|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit from "Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team" OVA; if you are looking for the article on the mobile suit from "Mobile Suit Discovery" design series then you should head to MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type/Origin.|
The MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type is a prototype mobile suit of the Principality of Zeon. It is featured in the Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team OVA.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-06RD-4 is a prototype built to develop the MS-09R Rick Dom's thermonuclear rocket engine for its legs, and looks like the upper half of the Zaku II combined with the lower half of the Dom. Both shoulder sections are the same as the Zaku I, with no shield on the right shoulder and no spikes on the left shoulder.
- ZMP-50D 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard firearm for Zaku type MS. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used; however, its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. The ZMP-50D used a 100-round drum magazine, which is offset to the right. "ZMP" stands for "Zaku Machine Pistol".
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
The MS-06RD-4 was constructed at Zeon's Granada facility on the moon. One unit was assigned to test-pilot Aina Sahalin, and was taken for its first flight on October 6, Universal Century 0079. However, the MS-06RD-4 and its escort units came under attack from an Earth Federation Forces squadron. One of the MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type's escort units was destroyed, and all of the Federation units were destroyed with the exception of one RGM-79［E］ GM Early Type, piloted by Terry Sanders Jr..
The MS-06RD-4 attempted to pursue the GM Type-E and was able to damage it, but Aina was separated from her remaining Zaku II escort. Out of ammunition, the GM Early Type sent out a distress signal, which was picked up by a passing Federation shuttle. The shuttle sent out a RB-79K Ball Type K, piloted by Shiro Amada, to attempt to help the GM Early Type. Astonishingly, Shiro was able to severely damage the MS-06RD-4, but his Ball K Type was critically damaged in the process and both he and Aina were forced to bail out of their respective units before they both exploded. The Zaku High Mobility Type's combat data was lost in the process.
Notes & Trivia
- The MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type is one of the few Zaku variations that does not come with a shoulder shield or shoulder spikes.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Complete Works 3 - MS-06 ZAKU Book
- The 08th MS Team Official Website