Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-07B Gouf is designed specifically for Earth-based, close-quarter MS combat. It featured much-improved mobility with a powerful backpack and leg-mounted thrusters for jet-assisted jumps based on the YMS-08A High Mobility Test Type. For armaments, it has the 75mm machine gun left hand and "heat rod", which could be used as a superheated slicing weapon or as a grappling weapon with a powerful electric shock effect. It also had a powerful heat sword stored within the shield, and could also use the standard Zaku II weapons, such as the 120mm machine gun or the 280mm bazooka.
The Gouf easily outstripped the MS-06 Zaku II in terms of speed, power output, and melee combat ability. But its overall performance was not great enough to be justified by its increased cost. The Gouf's production was cut short by the development of a more cost efficient unit, the more powerful and nimble MS-09B Dom. Despite its very short production run, several variations were produced in limited numbers and it was still deployed across the world alongside Zakus and Doms. One customized unit was piloted by Visch Donahue, which had the original 5-fingered machine gun left hand replaced by a normal manipulator hand, in its place a 3-barrel 35mm machine gun was mounted on the left forearm.
- 5-barrel 75mm Machine Gun
- The MS-07B Gouf's regular left manipulator is replaced by a five-barrel 75mm machine gun shaped like enlarged fingers. It fires physical rounds at a rapid rate, and despite its bulky and awkward appearance, its barrels demonstrate limited degree of digital dexterity, including the ability to hold the shield, and to adequately grip the heat sword and various firearms. Some Goufs were fielded with two 5-barrel 75mm Machine Guns.
- Heat Rod
- A close-range weapon installed in the right forearm. This retractable cable delivers a high-voltage electrical shock when it comes into contact with an enemy mobile suit, damaging its internal systems and stunning its pilot. The heat rod could also be superheated to give it cutting properties.
- A defensive armament that can be attached to the left arm, it also stores the melee weapon, the heat sword.
- Heat Sword Type-βIV
- A melee weapon originally developed for the Gouf series. Like the Zaku's heat tomahawk, the heat sword has a blade that is heated to high temperatures in order to increase its cutting capacity. Initially, the weapon's blade is made of a polymer compound that has undergone a shape memory treatment, and thus is stored inside the weapon's grip when not in use and upon heating, will expand out of the grip and took on the shape of the heat sword's blade. This polymer compound was later replaced by easier to produce ceramic materials. The heat sword is sometimes referred to as heat saber.
- Heat Hawk Type 5
- An axe-like melee weapon, whose name is short for "tomahawk". Thermal energy is used to superheat the heat hawk's blade, allowing it to slice through the armor of enemy warships or mobile suits.
- Heat Wire
- The customized Gouf piloted by Visch Donahue had the original heat rod on its right forearm replaced with a heat wire. First featured on the MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom, the heat wire is a magnetic grappler mounted on a thin cable, allowing the right forearm to store a much greater length of heat wire and giving the weapon a much greater reach. The heat wire can release an electric charge to disable an enemy mobile suit, and in the hands of highly-skilled pilots, it can be utilized as a survival tool for hanging onto buildings or enemy units to buy time for the Gouf to launch surprise attacks. The weapon is also known as heat rod (anchor type).
- 3-barrel 35mm Machine Gun
- The customized Gouf piloted by Visch Donahue had the original 5-fingered machine gun left hand replaced by a normal manipulator hand, and instead a 3-barrel 35mm machine gun was mounted on the left forearm. It fires physical rounds at a rapid rate and is magazine fed with better ammunition capacity.
- 3-tube Missile Launcher
- The Gouf unit piloted by Manning is equipped with a 3-tube Missile Launcher which can be attached to the left forearm for ranged attack. It is similar to the model used by the MS-06D Zaku Desert Type and MS-14C Gelgoog Cannon.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. This model used a 100-round drum magazine.
- MMP-80/90mm Ver.8 Machine Gun
- An alternative to the 120mm Machine Gun. It used 90mm bullets instead of 120mm type, allowing for a greater firing speed and better penetration capabilities. The machine gun is magazine-fed with 32 rounds per magazine.
