|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit from "Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team" OVA; if you are looking for the article on the mobile suit from "Mobile Suit Discovery" design series then you should head to MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type/Origin.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The MS-06RD-4 was a MS-06F Zaku II fitted with the lower body of a MS-09R Rick Dom. It was created to test the Rick Dom's leg-mounted thermonuclear rocket engines. Being a test unit, its only weapons were a 120mm machine gun and a heat hawk (though various media also depicted it using the zaku bazooka).
- ZMP-50D 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type MS. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used; however, its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. The ZMP-50D used a 100-round drum magazine, which is offset to the right. "ZMP" stands for "Zaku Machine Pistol".
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
The MS-06RD-4 was constructed at Zeon's Granada facility on the moon. One unit was assigned to test-pilot Aina Sahalin, and was taken for its first flight on October 6, Universal Century 0079. However, the MS-06RD-4 and its escort units came under attack from an Earth Federation Forces squadron. One of the MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type's escort units was destroyed, and all of the Federation units were destroyed with the exception of one RGM-79［E］ GM Early Type, piloted by Terry Sanders Jr..
The MS-06RD-4 attempted to pursue the GM Type-E and was able to damage it, but Aina was separated from her remaining Zaku II escort. Out of ammunition, the GM Early Type sent out a distress signal, which was picked up by a passing Federation shuttle. The shuttle sent out a RB-79K Ball Type K, piloted by Shiro Amada, to attempt to help the GM Early Type. Astonishingly, Shiro was able to severely damage the MS-06RD-4, but his Ball K Type was critically damaged in the process and both he and Aina were forced to bail out of their respective units before they both exploded. The Zaku High Mobility Type's combat data was lost in the process.
Notes and Trivia