Technology & Combat Characteristics
In efforts to create a dominant land use mobile suit, the Principality of Zeon's Zimmad Company took a standard MS-07 Gouf and extensively modified it. The new unit they created was dubbed the Gouf Test Prototype. The Gouf Test Prototype mounted several extra thrusters in its legs to give it the ability to hover short distances across the ground. It was also given an experimental heat saber. Additionally, the standard Gouf head was replaced with a large mono-eye version, which bears a large resemblance to the MS-09B Dom.
- Heat Saber
- The Gouf Test Prototype's main close combat weapon, it uses thermal energy to superheat its blade to melt through the armor of an enemy machine. As the heat saber degrades during use, it is discarded after usage.
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishments that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Typically, physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. Also, the shield could not withstand a beam attack, due to the lack of anti-beam coating technology of that time.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- Also referred to as a "rifle" by Zeon soldiers, Zeonic was contracted to develop this weapon. Its internal development code is "ZMC38III". It can switch between semi-automatic and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots.
- A simplified, disposable rocket launcher. As the warhead is not equipped with a guidance device, it is extremely hard to use the Sturm Faust to hit a moving target accurately. However, it is still a highly destructive portable weapon.
Only one Gouf Test Prototype was constructed during the One Year War, and used explicitly as a testbed for new innovations in mobile suit design, never seeing any actual combat. The data gathered from the Gouf Test Prototype was compiled and several of the new technologies tested with it would become standard issue when the Zimmad Company created their next mobile suit, the MS-09B Dom.
Notes and Trivia