Technology & Combat Characteristics
The first mass-produced R type. The structure has been rearranged from the RP type to improve production efficiency, and the number of externally mounted conductive cables and circuits has increased. In addition, small thrusters have been added, and the waist integral tank has been distributed to the body and legs. The propellant has been completely redesigned instead of the Zaku II F-type base to secure the loading capacity.
- Shoulder Shield
- Mounted on the right shoulder, it is a simple defense used to block most physical projectiles.
- 120mm Machine Gun
- A standard weapon for Zaku type mobile suits. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. It holds 100 rounds per drum with spare drums that can be stored on waist armor racks.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A bazooka originally developed for anti-ship use. It fired explosive rounds that were quite effective against the armor of Earth Federation battleships and MS.
- H&L-GB05R/360mm Giant Bazooka
- The same MS-use bazooka as used by the Dom, it fires rocket-propelled 360mm physical rounds. It is fed by a 10 rounds magazine, and a single round can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-shaped close combat weapon, it uses a super-heated blade to cut through the armor of enemy MS or vehicles. The thermal energy is generated by the power output of the Zaku II's thermonuclear reactor and relayed through the MS' hands.
The Zaku II High Mobility Test Type was the next major development of the MS-06RP Zaku II High Mobility Test Type. The original design was only slightly modified and eventually 22 units of the MS-06R-1 were produced. These units were given to some of Zeon's notable ace pilots for flight tests. One such unit was given to Shin Matsunaga, who earned the nickname the "White Wolf of Solomon" because of his exploits in his white Zaku II High Mobility Test Type around the asteroid fortress of Solomon.
Overall, the Zaku II High Mobility Test Type proved to be an incredibly popular design. With its increased armor and fuel capacity, the design was a vast improvement over the standard Zaku II. Nevertheless, a more advanced version was produced, known as the MS-06R-1A High Mobility Type Zaku II. Of the twenty-two MS-06R-1 units produced, ten were converted into MS-06R-1A types.
Notes and Trivia