|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit featured in Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin; if you are looking for the article on Char's custom MS-06 Zaku II featured Mobile Suit Gundam then you should head to MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Char's MS-06S Zaku II is a customized version of the standard MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type (an overall improved MS-06F Zaku II) painted in his personal red colors. Being a commander's unit, a horn-like decoration was also attached to its head. Despite the high risks, Char personally ordered the removal of its limiters, allowing it to use its thrusters to the maximum limit. The hit-and-run tactics enabled by the resulting high thrust, and the impression its distinctive colors made on the battlefield, led to Char's nick name, "Red Comet". After the Clash of Loum, Vice Admiral Dozle secretly ordered Char to command the Falmer, a custom Musai-class battleship, and unit emblems and victory markings were applied to his MS-06S. These included bright white lines indicating it as the commander's unit, the unit number "A12" and emblems of the Falmer.
- Shoulder Shield
- A defensive equipment made of steel and multiple types of shock absorption material. It is fitted with weapon latches, which can be used to hold two spare magazines for the bazooka or various types of weapon.
- Chest Vulcan
- A pair of fixed armaments mounted in the chest, they are mostly used to destroy fighter jets and small vehicles, or intercept missiles.
- ASR-78 MS Anti-Ship Rifle
- A sniper rifle mainly used against warships. It discharges specialized rounds at a high initial velocity, which can split into submunitions after penetrating a warship's armor, destroying it from within. It is especially devastating when used against the bridge or engine of a ship.
- Type A2 MS Bazooka
- A large bazooka mainly used for anti-ship combat, it can hold three shells in the magazine near the back. It is mounted on the weapon latch on the backpack when not in use.
- Machine Gun
- Two type of machine guns for MS can be equipped: a drum magazine type and a belt-fed type with a belt extending from the magazine box under the backpack.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. When stored on the weapon latch on the waist, its grip can slide into a more compact form.
One Year War
Battle of Loum
Investigation of Operation V
In September, U.C. 0079, at Side 7, Noa, following the launch of the RX-78-02 Gundam from the White Base, Dren was ordered by Char to equip Char and Slender's Zaku II units with Type 1 Gear and prepare to launch them along the laser lines. After Amuro's Gundam destroyed two missiles, Oscar Dublin detected Char's and Slender's Zaku II units, with the former approaching three times faster than the latter. Captain Paolo Cassius immediately and gravely recognized it as the Red Comet, Char, stating to a surprised Bright that it was the suit that single-handedly scrapped five of the Federation's battleships at Loum and ordered to turn back and run. Char's Zaku II, still moving at great speed was now close to the ship and Char saw the Gundam through his camera.
Notes & Trivia
- The MS-06S Char's Zaku II featured the "A12" squadron number and Char's personal emblem, which were first established by the Master Grade MS-06S Zaku II model kit.
- In SD Gundam G Generation Genesis, Char's Zaku II is part of the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin DLC pack along with the RTX-65 Guntank Early Type. Unlike the MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type, Char's Zaku II can be developed into the Rick Dias, the Zeong, the Hyaku Shiki, and the Sazabi, all of which are Char's future machines.
- In one of the "Zeonic Toyota" advertisements, Lalah Sune briefly piloted Char's Zaku II.
- MECHANICAL | MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THE ORIGIN (English Website) | Episode 1, U.C.0079
- HGGO 1/144 MS-06S Zaku II (Red Comet Ver.) instruction manual
- MECHANICAL | MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THE ORIGIN (Japanese Website) | Episode 6
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 1, Blue-Eyed Casval