|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit from "Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team" OVA; if you are looking for the article on the mobile suit from "Mobile Suit Discovery" design series then you should head to MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type/Origin.|
The MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type is a prototype mobile suit introduced in the Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team OVA.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Zaku High Mobility Test Type was an experimental mobile suit said to have been created as the result of a top secret collaboration between Zeonic and Zimmad led by the Principality of Zeon military, with the goal of modifying the MS-09 Dom for space combat. Featuring the upper body of a MS-06R series Zaku II and the lower body of what would become the MS-09R Rick Dom, this mobile suit served as the test bed for the Rick Dom's leg-mounted thermonuclear rocket engines. The ease of maintenance and engineering quality of its leg units were said to be superior to the MS-06R-1A Zaku II High Mobility Type's leg units.
- ZMP-50D 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard firearm for Zaku type MS. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used; however, its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. The ZMP-50D used a 100-round drum magazine, which is offset to the right. "ZMP" stands for "Zaku Machine Pistol".
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
The project that led to the creation of the Zaku High Mobility Test Type was said to have taken place one month before the MS-09 Dom entered mass production. The mobile suit was then used to field test the thermonuclear rocket engines that would later be used on the MS-09R Rick Dom. By 6 October, U.C. 0079, its technical trial had been completed. One unit, piloted by Aina Sahalin, was deployed near Earth orbit to accumulate combat data, with three Zakus as escorts. It shot down two RGM-79［E］ GM Early Type deployed from Luna II and heavily damaged the GM Early Type piloted by Terry Sanders Jr.. However, it was later destroyed by the RB-79K Ball Type K piloted by Shiro Amada, causing all of its combat data to be lost.
Notes & Trivia
- The MS-06RD-4 Zaku High Mobility Test Type is one of the few Zaku variations that does not come with a shoulder shield or shoulder spikes.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed, developing the Zaku High Mobility Test Type is not necessary for the development of the Rick Dom, but doing so shortens the Rick Dom's development time.
- Master Grade Rick Dom (1999) instruction manual
- The 08th MS Team official website - Mobile Suit Data - Zeon
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Official Archive (2014), p.6
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 1: War for Two