The MS-06RP Zaku II High Mobility Test Type is a mobile suit introduced in Mobile Suit Variations.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Based on the late production variant of the MS-06F Zaku II, the MS-06RP was a prototype of the R Type Zaku, a variant intended to improve on the F Type's performance. Compared to its predecessor, the MS-06RP featured a new backpack equipped with two thrusters with 218 tons of thrust each, additional thrusters on its legs, and enlarged integral fuel tanks in the waist. In addition, the MS-06RP was also equipped with more powerful weapons, including a 420mm rocket launcher and a 360mm rocket launcher, both of which were prototypes. During testing, the MS-06RP performed extremely well and was quickly greenlit for mass production, leading to the first production run of the MS-06R-1 Zaku II High Mobility Test Type.
- Shoulder Shield
- A large composite armored shield on the Zaku II's right shoulder. When the machine is in the optimal attack posture, where the frontal projected area is the smallest, the corners of the shield are in front, maximizing the defensive area and forming sloped armor to reduce damage from ricochets.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard firearm for Zaku type MS. It has a large drum magazine located at the top, and features a scope and foregrip to enable highly accurate shooting. It can switch modes between single-fire and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
- 420mm Rocket Launcher
- A prototype weapon tested on the MS-06RP. It was ultimately rejected due to production issues.
- 360mm Rocket Launcher
- A prototype weapon tested on the MS-06RP. It became the MS-06RP's standard weapon after its ammo capacity was improved.
Two units were produced, with both units painted in orange-yellow. The two units underwent two weeks of testing in Granada, with Unit 1 piloted by Elliot Rem. After testing concluded, the MS-06RP was immediately approved for mass production as the MS-06R-1 Zaku II High Mobility Test Type, with an initial order of 22 units.
In February, U.C. 0079, Shin Matsunaga was given the MS-06RP Unit 2 by Rem in preparation for a mock battle against the Black Tri-Stars. However, during a training battle with Ramba Ral's MS-05B Zaku I, the 06RP's engine suddenly lost control, causing it to charge out of the training area and crash land in Ayers, a nominally neutral lunar city with strong Federation sympathy.
During the mock battle, Matsunaga piloted the MS-06RP Unit 1, which was fitted with numerous prototype parts (apparently the fins from the MS-06E-3 Zaku Flipper) and had a limiter placed on its engine to prevent it from losing control again. During the battle, the 06RP proved to be evenly matched with the Tri-Stars' MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type after Matsunaga disabled its limiter, even surviving their famed Jet Stream Attack. However, the battle was interrupted when the Federation launched a long range artillery attack on the lunar mass driver base.
In order to join the battle, Unit 1 was readjusted by the young Zeonic engineer May Kauwin, removing the prototype parts and repainting it in Matsunaga's personal colors (the same one later used by his MS-06R-1A). Together with other participants of the mock battle, Matsunaga destroyed the Federation railgun ship São Tomé and Príncipe that has been bombarding the mass driver base.
Matsunaga was later approached by then-Major M'Quve, who wanted Matsunga to provide a negative review of the 06RP in order to ensure the cancellation of the R Type's development and the success of his United Maintenance Plan. However, Matsunaga refused, saying that he felt the R Type was necessary. As a result, M'Quve proposed to Kycilia Zabi that the R Type's development should be allowed to continue in a limited capcity, in parallel with the United Maintenance Plan.
- Model Information June 1984 - Special: Mobile Suits Variation (1984), p.10
- Mobile Suit Variation Handbook 1 (1983), p.9
- Mobile Suit Gundam MSV-R Legend of the Universal Century Heroes: The Fabulous Shin Matsunaga Vol. 3 (2014)
- Mobile Suit Gundam MSV-R Legend of the Universal Century Heroes: The Fabulous Shin Matsunaga Vol. 4 (2014)
- Mobile Suit Gundam MSV-R Legend of the Universal Century Heroes: The Fabulous Shin Matsunaga Vol. 5 (2015)