments to fit his combat style.
Other known Efreet units include MS-08TX［EXAM］Efreet Custom, a highly customized machine piloted by Zeon ace pilot Major Nimbus Schterzen as featured in Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny. In Mobile Suit Gundam: Battlefield Record U.C. 0081, another heavily modified Efreet unit, the MS-08TX/N Efreet Nacht, was seen piloted by Captain Erik Blanke, a member of the Invisible Knights. In addition, Doug Schneid's Efreet survived the One Year War and fell into the possession of the Zeon Remnants, who modify it over the years into the MS-08TX/S Efreet Schneid.
Notes and Trivia
- The name "Efreet" is one of many spellings of a class of demons of Middle-Eastern origin. Other common spellings include "Ifrit" and "Efreti".