- H&L-GB03K/360mm Giant Bazooka
- The Giant bazooka is the same model used by the MS-09B Dom and is fed by a 10 rounds magazine. A single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit. During Zeon's invasion of EFF's Jaburo headquarters in December U.C. 0079, some Goufs were equipped with the Giant Bazooka.
- The Gouf unit piloted by Renchef is equipped with a pump-action shotgun that is similar to the model used by the MS-18E Kämpfer.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- The same weapon as used by the Zaku type mobile suits, it fires explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation mobile suits and battleships.
- MMP-78 Machine Gun
- A new model machine gun with enhanced firepower to combat Federation Forces MS. Early type and late type models exist, with differences in the location and mounting of the grip on the latter. In addition to the regular machine gun bullets fed from the drum magazine, the MMP-78 is also capable of firing anti-aircraft rounds being fed from a smaller, box-type magazine. The MMP-78 is also integrated with a grenade launcher under its barrel for additional firepower. "MMP" is an abbreviation for "Mobile Suit Machine Pistol".
Shortly after its initial introduction, the early model MS-07A Gouf was replaced by the completed MS-07B Gouf model. The Zeon pilot Lieutenant Ramba Ral played havoc with the crew of the Pegasus-class White Base and the young pilot of the RX-78-2 Gundam with his YMS-07B Gouf, a prototype of the standard B-Type Gouf. The Gouf was used all around the world as a means of advancing Zeon's ground campaign due to the Zaku slipping into obsolescence .
Shortly after the Gouf's introduction its production was halted in favor of the MS-09B Dom. However, research into the Gouf's basic design would continue which would lead to the development of several improved models that would see limited production. Despite the research, none of the Gouf's models would see development in the United Maintenance Plan that the Principality of Zeon initiated to improve existing mobile suit designs, likely due to Zeon putting more focus into the One Year War's space front at the time of the plan's initiation and the lack of development in a space-capable Gouf model.
Notes & Trivia
- For reason's unknown, the MS-07B Gouf's heat sword was animated like a beam sword in Mobile Suit Gundam animations.
- According to Gundam: The Origin mechanical archives, the heat sword of the Origin version of the Gouf was drawn in the same way as a homage to the original anime.
- A storybook adaptation of "A Wish of War Orphans" published by Asahi Sonorama features a Gouf in Char Aznable colors, which is exclusively made for the book.
- The High Grade Universal Century Gouf Revive instruction manual mentioned that the Gouf was based on two prototypes: the YMS-07A-0 Prototype Gouf (Mobility Demonstrator) and the YMS-07B-0 Prototype Gouf (Tactical Demonstrator). Both of these units only existed in the continuity of Gundam: The Origin, and were not mentioned in any other sources in the mainstream continuity. It is unclear if this was an error.
|Mobile Suit Gundam F90 Mechanics|
AMS-119S Geara Doga Kai | F70 Cannon Gundam | F90 Gundam F90 | F90A Gundam F90 Assault Type | F90D Gundam F90 Destroid Type | F90E Gundam F90 Electronic Type | F90H Gundam F90 Hover Type | F90M Gundam F90 Marine Type | F90P Gundam F90 Plunge Type | F90S Gundam F90 Support Type | F90V Gundam F90 VSBR Type | F90II Gundam F90II | F90II-I Gundam F90II Intercept Type | F90II-L Gundam F90II Long Range Type | RGM-89J Jegan Normal Type | RGM-89ST-2 ST-Gun
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Irish-class | Ra Cailum-class
OMS-06RF RF Zaku | OMS-07RF RF Gouf | OMS-09DRF RF Desert Dom | OMS-09RF RF Dom | OMS-14RF RF Gelgoog | OMS-14SRF RF Gelgoog Charles Rochester Type | OMS-15RF RF Gyan | OMS-90R Gundam F90 | OMSM-07RF RF Z'Gok
OMAX-01 Grand Zam | OMAX-03RF RF Adzam
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|